2017 Canadian Application Thread!

Hi!

I thought I would start a thread about Canadian schools since they're slightly different. :)

I'm going to apply this fall and it's my first time applying (only applying to UBC and Alberta). I want to hear what schools you're all applying to and the process.

Thought I would get the conversation start!

• 2 weeks later...

Oh cool! I was planning on applying to east coast schools but I was too lazy and didn't want to take the anatomy and physiology pre-req! 

Does anyone know when applications open for Alberta? I can't seem to find a date on their website.

• 3 weeks later...

Oh wow, the new SLP program looks pretty good, at least how they introduce it. It does seem like they are still waiting for accreditation, but it's still exciting that there are 27 more seats for this cycle.

Would anyone like to chat about what you have been hearing about how competitive the programs are? I was looking at Alberta and they just up'ed their competitive average to 90%...what does that even mean? If you have around 90% that you'll most likely get in? 

Very exciting about the new program at McMaster! It's nice to have another program in the mix. 

Most of the knowledge I have about how competitive the programs are comes from reading discussions on this board from previous years, and wow, its intimidating! From what I've read, it seems a lot of the schools have a sort of cut off sub-GPA. I think it depends on the school, the year, and pool of applicants, but it looks like a lot of people who are accepted have sub-GPAs in the 3.8-4.0 range. This is just based on what I've read. 

If they're saying the competitive average is 90%, that doesn't necessarily mean you'll get in if you have around 90%. It just gives you an indication of the grades you need to have to be competitive against the other applicants - to have a chance of getting in! 

Hi everyone!

It's my first time applying this year, I'm wishing everyone the best! :D

Does anyone know when we can start our applications on ORPAS? I want to start sooner than later so it's not rushed in December when there are exams.

Hey y'all,

I'm also applying for Fall 2017 (UofT, Western, McGill, Dalhousie). Nervous as hell, and not sure if my GPA will be good enough. By the end of this semester I might just hit a cGPA of 3.8, thoughts? 

On 10/11/2016 at 2:24 PM, princesst said:

Hi everyone!

Does anyone know when we can start our applications on ORPAS? I want to start sooner than later so it's not rushed in December when there are exams.

I think the ORPAS applications are already open :)

On October 11, 2016 at 2:24 PM, princesst said:

Hi everyone!

Hi! I think it opens on October 20th. 

Hey everyone!

I am applying to U of T, Western and McMaster. For McMaster the ORPAS application doesn't indicate that a personal statement is required...interesting. I guess acceptance to McMaster is only based off of grades and references??

Just wondering how many volunteer or shadowing hours people have done? So far I only plan on doing the minimum hours (14) in November. What is everyone's thoughts on this? 

@klfstudent I'm applying to Alberta so I was wondering if you could tell me what you think about the program right now! :) If you don't mind sharing your stats, or what you know about what Alberta is looking for too would be great. 

22 hours ago, JessieBear said:

Hey everyone!

I am applying to U of T, Western and McMaster. For McMaster the ORPAS application doesn't indicate that a personal statement is required...interesting. I guess acceptance to McMaster is only based off of grades and references??

Just wondering how many volunteer or shadowing hours people have done? So far I only plan on doing the minimum hours (14) in November. What is everyone's thoughts on this? 

Hey JessieBear, 

I think admission to McMaster is based solely on grades and the MMI interview. Quite different from the other programs!

This is from their site:

"Applicants who are academically eligible will be ranked on the basis of their pre-admission GPA. The top-ranked (approximately 125) applicants will be invited to participate in a minimultiple interview (MMI). Final offers of admission will be based on pre-admission GPA (50%) and MMI score (50%)."

To answer your question about shadowing, I'll have about 70 or so hours (although I'm hoping for more) of SLP specific volunteering/shadowing by the time I apply. 

:) 

On October 23, 2016 at 4:04 PM, MissSLP said:

Hey JessieBear, 

I think admission to McMaster is based solely on grades and the MMI interview. Quite different from the other programs!

This is from their site:

"Applicants who are academically eligible will be ranked on the basis of their pre-admission GPA. The top-ranked (approximately 125) applicants will be invited to participate in a minimultiple interview (MMI). Final offers of admission will be based on pre-admission GPA (50%) and MMI score (50%)."

To answer your question about shadowing, I'll have about 70 or so hours (although I'm hoping for more) of SLP specific volunteering/shadowing by the time I apply. 

:) 

Yeah, JessiBear is correct - McMaster does not take reference letters - solely grades. 

9 hours ago, SpeechWannaB said:

Yeah, JessiBear is correct - McMaster does not take reference letters - solely grades. 

How high are everyones GPAs? I'm interested in seeing how high of a GPA the top 125 applicants for McMaster will have. I have a 3.7 but I'm worried this is not good enough. 

Hi, 

Great idea for a thread, and yes...best of luck to everyone!

I am also applying (to Dalhousie). I also have a 3.7 for my BA, and I have a 4.0 for my MEd but I don't think that counts. Does anyone know any stats for Dal or other schools regarding number of applicants/number of applicants accepted?

Hi everyone!

This will be my third time applying, although to be honest my first two applications were rushed and may have been incomplete. I've got an early start this year, though.

I have since taken two years off of applying to see if the motivation and desire was still there. Turns out that the answer is yes.

By my calculation, my sub-GPA for undergrad is around 3.7, but I now have a MA in linguistics/child language acquisition (that I don't think counts towards the calculation).

I have about 400 or so volunteer hours with infants, children, and adults, as well as research experience at SickKids. 

I will be applying to McGill, UBC, and McMaster. 

I also know a few people who have been through the UBC and UofT programs, so if there are any particular questions about those programs, I can probably relay them for you.

Wishing everyone a great start to the application process!

My sub-average is around 93%. I do have two more courses to go into that calculation, so I think it might lower to 92%. I have no clue what that means on a 4.0 GPA scale since UBC does 4.33 & I have no clue how to convert.

@A_linguist I was wondering if you could talk about the UBC program. I've talked to SLPs and a student that's in the program right now, but I always want to know more (esp. since I'm only applying to Alberta & UBC). Do people still say that is really theoretical over clinical? Is it easy to find a job after coming out of that program?

Also, anyone know what GRE scores are competitive for Alberta? I'm sitting at 160V, 158Q and 5AW. I know that they've talked about GRE scores a couple of years ago on their blog, but that was a couple of years ago. Plus, they're always making the program more competitive...so, let me know if you have heard anything! :)

Edited by mizuro

@mizuro I just looked over the conversation I had with a friend who went through UBC SLP. He said that the program is pretty heavily research focused. He thinks that UofA graduates are better prepared to practice than UBC ones, as the UofA has a clinic on-site (UBC doesn't) and he found the UBC program to be heavily research focused. So to answer your question, yes, it seems like the general consensus is that the UBC program is really theoretical. If you have research experience, it probably won't hurt your application.

No idea about competitive GRE scores. I'll be taking it in early December, so I'll get back to you once I have my results.