Fall 2017 Applicants

Bschaefer

Has anybody had any experience asking for an extension on the decision date? I don't think I'll hear back from one program before April 15th and I wonder if it would be better to ask for an extension or make my decision hypothetically. 

1 hour ago, epi_gene said:

Has anybody had any experience asking for an extension on the decision date? I don't think I'll hear back from one program before April 15th and I wonder if it would be better to ask for an extension or make my decision hypothetically. 

If it really gets down to the wire and you need to make a decision, there would be nothing wrong with contacting the admissions office/DGS to ask about your admissions status, especially if it's a program at the top of your list and you want some time to think about it.

On 3/28/2017 at 3:02 PM, mountaintear said:

Greetings all,

Has anyone heard anything from Vanderbilt recently? The anticipation is absolutely killing me; I've not recieved a rejection, acceptance, or notification of being waitlisted.

Thanks for reading and the best of luck to everyone who is still waiting or deciding!

On 3/28/2017 at 7:48 PM, sierra918 said:

I'll pm you.

Sorry to bother you guys, but have you heard anything? 

I got offers from Toronto and Oxford, but still no word on funding from either. Toronto I know funds at least 4 years and Oxford... well much harder to get money from them. But then all the other questions... PhD vs DPhil, 4 years vs 6, teaching experience or no teaching experience, academic career ambitions or career outside of the academy. Gah! I'm really happy but so undecided.

Has anyone heard if Humboldt State University's applied anthro masters program has sent out acceptance or rejection emails/letters yet? The anticipation is killer. I honestly need to move on and plan my next step. *twiddling my thumbs and toes over here*:wacko:

Hey guys,

What's the protocol for asking for feedback on applications? 

I was rejected from the PhD programs at my top choices, but several of them offered me admission into their MA programs, which is encouraging (though I won't be accepting any MA offers.) Obviously I want to improve my PhD application for the next time around -- what's the best way to get feedback from those departments?

4 hours ago, DancinFool said:

Hey guys,

I was rejected from the PhD programs at my top choices, but several of them offered me admission into their MA programs, which is encouraging (though I won't be accepting any MA offers.) Obviously I want to improve my PhD application for the next time around -- what's the best way to get feedback from those departments?

You could try emailing the DGS at these departments, or perhaps specific profs you want to work with. Send them your SOP and writing sample, explain your background, and ask for feedback. The SOP is super important-- basically don't assume they'll know who you are, and what your application entailed. There has to be something for them to read and thereby provide feedback. 

If I may ask: is there a reason why you don't want to do the MA? It sounds like from your first post way back, you'd only be interested in the MA if that would allow you to enter a PhD program as a 2nd year student (which I've never heard of).  I guess the question is, why the rush? Especially if you only graduated with a BA back in 2013. Plenty of people enter grad school a few years out of undergrad. Btw, you might want to look at applying to Ox/Bridge Masters programs as a backup. They're quick-- 1 year. I had a TA that did that in order to convert her history degree for PhD apps. 

On 4/7/2017 at 10:48 AM, DancinFool said:

Hey guys,

I also want to add onto what runningwithquills was talking about for MA programs. It is becoming increasingly more common for PhD programs to prefer admitting students who already have their MA because it shows how serious they are about their studies and it shows that they are prepared for original research. I would seriously consider one of the MA offers because it will look better when you start the PhD applications again in the future.

On 4/7/2017 at 2:58 PM, runningwithquills said:

You could try emailing the DGS at these departments, or perhaps specific profs you want to work with. Send them your SOP and writing sample, explain your background, and ask for feedback. The SOP is super important-- basically don't assume they'll know who you are, and what your application entailed. There has to be something for them to read and thereby provide feedback. 

If I may ask: is there a reason why you don't want to do the MA? It sounds like from your first post way back, you'd only be interested in the MA if that would allow you to enter a PhD program as a 2nd year student (which I've never heard of).  I guess the question is, why the rush? Especially if you only graduated with a BA back in 2013. Plenty of people enter grad school a few years out of undergrad. Btw, you might want to look at applying to Ox/Bridge Masters programs as a backup. They're quick-- 1 year. I had a TA that did that in order to convert her history degree for PhD apps. 

On 4/8/2017 at 4:55 PM, bioarch_fan said:

I also want to add onto what runningwithquills was talking about for MA programs. It is becoming increasingly more common for PhD programs to prefer admitting students who already have their MA because it shows how serious they are about their studies and it shows that they are prepared for original research. I would seriously consider one of the MA offers because it will look better when you start the PhD applications again in the future.

I've heard that MAs give you a leg up for PhD apps, but I'm very hesitant to take an MA-only offer for 2 reasons:

1. The money is backwards -- PhDs are funded (+$), whereas for an MA I would at best get a scholarship (-$ or $0). 

2. Risk -- There's always the chance that I leave my current job, move across the country for 2 years, get an MA, but then don't get into the PhD programs I want. In which case I would be, frankly, screwed.  

Aren't these pretty strong reasons not to get a standalone MA?

Edited by DancinFool

7 hours ago, DancinFool said:

I've heard that MAs give you a leg up for PhD apps, but I'm very hesitant to take an MA-only offer for 2 reasons:

1. The money is backwards -- PhDs are funded (+$), whereas for an MA I would at best get a scholarship (-$ or $0). 

2. Risk -- There's always the chance that I leave my current job, move across the country for 2 years, get an MA, but then don't get into the PhD programs I want. In which case I would be, frankly, screwed.  

Aren't these pretty strong reasons not to get a standalone MA?

I would actually argue opposite from the funding situation. PhDs aren't always funded, and neither are MAs. But there are many MAs that do fund. My current school funds most of their students and so does University of Alabama and Georgia State. These are just 3 of the schools off the top of my head that I know of MAs who received funding.

Yes, I'll agree with the second one but that's kind of the thing with academia...it's not always a sure thing. I can't tell you what to do...you're the only one who can do that. But I can say that most of the time it is easier to get into a PhD program with a MA than without. I've actually heard of people being denied at specific schools for a PhD because they didn't have an MA and other people did.

• 2 weeks later...

I have not been able to post for awhile, but I wanted to say that I got accepted into my dream school! I cried after reading the message. Apparently, I was waitlisted (no one told me), and so when I emailed to verify my status, (I was ready to be rejected and thinking of interning or volunteering or taking a class in the summer) it said that I was waitlisted, but there is a spot for me! I never thought I would get in. Can't wait for fall now!

To anyone who is struggling with the decision of either going for a master or thinking the program is too competitive, APPLY! You never know the ending result, be it bad or good, APPLY! I did! XD

1 hour ago, Mugi Mila said:

I have not been able to post for awhile, but I wanted to say that I got accepted into my dream school! I cried after reading the message. Apparently, I was waitlisted (no one told me), and so when I emailed to verify my status, (I was ready to be rejected and thinking of interning or volunteering or taking a class in the summer) it said that I was waitlisted, but there is a spot for me! I never thought I would get in. Can't wait for fall now!

To anyone who is struggling with the decision of either going for a master or thinking the program is too competitive, APPLY! You never know the ending result, be it bad or good, APPLY! I did! XD

Congratulations!!!