MFA 2017 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

thebestartistintheworld

On 4/7/2017 at 8:07 AM, LingX22 said:

Congrats! I just got informed that I am on the waitlist, so fingers cross. I have not been able to get in contact with them through email at all. I want to ask how many people there are on the waitlist. 

Did you call them if you dont mind me asking? 

1 hour ago, akuyakuneko said:

Did you call them if you dont mind me asking? 

No I just got an email from admission office with the decision, but then I can't receive a response from the department since. How about you?

16 minutes ago, LingX22 said:

No I just got an email from admission office with the decision, but then I can't receive a response from the department since. How about you?

nothing yet I has been hesitating...Maybe I should make a call... 

43 minutes ago, akuyakuneko said:

nothing yet I has been hesitating...Maybe I should make a call... 

I haven't tried calling bcs I'm out of the state now so it's not so convenient for me to do so. 

13 hours ago, Vespertine said:

If your work is strong, and you're engaged with contemporary art enough to know the "right" way to speak/write about your work... I don't think a BFA is necessary. You can learn all of these things and even show your work without a BFA -- it'll just take some effort to catch up.

Especially not if you already have an undergraduate degree. Unless you have unlimited funds (and time!) to throw around, paying for a second bachelor's degree just as a pathway towards applying for an MFA is pretty reckless. 

I was honest in my interviews and said that getting an MFA was an opportunity to get what I missed out on (art school experience) in undergrad, and I think the interviewers appreciated that. 

Hey Vespertine, I like being in the creative space but I felt I wanted something more challenging to chew on. I don't think I'm ready for graduate school, I want to learn more before a level of independence is expected from my work. I was honestly more focused on getting the undergrad experience that apparently shapes you brilliantly, not seeing it as a route to another degree, but maybe give more clarity. But I already have 2 liberal arts degrees from India, so I was being advised that my tendency to explore will be limited because I have done that already. 

I was looking at post bacc programs, but some are saying that a year won't be enough, and it'll be a compromise. 

14 hours ago, Yetti said:

I had a Bachelor of Science degree and though my portfolio got me into some really great interviews (Columbia, Yale, Goldsmiths) some interviewers verbalized their issues with my undergrad degree.

I went the route of exhibiting heavily with recent MFA grads and learning by doing. There is a bias against applicants without a BFA at some schools. I feel like not having a BFA opens your work to a degree of skepticism and requires a stronger portfolio or perhaps just more 'flexing' of your ability to understand art intellectually. 

I dont believe that you'd need a BFA, but you should be aware that  some schools take issue. I strongly recommend against getting a BFA if you think it would be a step backwards in developing your work. If you think you might benefit from the education (not the degree) I'd consider a few short "Post-Bac" or summer programs. 

Best of luck

hi Yetti, 
What did you major in? I want to do it the right way. In the sense, it doesn't matter if I don't have an MFA as long as I get the clarity and skill set along with artistic maturity. What I'm doubting is whether art is what I want to go all out for, and whether I have it in me to be an artist and lacking is conviction. I wasn't sure about doing another BFA, rather doing another BA. But I've done two liberal arts degree from India, and pretty much explored everything there was to except for art history and lietrature (in depth) as opposed to the other subjects that I studied. 

Not sure if MFA is in the cards. It's a choice between a post bacc year long degree or 4 years of undergrad.

@oliveoil  hey! have you heard anything from RCA? Ive tried calling a few times Over the past week and a half but nobody picks up. Soooo I've decided to wait for my official acceptance letter to come in the mail  and *hope* they offer me some sort of funding ... :/

Have you been able to reach anyone there? 

4 hours ago, strawberry_jam said:

@oliveoil  hey! have you heard anything from RCA? Ive tried calling a few times Over the past week and a half but nobody picks up. Soooo I've decided to wait for my official acceptance letter to come in the mail  and *hope* they offer me some sort of funding ... :/

I haven't had any replies from my future dept at the RCA either, I did get a reply from the RCA student disability office but that was in regard to another matter.

6 hours ago, strawberry_jam said:

1 hour ago, Echo_in_ground said:

I haven't had any replies from my future dept at the RCA either, I did get a reply from the RCA student disability office but that was in regard to another matter.

Hi hi! So I haven't heard anything from them yet, but I called them on Thursday because I wanted to know what sort of paperwork I needed to prove that I was an EU citizen to get the EU discount — but turns out you have to also have been living in Euorpe for the last three years...  womp womp. So I then inquired about scholarships and financial aid and the response from the receptionist was — we don't really offer that, but we do give out loan packages... you will receive all of this information when you receive your official acceptance. She said that we would receive this via email by the 12th. 

So financial help there really does not sound too promising — which is a total bummer because on top of the tuition London is just so damn $$$! :(

48 minutes ago, sssettam said:

Hi all,

I've been pretty quiet on this forum but thought I'd share my results.

After much consideration I ended up accepting a full ride offer with a GTF and a university fellowship from UCSB. I feel super grateful to have the opportunity to go into a program with such substantial support.

It was my first application season and a tough one. I received quite a few rejections from my top picks. In the beginning of this process I honestly did not see myself ending up at UCSB. I've thought about the option of reapplying for one of my initial 'dream' schools but when it comes down to it I can't see a better outcome than paid for school, incredible facilities, large studios, supportive and interesting faculty-- Jenni Sorkin is also in the Art History dept (as someone who works with weaving this is super exciting!), close proximity to LA + the theory behind the program is the right fit for me. I'm getting more and more excited day by day :) 

My advice for future applicants: visit schools!! I had all these ideas in my head about certain schools from research and reputation. Actually seeing the place IRL and meeting the people is a very different experience. I interviewed at Northwestern and felt disconnected from the faculty which made it clear to me that it wasn't the right program for me. At UCSB there was an immediate connection. In the end I think ANY program has pro's and con's. You just have to know that you will be able and willing to navigate any con's that exist. 

Congratulations to everyone who has accepted offers this year! 

You and I have had a similar experience this round, and I cannot agree with you enough about visiting schools.

I received rejections from my top picks as well, and was preparing to start trying for the next year. I didn't know a whole ton about NYU, I applied due to encouragement from one of my mentors, so the invitation to interview was a surprise. I did it in-person, and got to see the campus, meet the faculty, and students. I'm so glad I did, the quality of their facilities were more impressive after I went to visit one of my top choices for comparison. That program's studio buildings weren't even up to code! Always, always visit the schools, and hang out with the current students to get insider information.

@oliveoil NO WAY! Aw man I'm sorry to hear that ... ugh that would be incredible to be able to pay the UK/EU rate. I hope you get funding ( ... if that even exists at the RCA ... which at this point I'm not sure it actually does). l o l 

I emailed the financial aid office about a month before I decided to apply and asked if they offer any sort of funding to students and someone there replied to me saying that funding is based on portfolio strength and interview performance and that their scholarships operate on an "email invitation basis". I don't know if "funding" and "scholarships" are the same thing (if the guy in Financial Aid was using the terms intermittently) or if these are two separate entities at the RCA ... 

The thing that sucks is the RCA isn't on the list of schools that the Canadian gov't issues loans for. So even if I decided to go (and pay 28k GBP per year) there doesn't seem to be a way for me to put together the funds. 

I don't know dude ... I hope we're wrong about this and we get offered some sort of funding. I'll let you know what's laid out in my acceptance package (if anything) ;)
Good luck!!! 

Finally got my financial aid letter for Yale! Wanted to give an update because there are so few accounts of Yale's aid on the board & also want to destress a little. I ended up getting quite a lot less than expected—24k for this year in scholarship + work study. My parent's financial contribution number was way higher than I thought it would be. I felt pretty panicked at first, but I have been reminding myself that in the scheme of MFA programs, 24k is a relatively high offer. I'm really lucky that my mum is able to help out some (though she can't meet the number Yale gave by a mile) and my partner is also going to provide some financial support. After some spreadsheets of calculating living expenses, how much I can save in the next 4 months by moving out of my studio early, taking into consideration their support, etc, the number is a lot less scary. Supposedly the 2nd year awards are better, though I'll have burnt through my savings by that point. Hopefully I will be able to only take out 20k for the two years. I feel uncomfortable and a little ashamed to ask my loved ones to help me get a degree that might not pay itself off. :\ It can feel indulgent. The prospect of floundering as an artist after receiving that generosity is scarier than paying $400-500/month for ten years after graduation. Still, I know that Yale will both personally give me the best chance to succeed & the best environment to push my practice—I just need to take the leap.

Sorry for a bit of a directionless rant, I wanted to get it off my chest & I'm sure there are others going through similar things. 

Wondering if anybody here knows when the UCLA MFA (specialization in painting) responds about acceptance/rejection. I had an interview on March 1st and have been checking my email every day non-stop. 

Also I've been accepted into UPenn (MFA), MICA (Hoffberger), and Tyler (Painting), so would be happy to help anyone who needs info on any of these programs. Good luck everyone, and if anyone knows anything about the UCLA timeline I'd really appreciate some info! 

14 hours ago, sylviecerise said:

Finally got my financial aid letter for Yale! Wanted to give an update because there are so few accounts of Yale's aid on the board & also want to destress a little. I ended up getting quite a lot less than expected—24k for this year in scholarship + work study. My parent's financial contribution number was way higher than I thought it would be. I felt pretty panicked at first, but I have been reminding myself that in the scheme of MFA programs, 24k is a relatively high offer. I'm really lucky that my mum is able to help out some (though she can't meet the number Yale gave by a mile) and my partner is also going to provide some financial support. After some spreadsheets of calculating living expenses, how much I can save in the next 4 months by moving out of my studio early, taking into consideration their support, etc, the number is a lot less scary. Supposedly the 2nd year awards are better, though I'll have burnt through my savings by that point. Hopefully I will be able to only take out 20k for the two years. I feel uncomfortable and a little ashamed to ask my loved ones to help me get a degree that might not pay itself off. :\ It can feel indulgent. The prospect of floundering as an artist after receiving that generosity is scarier than paying $400-500/month for ten years after graduation. Still, I know that Yale will both personally give me the best chance to succeed & the best environment to push my practice—I just need to take the leap.

Sorry for a bit of a directionless rant, I wanted to get it off my chest & I'm sure there are others going through similar things.

I wish you the best! :)

So I just called up MICA and they've extended my declaration of intent deadline from the 13th to the 15th. From what I know, RIT is making final decisions on applicants tonight so I should tentatively be hearing from them tomorrow. That'll give me a solid two and a half days to weigh out the better option (assuming I'm given options).

Hey guys,

So I'm considering turning down my offers from SAIC and BU in hopes of getting a better financial package next year, for anyone that has reapplied to a school/program, do you need a totally new portfolio, or can you include some of the same pieces next time around??

Thanks!

5 hours ago, heyyyyyyah said:

Hey guys,

So I'm considering turning down my offers from SAIC and BU in hopes of getting a better financial package next year, for anyone that has reapplied to a school/program, do you need a totally new portfolio, or can you include some of the same pieces next time around??

Thanks!

Have you appealed for more money from SAIC? I don't know if they'll give you anything significant, but I know they have an appeals process if you want to try. 

On 4/10/2017 at 4:30 PM, YayYayYay said:

You and I have had a similar experience this round, and I cannot agree with you enough about visiting schools.

I received rejections from my top picks as well, and was preparing to start trying for the next year. I didn't know a whole ton about NYU, I applied due to encouragement from one of my mentors, so the invitation to interview was a surprise. I did it in-person, and got to see the campus, meet the faculty, and students. I'm so glad I did, the quality of their facilities were more impressive after I went to visit one of my top choices for comparison. That program's studio buildings weren't even up to code! Always, always visit the schools, and hang out with the current students to get insider information.

Congrats on NYU :) 

On 4/11/2017 at 7:30 AM, YayYayYay said:

congrats on NYU!!!

I am waitlisted but decided to wait as I was given a skype introduction after my interview about this program and really liked it. 

On 4/10/2017 at 8:33 AM, LingX22 said:

LingX22 I just received my email! Good luck and finger crossed...

9 minutes ago, akuyakuneko said:

congrats on NYU!!!

I am waitlisted but decided to wait as I was given a skype introduction after my interview about this program and really liked it. 

LingX22 I just received my email! Good luck and finger crossed...

That is great! Yea fingers cross, I haven't been able to sleep tight for couple months now. lol hopefully we can all get a closure by this weekend.

On 4/9/2017 at 11:41 AM, junglemath said:

Hello everyone,

Is there anyone who has applied for the MFA program in painting at UC San Diego? I am curious as to how many pieces they require you to submit as part of your portfolio.

Thank you

I think it was 20, really great program

Got accepted to RCA and Cranbrook (both painting) this week. What a difficult decision to make.

Does anyone have any knowledge about the art scene in Detroit and how well Cranbrook connects you with people from outside of that area?

What mostly steers me in the direction of RCA right now is that I feel it might be easier to build a network in London. Both schools seem to be a great program with their own benefits.

Also Tuition at RCA would be significantly less, as I would probably qualify for the Home/EU fees (£9500 per year). Even if I have to pay the overseas fees (£28,400 per year) it would be slightly less then the $38'000 at Cranbrook which I'm not even sure whether they're per year or semester...

Any info on either schools would be greatly appreciated.

I feel like this puts more pressure than joy on me right now, especially because Cranbrook only gives you 2 weeks to decide. I am trying to also let the happiness push through and am definitely proud to get into both of these schools.