Jump to content

Recommended Posts

33 minutes ago, thebigcheese said:

Ahh, I also got funding from UBC!!! 12k for the first year, with a potential 8k in the second year :D

That's so great, congrats!! When did you receive the email? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, TofinoGal said:

That's so great, congrats!! When did you receive the email? 

Thank you! :) I received the email earlier tonight (~6:30 PST).

Did you hear anything?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Hopeful2017 said:

Which specializations did people pick? 

Intelligence and International Affairs for me, though the email didn't specify which of the top three I've been placed in :c

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, thebigcheese said:

Thank you! :) I received the email earlier tonight (~6:30 PST).

Did you hear anything?

 

Not yet! Fingers crossed for tomorrow!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Has anyone seen the status of their Munk application change? Mine still says "under review", but they finally updated my application to show that they did, in fact, receive my second reference letter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, TofinoGal said:

Has anyone seen the status of their Munk application change? Mine still says "under review", but they finally updated my application to show that they did, in fact, receive my second reference letter.

Mine says "under review" as well...hoping tomorrow will be the big day! Good luck :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got accepted to NPSIA

"Please note that your offer of admission is not official until you receive the official offer from the Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Affairs."

I am assuming the FGPA never rejects the recommendation right? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, mchutchi said:

Got accepted to NPSIA

"Please note that your offer of admission is not official until you receive the official offer from the Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Affairs."

I am assuming the FGPA never rejects the recommendation right? 

I highly doubt it. A prof from Carleton's MPPA said that in 2 years they've had 100% approval from the Faculty of Grad & Postdoc Affairs. I'd imagine this is similar across most programs and is generally just a formality. Looking forward to seeing the details of the NPSIA offer in the next 1-2 weeks! Any updates from GSPIA on when we should be expecting news?

Also, does anyone know whether there are big differences between the co-op opportunities available to GSPIA vs. NPSIA vs. Carleton MPPA students? I've heard for GSPIA and NPSIA it's a lot of placements with the Feds and that GSPIA students pick out of the same pool as undergrad students (so perhaps a lot of the jobs are lower level?). I don't know anyone at the MPPA so would be really interested to hear the inside scoop on co-op there (e.g. are they picking out of the same pool as NPSIA students? are there a lot of MPPA students at GAC? etc. etc.).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JV-K said:

I highly doubt it. A prof from Carleton's MPPA said that in 2 years they've had 100% approval from the Faculty of Grad & Postdoc Affairs. I'd imagine this is similar across most programs and is generally just a formality. Looking forward to seeing the details of the NPSIA offer in the next 1-2 weeks! Any updates from GSPIA on when we should be expecting news?

Also, does anyone know whether there are big differences between the co-op opportunities available to GSPIA vs. NPSIA vs. Carleton MPPA students? I've heard for GSPIA and NPSIA it's a lot of placements with the Feds and that GSPIA students pick out of the same pool as undergrad students (so perhaps a lot of the jobs are lower level?). I don't know anyone at the MPPA so would be really interested to hear the inside scoop on co-op there (e.g. are they picking out of the same pool as NPSIA students? are there a lot of MPPA students at GAC? etc. etc.).

 
 

Hmm I can help provide some insight on the GAC front, as I currently work there. I've met a lot of people at GAC and they have either gone to NPSIA or GSPIA - NPSIA being the highest. In fact, I went to an event a few weeks ago and it was literally all NPSIA grads/coop students. I haven't seen or heard of anyone holding an MPPA there. 

See, my worry with doing an MPPA is that I feel it just screams government, mind you, this is not necessarily a bad thing. However, I am hesitant on picking a degree with a somewhat narrorw-ish focus. For me, international affairs opens up more doors, and its a bit more specialized. You can work for international consulting firms, the federal government ( not limited to GAC btw), international organizations, international think tanks, private sector jobs, etc. 

I haven't heard much about the MPPA coop program. I had questions about NPSIA's but after working at GAC and meeting so many coop students there... it seems like a lot of people are getting solid coops. 

HERE IS A TRICK: Go on LinkedIn and creep the program you're interested in. A bunch of people who are currently studying/have studied at that program will show up and go creep on their work experiences. 

Edited by Hopeful2017

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have my fingers crossed for Munk today! Good luck everyone! Also, its fantastic that we are finally getting soo much good news! Only took us 36 or so pages first :P 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, justapersonwhochangednames said:

Daily reminder to those without their dream school acceptances so far, that everything will turn out fine :) 

Thanks, I needed this. It sucks that I am an international student with no Canadian acceptances yet. :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Nupur11 said:

Thanks, I needed this. It sucks that I am an international student with no Canadian acceptances yet. :(

Don't worry. I came here as an international student and I was looking at my undergrad acceptances from years ago and U of T only emailed me in April all the way back then, and then I got my study permit and passport literally two days before my flight here! So while I spent a lot of time panicking, eventually things turned out for the best. Plus I think you mentioned you have another acceptance?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, justapersonwhochangednames said:

Don't worry. I came here as an international student and I was looking at my undergrad acceptances from years ago and U of T only emailed me in April all the way back then, and then I got my study permit and passport literally two days before my flight here! So while I spent a lot of time panicking, eventually things turned out for the best. Plus I think you mentioned you have another acceptance?

Yeah I do, from George Washington University- MPP program. And I couple of others. But I want to go to come to Canada. *fingers crossed*

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Nupur11 said:

Yeah I do, from George Washington University- MPP program. And I couple of others. But I want to go to come to Canada. *fingers crossed*

That's great then, having those other acceptances is excellent! I hope you get into a Canadian school too

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Has anyone else been accepted to NPSIA today? Are all first round offers out? I emailed Tabitha and called the office but haven't gotten a response/voicemail. I also applied to the JD/MA so I'm hoping that may be a factor? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, newgirl31 said:

Has anyone else been accepted to NPSIA today? Are all first round offers out? I emailed Tabitha and called the office but haven't gotten a response/voicemail. I also applied to the JD/MA so I'm hoping that may be a factor? 

Probably a factor, yes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No one from GSPIA has been answering my emails either. And no update.. it almost feels like they will never get back to me haha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got response to GSPIA about that weird thing on my requirements page and this is what it said: 

 

This means that a final decision has been made, you will be given further details by e-mail shortly.

Pretty vague. Hoping it means an acceptance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Hopeful2017 said:

No one from GSPIA has been answering my emails either. And no update.. it almost feels like they will never get back to me haha

I think at this point, they're probably overwhelmed with paperwork and the emails just kinda pile on...I'm sort of just letting it be, because I know my documents are definitely in etc, and I know they're processing the ones from early Feb

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.