HGSE 2017

aina7

13 minutes ago, Espeon said:

It's officially mid to late this week... anybody else excited?

Ahhh! My pessimism is at record levels. Hard to be excited when you're certain you'll be rejected. I'm excited for the possibility of a positive outcome, I suppose!

Well, excited about the possibility of a positive outcome I guess. Lol. I'm still sad about the all-but-rejection from Vandy, but I'm choosing to be optimistic! That's the only way I'll get through this week. 

4 minutes ago, Espeon said:

Well, excited about the possibility of a positive outcome I guess. Lol. I'm still sad about the all-but-rejection from Vandy, but I'm choosing to be optimistic! That's the only way I'll get through this week. 

I'm with you--I'm doing everything I can to stay positive. I'm actually an absurdly up-beat person; I've never had any process affect me like this has. Sorry about Vandy. I anticipate that this HGSE rejection/interview will be my first result of the season, so I'm not entirely sure how it's going to feel one way or another. I only applied to six schools total--and five of them are absurdly competitive. I'm starting to think that I approached this whole process a bit too optimistically from the outset.

3 hours ago, jmaroon said:

My friend who works at HGSE says that he's 98% certain interviews will go out through email tomorrow (and the interviews will be the scheduled for ASAP, like next week). Sending lots of positive vibes to all the PhD applicants!

Is that just for the PhDs? Not the EdLDs?

20 hours ago, jmaroon said:

My friend who works at HGSE says that he's 98% certain interviews will go out through email tomorrow (and the interviews will be the scheduled for ASAP, like next week). Sending lots of positive vibes to all the PhD applicants!

Exciting news - but also super nervous!! 

15 hours ago, jmaroon said:

@JankyGuitar @AppalachianAspirer Yes, it's just PhDs. EdLD most likely won't go out until first or second week of February since interviews aren't til February 23-24th.

Donee know whether invitees have their trip expenses covered? Or is it self-expensed?

8 minutes ago, JankyGuitar said:

Donee know whether invitees have their trip expenses covered? Or is it self-expensed?

Yeah, I believe their website states that Ph.D. interviews are done via Skype, as @cogdog noted. Pretty convenient, if you ask me!

1 hour ago, cogdog said:

I know PhD interviews are over Skype. Not sure about EdLD

The EdLD interviews are on campus. From their site:

"Once all applications have been reviewed, HGSE will invite selected Ed.L.D. applicants to campus for a day of required interviews (both individual and group) with members of the admissions committee. Interviews will take place on February 23-24, 2017."

Skype would be convenient, but given the cohort nature of the EdLD program, these group interviews make sense. This is why I'm curious about expenses. I'll miss two days of teaching and covering expenses myself would be hard.

3 minutes ago, JankyGuitar said:

The EdLD interviews are on campus. From their site:

"Once all applications have been reviewed, HGSE will invite selected Ed.L.D. applicants to campus for a day of required interviews (both individual and group) with members of the admissions committee. Interviews will take place on February 23-24, 2017."

Skype would be convenient, but given the cohort nature of the EdLD program, these group interviews make sense. This is why I'm curious about expenses. I'll miss two days of teaching and covering expenses myself would be hard.

Yeah, that's a really good point. I know I couldn't afford the time/money to travel across the country. I'd make it happen, no matter what, but it would put me in a tight spot. I did some quick googling/searching (as I'm sure you did as well) and couldn't find anything about reimbursement of costs. I'm sure that if (when) you get your interview they'll go over the possibility of reimbursement.

23 hours ago, jmaroon said:

I'm hoping the 2% chance that it wasn't sent yet came true! Still waiting over here, but hope is waveringggggg

8 minutes ago, higheredbee said:

I'm hoping the 2% chance that it wasn't sent yet came true! Still waiting over here, but hope is waveringggggg

I think there's a good chance that they haven't been sent out yet. I would think at least one person would've posted (this group has a lot of traffic). Good reason to be hopeful.

8 minutes ago, higheredbee said:

I don't think they've been sent yet. I am sure someone would have posted in the results survey. Last year, in the HGSE 2016 Thread, it looked like someone posted about their acceptance at like 8pm. So you never know!

9 minutes ago, Espeon said:

I don't think they've been sent yet. I am sure someone would have posted in the results survey. Last year, in the HGSE 2016 Thread, it looked like someone posted about their acceptance at like 8pm. So you never know!

I'm with you! I feel like someone would have posted if they had heard anything. Not sure when the admissions office closes but they could send them out in the next 30 min? haha

7 minutes ago, frissoli said:

I'm with you! I feel like someone would have posted if they had heard anything. Not sure when the admissions office closes but they could send them out in the next 30 min? haha

Yeah maybe they send them out right before they leave for the day. Putting off all the angry phone calls until the morning haha.