1 hour ago, sonsofeasterly said:

Yeah, the grad course in French is enough to make me happy I didn't apply to GSPIA. NPSIA's path to language proficiency is a little more palatable.  

Apparently you are allowed to submit your work in English though due to their bilingual policy, but yes that course would be hell - I can't even imagine navigating through all the readings in french

1 hour ago, Hopeful2017 said:

Apparently you are allowed to submit your work in English though due to their bilingual policy, but yes that course would be hell - I can't even imagine navigating through all the readings in french

Yes, I did hear that the assignments and even exams could be done in English but that is still a headache to figure out. I'm still very much interested in GSPIA but I'm now almost certain that I'll choose NPSIA. But I'll update you guys on my final decision, which I'm gonna make by the end of the week.

On 3/26/2017 at 1:38 PM, theorynerd said:

Could someone post the link to the grad cafe thread discussing GSPIA v. NPSIA? I was leaning toward NPSIA, but my funding there is associated with a TAship while my Ottawa funding is not. Not sure if I'll be able to turn down the prospect of not having to work to pay for school. 

10 hours ago, justapersonwhochangednames said:

Yeah, I got wait listed for GSPIA via uozone - but never got the email saying so explicitly. 

My partner's applications at UOttawa are still "under evaluation". He was told via email to expect a response in April or May. His marks are from a uni outside of Canada, so I think that's a factor.

14 minutes ago, Nupur11 said:

Hello, I got waitlisted at NPSIA. Is waitlisted a way of sugar coating the rejection? 

Try not to think of it as a rejection, although I understand. I am waitlisted at Munk and everyone I talk to about it congratulates me like it's an accomplishment while I just feel rejected. I think it's pretty common to get waitlisted and then offered a position later in the summer.

Did you hear from NPSIA via email? I have still heard nothing and my status still says recommended for assessment.

18 minutes ago, Nupur11 said:

Hello, I got waitlisted at NPSIA. Is waitlisted a way of sugar coating the rejection? 

I can't speak for NPSIA, but I know Munk will offer rolling acceptances through until August to those on the waitlist as spots open up. I'm sure it's the same for NPSIA, so I wouldn't be discouraged, unless you have other offers that you need to respond to soon.

15 minutes ago, Irwi said:

Try not to think of it as a rejection, although I understand. I am waitlisted at Munk and everyone I talk to about it congratulates me like it's an accomplishment while I just feel rejected. I think it's pretty common to get waitlisted and then offered a position later in the summer.

Did you hear from NPSIA via email? I have still heard nothing and my status still says recommended for assessment.

I heard back via email, my status is same as yours on the application portal. 

Thanks you guys, for the encouraging words. 

1 hour ago, RandomName123 said:

Any thoughts on BSIA (+ a CIGI Fellowship) vs. NPSIA? 

I'm kind of in the same boat. 

I'm leaning towards trying to do some more school after - and the faculty at BSIA is a lot stronger than at NPSIA, so the possibility of LORs from well-known people and smaller class sizes is pushing me that way. However, BSIA has pretty terrible name recognition and NPSIA offered me almost $10k more, which BSIA seemed kind of unwilling to match. 

Hello

Just got accepted in GSPIA. No money, nothing, but I am in, so I am happy.

For those of you who got wait listed. It sucks. I should know, it happened to me last year. Hang in there, try again and you will be successful.

As for the NPSIA/GSPIA debate. The school are not in competition in my mind , both in Ottawa so both close to gvt. One leans more towards French the other English. If you get in any or both congrats you are one of the lucky ones.

12 minutes ago, InAtlast said:

Hello

For those of you who got wait listed. It sucks. I should know, it happened to me last year. Hang in there, try again and you will be successful.

As for the NPSIA/GSPIA debate. The school are not in competition in my mind , both in Ottawa so both close to gvt. One leans more towards French the other English. If you get in any or both congrats you are one of the lucky ones.

Congratulations! :) 

1 minute ago, harmanationn said:

Officially declined my NPSIA offer and accepted Munk. Hope I helped out someone on the waitlist! 

Good luck to everyone still waiting. (:

Hey Congrats! If you or anyone wants to join the Facebook group for Fall 2017 Munk students, here is the link:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1222437797853191/

3 hours ago, InAtlast said:

Hello

Hi, congratulations! Are you an international student?

21 hours ago, sonsofeasterly said:

I'm kind of in the same boat. 

I'm leaning towards trying to do some more school after - and the faculty at BSIA is a lot stronger than at NPSIA, so the possibility of LORs from well-known people and smaller class sizes is pushing me that way. However, BSIA has pretty terrible name recognition and NPSIA offered me almost $10k more, which BSIA seemed kind of unwilling to match. 

All excellent points. If you're looking to pursue further education after your MA, BSIA might be the way to go -- to me, it seems like the profs at BSIA are much more focused on critical theory, while the curriculum at NPSIA seems to be geared towards policy practitioners. I could be wrong though. I'm probably going to stick with NPSIA because I feel it provides its students with more opportunities. Keep me posted on your decision!

1 hour ago, RandomName123 said:

All excellent points. If you're looking to pursue further education after your MA, BSIA might be the way to go -- to me, it seems like the profs at BSIA are much more focused on critical theory, while the curriculum at NPSIA seems to be geared towards policy practitioners. I could be wrong though. I'm probably going to stick with NPSIA because I feel it provides its students with more opportunities. Keep me posted on your decision!

Yeah, the critical theory stuff there I don't love - but oh well. I think it'll come down to where (if anywhere) I get a SSHRC offer.  

You too! 

7 hours ago, sonsofeasterly said:

Yeah, the critical theory stuff there I don't love - but oh well. I think it'll come down to where (if anywhere) I get a SSHRC offer.  

You too! 

Did you apply to OGS as well as SSHRC? I feel like SSHRC is more prestigious, but the money is actually almost the same if I'm not mistaken ($15000 as long as you have 3 full-time terms of study vs $17500, right?).

Also, I think that SSHRC is portable (so if you get offered the award it can be used at any of the unis you put on your SSHRC application - I think any Canadian university basically). So wouldn't have to sway your choice to one school or another.