6 hours ago, Norma955 said:

I just checked!! My status has changed to "Review in progress by department" ..... does this mean I should find out soon? This is so nerve wracking. 

Once it's at recommended for assessment, that's when your application is sent to the admissions committee!

Hey guys!

I applied to NPSIA, but I was wondering if this program resulted automatically in a career in the public sector or I can still consider the private, considering that my first choice for the concentration is International Economic Policy

thanks

Edited by Aher

24 minutes ago, Aher said:

Hey guys!

I applied to NPSIA, but I was wondering if this program resulted automatically in a career in the public sector or I can still consider the private, considering that my first choice for the concentration is International Economic Policy

thanks

Apparently both NPSIA and GSPIA are pretty geared towards government (a GSPIA student estimated to me that perhaps 90% of NPSIA and GSPIA grads work for the federal government upon graduation). But I'm sure that you could still find private sector work. The co-op options are focused on government, I believe, so if you wanted to do co-op elsewhere (i.e. private sector, NGOs) you might have to find that yourself.

4 minutes ago, msat said:

Well, I was hoping Uottawa would've finalized my documents by today, but I guess that will have to wait until after reading break.

Have you called them over the past few days about this? I found that in the past week or so they've been much more responsive over the phone, actually taking the time to get your student number and go through each missing document (and fixing the problem by the next day). It seems that if you don't call, for some issues, they don't fix it on their own.

12 hours ago, Norma955 said:

I just checked!! My status has changed to "Review in progress by department" ..... does this mean I should find out soon? This is so nerve wracking. 

Here is a link for what the status updates means: https://graduate.carleton.ca/apply-online/application-status/

My app has been in 'recommended for assessment' since last week! Just waiting for the next step, which I am assuming might take place within the next two weeks. 

1 hour ago, JV-K said:

Have you called them over the past few days about this? I found that in the past week or so they've been much more responsive over the phone, actually taking the time to get your student number and go through each missing document (and fixing the problem by the next day). It seems that if you don't call, for some issues, they don't fix it on their own.

I'll try calling them again today. 

32 minutes ago, msat said:

I'll try calling them again today. 

Just called, they are dealing with a new system so the processing of LOR's are what is taking so long. As a result, they don't expect to start evaluations of applications for another 2 to 3 weeks.  

My NPSIA application is still stuck at 'Preliminary Review Required" smh. Hope to see some movement soon. In other news, UOttawa has sent me multiple emails over the last couple of days saying my application has been updated but its still "under evaluation".

1 hour ago, PoliticalNerd2017 said:

My NPSIA application is still stuck at 'Preliminary Review Required" smh. Hope to see some movement soon. In other news, UOttawa has sent me multiple emails over the last couple of days saying my application has been updated but its still "under evaluation".

Ugh mine too. uOttawa sent me an email saying my file is now complete and is ready to be evaluated - please expect an answer around the beginning of March" ( note that my application has been "under evaluation since before the deadline". 

5 hours ago, Hopeful2017 said:

Ugh mine too. uOttawa sent me an email saying my file is now complete and is ready to be evaluated - please expect an answer around the beginning of March" ( note that my application has been "under evaluation since before the deadline". 

Same here, I wrote to them but no response. 

1 hour ago, Hopeful2017 said:

Also just realized it's family day on Monday and the schools will be closed, so I guess no more movement until Tuesday.

Im pretty sure its reading week next week for most universities. Will administrative staff even be working during that time? Could be a whole week before movement starts again.

15 minutes ago, msat said:

Im pretty sure its reading week next week for most universities. Will administrative staff even be working during that time? Could be a whole week before movement starts again.

No the administration still works during reading week! I checked Carleton's website. 

2 minutes ago, PoliticalNerd2017 said:

Given the fact that classes aren't taking place and the campus will be far more quiet, I expect them to get even more done...

I agree! I think this week we will start to see some movement! The more I research the programs the more I'm dying to study at GSPIA. The profs are doing such cool research ( I follow some on Twitter) and they're so active and inspiring! I think we would all be super lucky to study there. Hoping we all get some answers next week :) 

Just now, Hopeful2017 said:

I agree! I think this week we will start to see some movement! The more I research the programs the more I'm dying to study at GSPIA. The profs are doing such cool research ( I follow some on Twitter) and they're so active and inspiring! I think we would all be super lucky to study there. Hoping we all get some answers next week :) 

I follow a couple of the profs as well and they seem very interesting! The more I look into it, the more I'm leaning to GSPIA. Hoping they let us know in the coming weeks.

So in reviewing the last couple years worth of threads, it looks like U of T's admissions typically start the last week of Feb/first week of March. So next week. And NPSIA's were later than usual last year - the 3 years before that it was between the 10th-15th. So the wait is almost over. Good luck y'all!