Jump to content

Fall 2017 Applicants


Recommended Posts

50 minutes ago, epi_gene said:

I haven't heard officially from Harvard yet. But I called the department administrator and she told me she *thinks* a couple people have been interviewed, and that replies will start going out within the next two weeks. I'm starting to think things are slim for me on that front though, but best of luck to you!

Good luck to you as well! I don't believe I have a great chance either. I more just wanted to know definitively before I commit to another program.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 791
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Admission offered from UT Austin today! After two years of rejection I have been admitted to all 3 programs I applied to. Keep on keeping on!

Heard back from my POI at Syracuse, funded for four years with a pretty good chance at getting a fifth year through the Maxwell School!  It feels so good to have a realistic (read: funded) PhD option!

I got into Syracuse!!!  I got the email 45 minutes before my UVA interview - talk about a rollercoaster of emotions!  I went from anxiety over the interview to freaking out over the acceptance and bac

Posted Images

7 minutes ago, Medanth013 said:

Anyone else get a rejection from Yale signed by the genetics and molecular biology professor, stating they had 10k applicants? O.o 

 

Whaaaat? I'm anthro......

I did too!  I was very confused..and disappointed. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Medanth013 said:

Anyone else get a rejection from Yale signed by the genetics and molecular biology professor, stating they had 10k applicants? O.o 

 

Whaaaat? I'm anthro......

The genetics and molecular biology person is the dean of the graduate school of arts and sciences. I'm assuming the form rejection went to everyone rejected from the graduate school regardless of what department you applied to. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I had an interview with Hopkins on the 17th of Feb, (notified of interview on 15th) and was accepted on the 22nd. Good luck! Their admission process is confusing, I noticed on the results page that two people were admitted even before I had my interview. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, enfp said:

I had an interview with Hopkins on the 17th of Feb, (notified of interview on 15th) and was accepted on the 22nd. Good luck! Their admission process is confusing, I noticed on the results page that two people were admitted even before I had my interview. 

Thanks! There is no change on my admission status. A rejection letter would work, too.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, hantoo said:

Can anyone claim the UPenn admit and let us know whether or not you interviewed in the weeks before you were accepted, and your subfield? :rolleyes:

Seconded, and with the added, if you could be so kind as to let us know if it was an informal/formal notification? Thanks!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Can anyone speak for activity happening with MIT HASTS? I am positive I am rejected (no interview request and I've been rejected from less prestigious schools, indicating my app isn't up to snuff), but I only saw one interview submitted on the survey page and haven't seen anything else. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/1/2017 at 6:53 AM, Mugi Mila said:

Has anyone heard from Boston University or Mercyhurst University for the Forensic Anthropology Master program? 

I got my acceptance into BU's M.Sc yesterday. However, since their application due date was also yesterday, it might be a while!

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, GreenEyedTrombonist said:

NYU rejections have started rolling out. Pretty much just waiting for one more rejection to finish off this season so I can start working towards applying next season. :) 

They'd be lucky to have you! You are a source of support and all around positive human being, I know that if you want a PhD, it will be there eventually. Thanks for being so cool to everyone this year.

Link to post
Share on other sites

@AnthropologyNRT Thank you! I definitely think this forum helped me identify ways to improve my application for next year. :) I hope that I've contributed to the same takeaway for others.

I also got that final rejection a few hours after NYU, haha.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Yiwan_Soc_2016 said:

my gf got rejected from UC Davis. Undergrad & MA GPA 4.0, 3 strong letters from Cornell, great research fit in animal anthropology. I guess she didn't have enough field work experience. Sad!

I'm into 'animal anthropology' too. Not in the gross way of course. I think this is a real niche, difficult to find a spot (I didn't get accepted this round).

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi all! I was wondering if anyone is currently dealing with/has experience negotiating funding offers. I'm in a bit of a conundrum: I got into my top choice (yay!) and my last choice, but my last choice is offering a much, much better fellowship. Obviously, I want to go to my first choice for its fit/strength as a program, but the reality is that I also need to pay rent, eat, etc. I am comfortable with the idea of negotiating, as this was suggested as a possibility by both my current advisor and the faculty at the program, but I'm not sure how to word this sort of email. I don't want to come across like money is all that matters here, because it's not. But as things currently stand, there is just no way I can make my dream program happen. Thoughts? Help!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Which schools, if you don't mind me asking? I was accepted to UC Irvine and Rice thus far and had no problem just being up front with Irvine about the counter offer from Rice. I don't think anyone will be offended if you leverage. Its how it is done.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi everyone! I am new to the forum and was wondering if anyone here could provide me with a little advice. A couple of weeks ago I received an email from the admissions chair at CUNY, inviting me to attend one of their weekly colloquia and receptions on either March 3rd or March 10th. Due to my schedule being relatively packed at the moment, I chose to accept the invitation for the 10th. The email also stated that I had "made the second cut" out of their pool of applicants, that they were currently nominating people for fellowships and compiling wait lists and hoping to make decisions by the middle of March. I was then asked to let them know if I was still interested in CUNY or if I had made other plans.

Personally, I found this confusing. I am not certain whether this means they are compiling wait lists for fellowships or still deciding on admissions and compiling wait lists for that as well. I am planning on attending the colloquia on March 10th, but there is no actual interview set up to go along with this event. In fact, I have not been asked to interview with CUNY at all. The email simply said they would like to "get to know me better," since they know I live in the NYC area. This sounds relatively informal and is something I would have expected to occur either much earlier in the application process or after an offer of admission has been made.

Given all of that, here is my question: Do you think it would be worthwhile for me to contact the admissions chair and ask for clarity concerning the current status of my application? I should add that since I accepted the invitation to attend the colloquia, I have received two admission offers at other schools. As CUNY's admissions director asked what my current situation was in his original email, would it be a good idea for me to mention that as well? At the moment CUNY is my top choice and I would not want to hurt my chances for admission (if I'm not admitted yet? very confusing) by pumping people for information, especially when I am visiting next week anyway... At the same time, a couple of my friends have suggested that I should be leveraging my acceptances with CUNY and that this might actually increase my chance of being admitted rather than wait listed. 

I would sincerely appreciate hearing what anyone here thinks!

Edited by MollyBee
Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, MollyBee said:

Hi everyone! I am new to the forum and was wondering if anyone here could provide me with a little advice. A couple of weeks ago I received an email from the admissions chair at CUNY, inviting me to attend one of their weekly colloquia and receptions on either March 3rd or March 10th. Due to my schedule being relatively packed at the moment, I chose to accept the invitation for the 10th. The email also stated that I had "made the second cut" out of their pool of applicants, that they were currently nominating people for fellowships and compiling wait lists and hoping to make decisions by the middle of March. I was then asked to let them know if I was still interested in CUNY or if I had made other plans.

Personally, I found this confusing. I am not certain whether this means they are compiling wait lists for fellowships or still deciding on admissions and compiling wait lists for that as well. I am planning on attending the colloquia on March 10th, but there is no actual interview set up to go along with this event. In fact, I have not been asked to interview with CUNY at all. The email simply said they would like to "get to know me better," since they know I live in the NYC area. This sounds relatively informal and is something I would have expected to occur either much earlier in the application process or after an offer of admission has been made.

Given all of that, here is my question: Do you think it would be worthwhile for me to contact the admissions chair and ask for clarity concerning the current status of my application? I should add that since I accepted the invitation to attend the colloquia, I have received two admission offers at other schools. As CUNY's admissions director asked what my current situation was in his original email, would it be a good idea for me to mention that as well? At the moment CUNY is my top choice and I would not want to hurt my chances for admission (if I'm not admitted yet? very confusing) by pumping people for information, especially when I am visiting next week anyway... At the same time, a couple of my friends have suggested that I should be leveraging my acceptances with CUNY and that this might actually increase my chance of being admitted rather than wait listed. 

I would sincerely appreciate hearing what anyone here thinks!

I would totally contact the admissions chair and ask for clarity. I have been in communication with them over the last couple of weeks and I was also notified via email of having made the second cut but without an offer to attend any colloquia. That said, I was interviewed and they did ask me at some point along the way if I was still interested in the program - I think this is to avoid investing energy/time/etc. in students who already know that they are definitely going somewhere else.

I have had candid conversations with faculty there, and they were fully aware that I had two other (very attractive) offers when they decided to offer me admission - was officially notified this morning. If CUNY is your top choice, tell them and start getting comfortable having frank discussions with them - you definitely won't hurt your chances by seeking clarity around a process that they readily admit is painful and sometime confusing so that you can mutually invest the next 7-9 years in each other. And, they know full well that if you're a strong enough candidate to make a second cut with them that you are likely to have multiple offers.

I hope that helps, and feel free to ask more questions of me too! Good luck!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.