22 hours ago, DefeatistElitist said:

Anyone else find UOttawa's application process RIDICULOUS? Having to physically mail everything, needing official transcripts, not having an online form for referees.

Maybe I feel spoiled because Carleton and UofT's was so painless, but this is so inefficient I might just apply to BSIA as a backup instead...

Well you shouldn't feel too bad about it given that you are already done the other ones. I am currently working on my applications, but its slow going as I am in the midst of exams.

On 12/6/2016 at 6:11 PM, msat said:

Well you shouldn't feel too bad about it given that you are already done the other ones. I am currently working on my applications, but its slow going as I am in the midst of exams.

Same with me! I'll finish it up sometime in the Christmas break, but as of now, gotta focus on my grades for this semester.

I've applied to Carleton's Master of Public Policy and Administration, GPSIA and uOttawa's MA in Public Administration - all with coop. I'm wondering if I should apply to NPSIA too..how many graduate programs do people usually apply to? 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/20/2016 at 1:40 PM, Hopeful2017 said:

I've applied to Carleton's Master of Public Policy and Administration, GPSIA and uOttawa's MA in Public Administration - all with coop. I'm wondering if I should apply to NPSIA too..how many graduate programs do people usually apply to? 

I've informally read that the average is between 5 and 7 programs. 

On 20/12/2016 at 1:40 PM, Hopeful2017 said:

A professor once told me not to apply to more than 4--better to have fewer applications that are well done, as opposed to more that are mediocre since you're dividing your time between too many. 

I've applied to three programs myself, and am simply going to try concentrating my efforts on a smaller number of applications rather than sloppily handing in more. Anyways, the last month to hand in these applications for many programs! Hope its come along well for everyone else!!

On 1/7/2017 at 4:48 PM, Hopeful2017 said:

Anyone else received "Under Evaluation" for GPSIA?  

Yes, mine says "Status: Under Evaluation" and then below "Your file is now complete. We will inform you as soon as a decision has been reached."

I know that one of my references hasn't yet submitted his reference, so I'm not sure why they say my file is complete...it's not! Also, where they're supposed to check off which documents have been received, they only indicate that 2/8 of the required docs have been received. I must say, UOttawa's system is awful! I think I'll just wait until my last reference has submitted and then give them a call to be sure they actually have all my documents. 

16 hours ago, JV-K said:

Yes, mine says "Status: Under Evaluation" and then below "Your file is now complete. We will inform you as soon as a decision has been reached."

I know that one of my references hasn't yet submitted his reference, so I'm not sure why they say my file is complete...it's not! Also, where they're supposed to check off which documents have been received, they only indicate that 2/8 of the required docs have been received. I must say, UOttawa's system is awful! I think I'll just wait until my last reference has submitted and then give them a call to be sure they actually have all my documents. 

Same with mine! I know one of my references has not completed the form either - I think GPSIA is usually late in acknowledging the receipt of documents, I would call in a week or so and see the update! Hopefully the decisions come early this year :) 

1 minute ago, Hopeful2017 said:
5 hours ago, PoliticalNerd2017 said:

Question: Have you guys settled the NPSIA vs. GSPIA question yet? I'm inclined to pick NPSIA (if accepted..) but would love to hear your opinions

I was all for NPSIA until a recent GPSIA grad told me that the coop program at NPSIA is not very legitimate or official anymore. For example, my friend at GPSIA said she knew other friends who were getting coop placements at bank tellers in the NPSIA program. I know the big NPSIA strength is its reputation - however, I've heard that GPSIA has better opportunities for embassy internships and has a more guaranteed and legit coop program. From who I have talked to, GPSIA is very up and coming and has a lot of great opportunities. I would be cautious of picking a school for the prestige - for grad school, try and choose a program that will offer you the most secure coop opportunities, funding and engagement/networking with professors. What attracted me initially to NPSIA was the course-based option but after hearing testimonials from GPSIA grads, I'll be attending there if accepted.

I work at GAC currently and I have met so many employees who did their master's at GPSIA and loved it. That's my two cents!  

2 hours ago, Hopeful2017 said:

I was all for NPSIA until a recent GPSIA grad told me that the coop program at NPSIA is not very legitimate or official anymore. For example, my friend at GPSIA said she knew other friends who were getting coop placements at bank tellers in the NPSIA program. I know the big NPSIA strength is its reputation - however, I've heard that GPSIA has better opportunities for embassy internships and has a more guaranteed and legit coop program. From who I have talked to, GPSIA is very up and coming and has a lot of great opportunities. I would be cautious of picking a school for the prestige - for grad school, try and choose a program that will offer you the most secure coop opportunities, funding and engagement/networking with professors. What attracted me initially to NPSIA was the course-based option but after hearing testimonials from GPSIA grads, I'll be attending there if accepted.

I work at GAC currently and I have met so many employees who did their master's at GPSIA and loved it. That's my two cents!  

Thank you for sharing that! I too had questions about NPSIA's coop opportunities and funding.. I have heard things about how their prestigious image= lackluster funding offers, which is concerning for me. I am a Carleton student currently, and so NPSIA was and somewhat still is my top choice. But I do not want to simply follow the 'hype'... Hmmm, still debating back and forth. From my understanding, although NPSIA students have less opportunities in internships and coops, they have what seems like a 'school to dream job pipeline' going, and grads tend to go places...  It will be a tough decision if I get into both....

Another thing that is making it more difficult is the classes and professors. I find myself more interested a lot more of the GSPIA courses and profs over NPSIA's political economy geared offerings. I've also heard that GSPIA has smaller classrooms, but on the other hand, as a Carleton student, I have to say, the campus culture here is a lot more 'welcoming' than UOttawa. The last point might sound superficial, but I know I do better when I'm a bit more comfortable. Generally speaking, NPSIA seems like a close-knit bunch of professors and students that seems more inviting, and from NPSIA students I spoke to, this has been confirmed. Also, the coursework option offered at NPSIA sounds interesting, even if I currently plan to do a research paper. Hmm. But back to job opportunities, the embassy internships sound really intriguing, so much so, that I'm surprised that the renowned NPSIA program has no alternative....

People say GSPIA is on the rise, but enough so to turn down what is commonly thought of as the best in the country: NPSIA? I can't shake off the feeling that I'd be a fool to turn it down (if accepted) but all the pros of GSPIA are tempting.

This is interesting to hear. I am also totally split between NPSIA and GSPIA. I figure that I'll wait until offers come out and if I'm fortunate enough to be accepted into both, will see who offers the more attractive $ package and see if that can sway me into making a decision! I have talked at length with 1 current student from each program and both really LOVE their respective programs, have done interesting co-op positions, have generally great things to say about the quality of the professors, and seem confident that their program is a good stepping stone into the workplace. I'd have to say that when looking through the professors' profiles, GSPIA seems to match my interests more closely. I don't know if NPSIA's reputation is a bit hyped up, but it's certainly a factor in me wanting to go there. Of interest, the GSPIA student with whom I spoke has a roommate who is in NPSIA and the roommate says he thinks GSPIA is better (not sure why). Of course, that's just one opinion...

GPSIA in my opinions seems like a place where you can really make connections with your professors. Another thing I heard about NPSIA is that the classes are getting bigger and bigger, while GPSIA there is more opportunities to network with senior fellows. My biggest concern would definitely be the coop opportunities. Going to uOttawa for my undergrad, their coop program is amazing. It is very official and the second best in the country. NPSIA, after reading different NPSIAN blogs, I've heard that its not guaranteed, too much competition for jobs and some job placements are not even related to the field. That is a worry for me. I want to choose a grad school where I can secure coop placements. I've also applied to Carleton's MPPA, which seems to have a solid coop program. I guess the question is, if you were to evaluate the NPSIA without considering its "reputation" would you still pick it? 

5 hours ago, Hopeful2017 said:

GPSIA in my opinions seems like a place where you can really make connections with your professors. Another thing I heard about NPSIA is that the classes are getting bigger and bigger, while GPSIA there is more opportunities to network with senior fellows. My biggest concern would definitely be the coop opportunities. Going to uOttawa for my undergrad, their coop program is amazing. It is very official and the second best in the country. NPSIA, after reading different NPSIAN blogs, I've heard that its not guaranteed, too much competition for jobs and some job placements are not even related to the field. That is a worry for me. I want to choose a grad school where I can secure coop placements. I've also applied to Carleton's MPPA, which seems to have a solid coop program. I guess the question is, if you were to evaluate the NPSIA without considering its "reputation" would you still pick it? 

The person I've talked with at NPSIA (in his second year - a friend of a friend of mine) had very good things to say about NPSIA coop:

Carleton certainly has a certified coop program all year around. NPSIA had about 90% placement last summer and 95% placement last fall and winter. The coop program was what ultimately led me to the school and so far I've only been impressed. The job listings are mostly government (Global Affairs Canada, Public Safety, Agriculture, Health Canada etc.) and there are a good amount of development postings within those... As far as GSPIA goes, I don't have enough knowledge beyond anecdotes to make a fair recommendation. However, I have heard from some students there whom I've met at social events that their coop program is not as robust as ours; I take that with a grain of salt. ...I would say that it’s tied between coop and the alumni network over what makes NPSIA a great option

The person I talked with at GSPIA (also in his second year - an acquaintance from high school) said that coop is good but not everyone is guaranteed a coop placement:

Coop is determined on the basis of entry marks. The top half of the program gets a coop opportunity and these students have access to a very good array of job in all sectors. you are assured a placement but must interview for the specific ones as some are more highly sought after than others. For those not in the top half of the program there are always plenty of other was to get a shop through prof connections, FSWEP etc.

...maybe these 2 people are exceptions to the rule, but their comments don't make it sound like GSPIA coop is better than NPSIA.

I have also applied to Carleton's MPPA, but I think it comes after NPSIA/GSPIA in terms of my preference.

Hey guys! 

I am so glad I found this forum, as I have been keeping up with past forums regarding this topic. So let's just say you all gave me a heart attack - I am also applying to NPSIA, GSPIA, MUNK, Waterloo (Masters in Development Practice), and SIDGS (also ottawa). 

I have applied for SHHRC and OGS in most of these schools, which by the way is a very time consuming process but hopefully it will pay off! 

I've submitted the online portion of my applications but I haven't started my letter of intent yet because school and work have really been stressful, however I'm not too worried but based on what i have read on here, most of you guys have already submitted your application! 

Do you guys know what the committees looks for during the selection process? Specifically for NPSIA, MUNK, and GSPIA?

I look forward to your responses! 

3 hours ago, Norma955 said:

Hey guys! 

I am so glad I found this forum, as I have been keeping up with past forums regarding this topic. So let's just say you all gave me a heart attack - I am also applying to NPSIA, GSPIA, MUNK, Waterloo (Masters in Development Practice), and SIDGS (also ottawa). 

I have applied for SHHRC and OGS in most of these schools, which by the way is a very time consuming process but hopefully it will pay off! 

I've submitted the online portion of my applications but I haven't started my letter of intent yet because school and work have really been stressful, however I'm not too worried but based on what i have read on here, most of you guys have already submitted your application! 

Do you guys know what the committees looks for during the selection process? Specifically for NPSIA, MUNK, and GSPIA?

I look forward to your responses! 

I always thought these processes were pretty holistic - meeting at least the minimum GPA requirements, a solid letter of intent, good references, and perhaps some relevant work/volunteer experiences! I have an 89% CGPA from uOttawa, federal government work experience, I currently work at Global Affairs, probably solid letters of reference and I think a good letter! I'm hoping these will hold up.

13 minutes ago, Norma955 said:

I am hoping they are holistic, but I'm not sure what to expect; do you know what the incoming average is for last years coherent? 

My CGPA is 87%, MGPA is 88%,  I have experience interning with the UN in the Middle East, and I am currently a research assistant for the political science department at my university. I am not sure if they prefer students right out of their undergrad or ones with a bit more experience. Are you also applying to NPSIA and what cluster/field of concentration are you going for? 

I think that's a great average! I know someone who got into GPSIA with a B average. I decided to apply to NPSIA a few days ago because I met a lot of people at Global Affairs who are graduates of that program and loved it! I'm going for global policy, intelligence, and international economic policy! You?

11 minutes ago, justajournalist said:

Guys, I am still working on my statement and I feel reallllly demoralized after several tries.

Any tips on slogging through the mental block?

Change up your environment! I found going to a coffee shop really helped me to buckle down and get a new perspective. 

5 minutes ago, Hopeful2017 said:

Change up your environment! I found going to a coffee shop really helped me to buckle down and get a new perspective. 

Thanks! I'll head out now in search of a change of environment. Constantly reminding myself that a lot of it is about confidence and focus.

52 minutes ago, Hopeful2017 said:

I think that's a great average! I know someone who got into GPSIA with a B average. I decided to apply to NPSIA a few days ago because I met a lot of people at Global Affairs who are graduates of that program and loved it! I'm going for global policy, intelligence, and international economic policy! You?

Yours is a great average too! We still have time until the NPSIA deadline, I believe it's January 31st. I am going for project management and humanitarian aid, development policy, and conflict resolution. I also heard they admit students based on their field option and we might not always get our top because we have a choice of three. Best of luck on your applications! You seem to be ahead since you've already submitted everything. 

26 minutes ago, justajournalist said:

Guys, I am still working on my statement and I feel reallllly demoralized after several tries.

Any tips on slogging through the mental block?

I'm feeling the same way! I think I've spent way too much time working on my resume... I have to sit down and actually write my statement :( And I agree with Hopeful2017! It always helps to study in a different environment.