Got the waitlist email from Munk. Hoping they'll be able to tell me what place I'm so I know what to do with my offers from other schools. Also concerned about the price of going to Munk without any funding if i do get off the waitlist. 

Huge congrats to to everyone who was accepted! And for anyone who is going to decline their offer.... please do so before April 12th ?

2 minutes ago, DefeatistElitist said:

Where are you guys seeing the scholarship money? My offer says it will come in a separate e-mail if I get any. Did you get two e-mails?

It was in a separate pdf attached to the acceptance email

I just wanted to give some perspective on the GSPIA/NPSIA debate. Since I currently work at GAC, I've been getting the perspective from both directors, current and past students at GSPIA and NPSIA.

Here is what I've gathered from them all - the good and the bad:

GSPIA

- They have been admitting too many students into the program and can't provide the unique opportunities they are being praised for to them all now. For example, my friend told me only 20-30 students this year got coops out of 90. 

- They have dropped the ball on some embassy internships for students 

- Students frustrated with the administration 

- French mandatory master's course can be difficult 

- Less recognition from GAC, NPSIA still leads in terms of the director's I've talked to 

- More theoretical? And less options for electives 

- Awesome profs, conferences, round-tables but course load so heavy you hardly have time to attend 

- Econ heavy in the first semester 

NPSIA

- Econ requirement can be annoying 

- More people being admitted to the program as well - but it looks like this is the same at GSPIA 

-Lots of people from NPSIA at GAC - a lot of recognition there 

- Coop opportunities - some say there has been less, but I see so many coop students at GAC from NPSIA, and only a few from GSPIA. 

- NPSIA seems a bit more applied 

Edited by Hopeful2017

2 minutes ago, DefeatistElitist said:

Where are you guys seeing the scholarship money? My offer says it will come in a separate e-mail if I get any. Did you get two e-mails?

I also received this. It reads in a way that indicates the committee will reconvene at a later date to dole out (what remains of?) the MGA scholarship pool.

7 minutes ago, LuiAp said:

I also received this. It reads in a way that indicates the committee will reconvene at a later date to dole out (what remains of?) the MGA scholarship pool.

Mine was attached to the email (4 attachments in all). 

Also, the OGS application date for MGA is May 1, 2017, which could provide some additional funding! And there is an option to apply for a TAship (unlike many schools, it appears these positions are not included in funding packages).

1 minute ago, YYCapplicant said:

Mine was attached to the email (4 attachments in all). 

Also, the OGS application date for MGA is May 1, 2017, which could provide some additional funding! And there is an option to apply for a TAship (unlike many schools, it appears these positions are not included in funding packages).

Ah, my acceptance only had three attachments. That explains it.

In any case I e-mailed Elysha back essentially saying I got a very generous offer from NPSIA and, given the tuition and cost of living differences, would be hard pressed to turn it down without receiving a substantial offer from Munk so if they don't pony up there'll be a spot opening you y'all who're waitlisted!

10 minutes ago, pixiedustxo said:

Congrats on being accepted to LSE!! What program did you apply for?

Thank you! And the MSc in Comparative Politics.

2 minutes ago, Nupur11 said:

Waitlisted at MUNK, might have to go to GWU. Till when do you guys have to accept the offer? To all those admitted, congratulations. ?

April 5th is the deadline to confirm acceptance of the offer.

1 hour ago, DefeatistElitist said:

Ah, my acceptance only had three attachments. That explains it.

In any case I e-mailed Elysha back essentially saying I got a very generous offer from NPSIA and, given the tuition and cost of living differences, would be hard pressed to turn it down without receiving a substantial offer from Munk so if they don't pony up there'll be a spot opening you y'all who're waitlisted!

Let us know how it goes! I'm almost definitely turning down my Munk offer because of finances but still keen to know the possibility of getting funding increased. Any idea when we would hear back about TAships if we have to apply for them?

Hey all,

I got the waitlist notification from Munk as well. Damn. 

Well, it looks like I'll be going to NPSIA since they offered me decent money and its still an amazing school. I notice that there is a facebook page going around for future Munk students... Does anybody know of something similar for NPSIA? Or should we start one to discuss things like courses, internships, places to live in Ottawa, etc.??

Congrats to everybody on acceptances so far!

3 minutes ago, unblinkingbleb said:

Hey all,

I got the waitlist notification from Munk as well. Damn. 

Well, it looks like I'll be going to NPSIA since they offered me decent money and its still an amazing school. I notice that there is a facebook page going around for future Munk students... Does anybody know of something similar for NPSIA? Or should we start one to discuss things like courses, internships, places to live in Ottawa, etc.??

Congrats to everybody on acceptances so far!

Facebook group for future NPSIA students: https://www.facebook.com/groups/269164260162911/

Hey everyone!

So I had applied to Munk, GSPIA, NPSIA, UofT's MPP, and Queen's MPA. I got offers from every program, but, after spending the past two days in Ottawa touring campuses, I think I'm going to have to go with NPSIA! Best funding, better co-op opportunities, a fantastic department on a very comfortable campus... I think it's the best fit for everything I'm looking for and think I'll be starting there in the fall!

I'll give it a couple days to sink in before accepting anything, but to anyone on waitlists for the other programs - there's at least one more spot opened up there. :) Looking forward to meeting people at NPSIA! (And I'm not on Facebook, otherwise I'd join the group!)

Congrats on all the new offers while I was gone!

27 minutes ago, YellsHeah said:

Hey everyone!

So I had applied to Munk, GSPIA, NPSIA, UofT's MPP, and Queen's MPA. I got offers from every program, but, after spending the past two days in Ottawa touring campuses, I think I'm going to have to go with NPSIA! Best funding, better co-op opportunities, a fantastic department on a very comfortable campus... I think it's the best fit for everything I'm looking for and think I'll be starting there in the fall!

I'll give it a couple days to sink in before accepting anything, but to anyone on waitlists for the other programs - there's at least one more spot opened up there. :) Looking forward to meeting people at NPSIA! (And I'm not on Facebook, otherwise I'd join the group!)

Congrats on all the new offers while I was gone!

You can't go wrong with NPSIA. The program is renown, and the funding package was really excellent.

Totally agree Kaspara!

2 minutes ago, Hopeful2017 said:

Does the 21 day deadline include weekends? 

Yes. 

Actually, I spoke with Tabbatha in person today (she's so nice! love her :p) and she said specifically it wasn't 21 business days; it's 21 days, period. Also, if anyone else is taking the micro/macro economics course requirements over the summer and are graduating this term, do NOT delay your graduation, otherwise you will not be able to start the program in the fall.

9 minutes ago, YellsHeah said:

Totally agree Kaspara!

Yes. 

Actually, I spoke with Tabbatha in person today (she's so nice! love her :p) and she said specifically it wasn't 21 business days; it's 21 days, period. Also, if anyone else is taking the micro/macro economics course requirements over the summer and are graduating this term, do NOT delay your graduation, otherwise you will not be able to start the program in the fall.

Good to know, thanks :)