HGSE 2017

aina7

I hope you are right Espeon! I would love to hear back soon, the waiting is so tough... Definitely keep us posted if you hear back, and I will do the same.

15 hours ago, pj060690 said:

@W. Cardwell Just curious to know- do we get to know about any financial aid/scholarships along with the application decision?

They're two separate processes.  I got my decision before I got my financial aid information.  I found everything out by checking my accounts online and then following up with the necessary departments on campus with questions. 

Hello! 

I've applied to HGSE's Ed. L. D. Education Leadership program for fall 2017 and am hoping to receive an invitation to interview this week. Has anyone on the forum applied and received invitation to interview yet? 

Cheers!

Just got the call from the Dean of Admissions! Accepted to the PhD program. My Advisor will call me later this week. Accepted Students days are March 5th and 6th.

1 hour ago, Lbug said:

Just got the call from the Dean of Admissions! Accepted to the PhD program. My Advisor will call me later this week. Accepted Students days are March 5th and 6th.

Congratulations! :) I also got the call from the Dean informing me of my acceptance into the PhD (HDLT) program! Good luck to everyone else still waiting. 

@pj060690 If you look at the HGSE 2016 thread you can get an idea of what admitted students got last year. The Urban Scholars award is very competitive but provides full tuition. It's my understanding that the vast majority of students get $10k-$20k in need based aid and have to take out loans.

One of my recommenders did not have an organizational email address so she had to give her gmail address. I was expecting HGSE to call and follow-up for security reasons because the application said HGSE might follow up in those cases. She hasn't heard anything. Did any of your recommenders get calls from HGSE. Is the fact that HGSE isn't trying to verify that her recommendation is legitimate a bad sign?

On 22/11/2016 at 9:45 AM, graciasadios said:

Current SLP student here.

The mode and average age of SLP students this year is approximately 28 years old. The youngest is 25 and the oldest is 40+. @Vulpix is generally accurate in saying that SLP is older than other programs because the state requires 3 years of teaching experience in order to become a principal. The program with the oldest average age, in my estimation, is the Ed.L.D. The programs with the youngest students are the ones without a work experience requirement (e.g. EPM, PSP, MBE, AiE etc.) In my biased opinion, SLP is the strongest master's program followed by EPM.

@cavenue I would say that SLP wants to see leadership skills more than administrative experience. The program does not expect you to already be a principal before enrolling in a program to become a principal. They want to see that you have a track record of leadership skills (e.g. curriculum design, instructional leadership, community engagement etc.)

The Urban Scholars Fellowship (USF) is merit-based. I'm not certain, but my understanding is that the Director handpicks the top candidates who they really want to matriculate. I was told that there is usually one USF per program. SLP has three USFs this year, which indicates the quality of our cohort and the generosity of HGSE. The three students selected were: Yale TFA, Yale TFA, and Vassar. Let's just say that USF means you write a single paragraph and if HGSE really, really wants you then they offer you the USF. I think they care more about your overall profile than your test scores or GPA. My recommendation for your USF application is to tell an emotionally-moving story that talks about equity and leadership. Also, if you happen to earn the USF, I recommend not telling other students in your cohort. You don't have to hide it, but definitely don't flaunt it.

I'd be happy to send my Statement of Purpose to anyone in a personal message. For the record, my scores were nearly identical to yours @cavenue  :) 

Hi! Thank you for your post! Would you mind to share your SoP with me too? 

9 hours ago, jmaroon said:

@pj060690 If you look at the HGSE 2016 thread you can get an idea of what admitted students got last year. The Urban Scholars award is very competitive but provides full tuition. It's my understanding that the vast majority of students get $10k-$20k in need based aid and have to take out loans.

Thank you! Am going to be highly dependent on both need and merit (of course only if I get in!) I have applied for the Urban Scholars award but wasn't sure about how probable it is for International students to get the award. 

5 hours ago, EdM_Hopeful_Applicant said:

One of my recommenders did not have an organizational email address so she had to give her gmail address. I was expecting HGSE to call and follow-up for security reasons because the application said HGSE might follow up in those cases. She hasn't heard anything. Did any of your recommenders get calls from HGSE. Is the fact that HGSE isn't trying to verify that her recommendation is legitimate a bad sign?

I don't think it's a bad sign. Has your recommender written for others applying to HGSE before? If yes, they may have her email in the system. 

13 hours ago, jmaroon said:

@pj060690 It's my understanding that the vast majority of students get $10k-$20k in need based aid and have to take out loans.

The HGSE Grant is need-based and the maximum amount (as of 2016-2017) is $14k. Unfortunately, many people are not offered any financial aid besides federal loans. Here is a spreadsheet that I made last year to catalog financial aid profiles. I was initially offered $10k HGSE Grant and was able to get Federal Work Study by going to the Financial Aid Office and requesting it. Also, the second sheet of this spreadsheet has admittance profiles. 

11 hours ago, EdM_Hopeful_Applicant said:

I also had a recommender without an organizational e-mail address - I don't believe there has been any follow-up in my case either (although I can't say for sure because I haven't spoken with this particular recommender and I guess it's always possible she received a phone call or something.) I wouldn't worry about it. It seems to me that they would only "investigate" the recommender if the recommendation seemed unusual or out of the ordinary. 

Edited by cavenue

19 hours ago, arvindilamaran said:

Hey guys,

Anyone from EPPE who got the call?

It's all crickets on my end when it comes to EPPE. I wonder if they have offered PhD admissions yet for EPPE.