Jump to content

Recommended Posts

8 minutes ago, SweetPotato1996 said:

Cool! I am so confused as to what to do with my life now.... I am considering all kinds of options. But I guess there's no rush (especially since this year I am finishing a four year BA after only 3 years). 

Omg take it easssssy :D you'll be fine. Don't stress out about not knowing what to do. That's normal. Take your time figuring it out, read about the fields you might be interested in, etc. Life has a way of working out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, justapersonwhochangednames said:

Omg take it easssssy :D you'll be fine. Don't stress out about not knowing what to do. That's normal. Take your time figuring it out, read about the fields you might be interested in, etc. Life has a way of working out. 

Thanks! This year has been incredibly stressful for me as I am finishing my undergraduate studies. I am open to all sorts of possibilities...main thing is I want to stop relying on my parents and become independent. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/24/2017 at 7:41 PM, Hopeful2017 said:

Anyone registered for econ summer courses? 

I might register with Athabasca uni. I'm thinking of registering with my university as a non-degree course, but I still need to talk to the department. How about you? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, pixiedustxo said:

I might register with Athabasca uni. I'm thinking of registering with my university as a non-degree course, but I still need to talk to the department. How about you? 

I might just do the online micro/macro course at Carleton! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Athabasca looks interesting though - is it completely online? It looks like for the macro course you need to do the exam in person! But everything else is online? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Hopeful2017 said:

Athabasca looks interesting though - is it completely online? It looks like for the macro course you need to do the exam in person! But everything else is online? 

I recently finished a course from Athabasca. Everything is online, except for a final invigilated exam. Courses are expensive though - including the final exam, I paid over $1000. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SweetPotato1996 said:

I recently finished a course from Athabasca. Everything is online, except for a final invigilated exam. Courses are expensive though - including the final exam, I paid over $1000. 

 

You paid 1000 just to write an exam wtf?!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Hopeful2017 said:

You paid 1000 just to write an exam wtf?!

Oh no! That's not what I meant, I don't remember how much the exam cost, but the entire course (including writing the exam) cost at least $1000. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, SweetPotato1996 said:

Oh no! That's not what I meant, I don't remember how much the exam cost, but the entire course (including writing the exam) cost at least $1000. 

That's still insane for an online course.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SweetPotato1996 said:

Oh no! That's not what I meant, I don't remember how much the exam cost, but the entire course (including writing the exam) cost at least $1000. 

 

Yeah, each course is like $911 - that's steep. 

Edited by Hopeful2017

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Could someone post the link to the grad cafe thread discussing GSPIA v. NPSIA? I was leaning toward NPSIA, but my funding there is associated with a TAship while my Ottawa funding is not. Not sure if I'll be able to turn down the prospect of not having to work to pay for school. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, DefeatistElitist said:

That's still insane for an online course.

Yeah, especially since I learnt absolutely nothing from the course. Oh well, at least I got the credit. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Hopeful2017 said:

Yeah, each course is like $911 - that's steep. 

And you are marked by tutors, not all of which will be good. My tutor was fine, but I've heard lots of complaints from other students about bad tutors. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Hopeful2017 said:

I might just do the online micro/macro course at Carleton! 

Do you have a link for more info on the micro/macro courses at Carleton? It's online right?
If you take the course, would the grade be transferred to your overall GPA? Or do they just care about what mark you get in the course?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, pixiedustxo said:

Do you have a link for more info on the micro/macro courses at Carleton? It's online right?
If you take the course, would the grade be transferred to your overall GPA? Or do they just care about what mark you get in the course?

 

Go to the public class schedule! And no it is not counted towards your GPA - they just want a minimum B- in the course. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey everyone,

So I'm still deciding between GSPIA and NPSIA - I think they're both great. I was wondering for your opinion. 

I really like the professors at uOttawa - my interests lie in education policy, and social policy more generally. GSPIA seems to have more professors that specialize in that area. For example, they have an Education Policy Research Initiative, that does lots interesting research in what I'm quite passionate about. If I were to choose GSPIA, I would likely do my research paper in that area and with those professors. I also like how it is public AND international affairs - so domestic and international policy making. 

My only hesitations are that the co-op opportunities seem less abundant, the mandatory French course, the somewhat daunting MRP, and its perhaps more theoretical approach? I also did my undergrad there, so I think I would be bored of the campus. 

For NPSIA, I really love its reputation, practicality, co-op opportunities and their course work option. Also, I went to the campus and it seems awesome there! I've heard good things about their faculty, but from what I've seen from the website, their backgrounds don't necessarily match my interests ( they seem more focused on conflict and security). 

I've gotten full funding from both - GSPIA 24K, NPSIA 19K. 

Can anyone give any insight? 

I have one week left to decide and I'm extremely torn. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Hopeful2017 said:

Can anyone give any insight?  

Some brief thoughts: 

1) It sounds like the professors who are doing exactly what you're interested in are at GSPIA, and to find a school where academics are really closely aligned with your own interests is often a struggle, so you're pretty lucky! 

2) The MRP probably isn't as daunting as you think it will be. For GSPIA's MRP, you don't need to cultivate primary sources or original data, and you can probably turn one of your seminar papers into the bones of the MRP, which will make the overall process pretty manageable. 

3) As far as reputation, here's my take: within Canada, employers looking specifically for grads with the type of coursework that both NPSIA and GSPIA offer - they're likely to view both schools as approximately equal. For employers just looking for a 'generic' MA grad, they'll likely view Carleton and UOttawa as approximately equivalent schools. Outside Canada, neither school has much name recognition (I'm working at a think-tank in DC right now that does defense/security stuff and my boss had no idea what NPSIA was when I mentioned it to him, despite the school's security-oriented faculty), so its really more what you can show employers you've done. Here, the differential access to co-op placements may matter more, but I got my current job because I wrote a really good paper that I submitted alongside my application - which brings me back to the importance of going to a school where the profs are doing work you're interested in.

Plus GSPIA is giving you (a bit) more money, which never hurts. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, sonsofeasterly said:

Some brief thoughts: 

1) It sounds like the professors who are doing exactly what you're interested in are at GSPIA, and to find a school where academics are really closely aligned with your own interests is often a struggle, so you're pretty lucky! 

2) The MRP probably isn't as daunting as you think it will be. For GSPIA's MRP, you don't need to cultivate primary sources or original data, and you can probably turn one of your seminar papers into the bones of the MRP, which will make the overall process pretty manageable. 

3) As far as reputation, here's my take: within Canada, employers looking specifically for grads with the type of coursework that both NPSIA and GSPIA offer - they're likely to view both schools as approximately equal. For employers just looking for a 'generic' MA grad, they'll likely view Carleton and UOttawa as approximately equivalent schools. Outside Canada, neither school has much name recognition (I'm working at a think-tank in DC right now that does defense/security stuff and my boss had no idea what NPSIA was when I mentioned it to him, despite the school's security-oriented faculty), so its really more what you can show employers you've done. Here, the differential access to co-op placements may matter more, but I got my current job because I wrote a really good paper that I submitted alongside my application - which brings me back to the importance of going to a school where the profs are doing work you're interested in.

Plus GSPIA is giving you (a bit) more money, which never hurts. 

 

Thank you!!!!!!! I appreciate the response, you made lots of good points :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi everyone, I applied to NPSIA, GSPIA and MPPA. I have not received a response yet. My profile on GSPIA is under evaluation. NPSIA AND MPPA is recommended for assessment. Do you guys have any idea when I would hear back from the universities? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Rmz said:

Hi everyone, I applied to NPSIA, GSPIA and MPPA. I have not received a response yet. My profile on GSPIA is under evaluation. NPSIA AND MPPA is recommended for assessment. Do you guys have any idea when I would hear back from the universities? 

Same boat. I had emailed API they said,  you will hear back from GSPIA anytime from first week to mid April, as for NPSIA my application is "recommended for assesment ", I think maybe another 2 weeks because there is another stage "Something by faculty..." until a decision is made. 

 

Edited by Nupur11

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, sonsofeasterly said:

Some brief thoughts: 

1) It sounds like the professors who are doing exactly what you're interested in are at GSPIA, and to find a school where academics are really closely aligned with your own interests is often a struggle, so you're pretty lucky! 

2) The MRP probably isn't as daunting as you think it will be. For GSPIA's MRP, you don't need to cultivate primary sources or original data, and you can probably turn one of your seminar papers into the bones of the MRP, which will make the overall process pretty manageable. 

3) As far as reputation, here's my take: within Canada, employers looking specifically for grads with the type of coursework that both NPSIA and GSPIA offer - they're likely to view both schools as approximately equal. For employers just looking for a 'generic' MA grad, they'll likely view Carleton and UOttawa as approximately equivalent schools. Outside Canada, neither school has much name recognition (I'm working at a think-tank in DC right now that does defense/security stuff and my boss had no idea what NPSIA was when I mentioned it to him, despite the school's security-oriented faculty), so its really more what you can show employers you've done. Here, the differential access to co-op placements may matter more, but I got my current job because I wrote a really good paper that I submitted alongside my application - which brings me back to the importance of going to a school where the profs are doing work you're interested in.

Plus GSPIA is giving you (a bit) more money, which never hurts. 

I'm in the exact same boat with the GSPIA profs being a big selling point for me and having received more funding from GSPIA. Thanks for that perspective. I've been leaning towards NPSIA for the reasons such as the mandatory grad level French course at GSPIA, name prestige of NPSIA and the coursework option but my gut is telling me to go with GSPIA. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, PoliticalNerd2017 said:

I'm in the exact same boat with the GSPIA profs being a big selling point for me and having received more funding from GSPIA. Thanks for that perspective. I've been leaning towards NPSIA for the reasons such as the mandatory grad level French course at GSPIA

Yeah, the grad course in French is enough to make me happy I didn't apply to GSPIA. NPSIA's path to language proficiency is a little more palatable.  

Edited by sonsofeasterly
Grammar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.