2017 Canadian Application Thread!

On 2016-12-05 at 5:22 PM, Mattycat said:

I'm so glad there's a Canadian SLP 2017 Thread! :) 

Hi. I'm in my 4th year at U of T, doing a Human biology and Psychology double major, have a cGPA of 3.6 and a sub GPA of 3.7 (the bio courses killed my GPA :() with about 200 hours of SLP volunteer experience with different populations (school kids, kids with autism, adults with aphasia), but no research experience. All my prerequisites are complete with a grade of 3.7+, but mainly 4.0's. I only made the decision to apply to SLP last year and have been trying the get my personal statements, references, and application together while finishing up with school. I will be applying to U of T, McMaster, Western, and McGill. 

Does it look like I have a chance of getting in to any of the schools? Any feedback would very much appreciated!

Hey babe,

personal experience here:

I have 3.8, over 300+ research hours, 4 conferences I've presented at, 40+ hours SLP volunteer hours, 3 amazing references (including the chair of SLP at U of T), a research project for which I am the supervisor (and attempting to get published in an academic journal with) as well as grants under my belt, additional courses including certifications in things like ABA.

I have applied twice (to McGill, U of T, University of Alberta, McGill, McMaster, Western etc.) and got rejected both years. This will be my third year.

I'm not saying it to sound harsh or mean, but just be prepared for the worst - because it will probably be the case. SLP is one of the most competitive programs in Canada for a Master's. Just be prepared with perhaps some other options in case it falls through :)

5 hours ago, razzerpears said:

Hey babe,

I have 3.8, over 300+ research hours, 4 conferences I've presented at, 40+ hours SLP volunteer hours, 3 amazing references (including the chair of SLP at U of T), a research project for which I am the supervisor (and attempting to get published in an academic journal with) as well as grants under my belt, additional courses including certifications in things like ABA.

I have applied twice (to McGill, U of T, University of Alberta, McGill, McMaster, Western etc.) and got rejected both years. This will be my third year.

I'm not saying it to sound harsh or mean, but just be prepared for the worst - because it will probably be the case. SLP is one of the most competitive programs in Canada for a Master's. Just be prepared with perhaps some other options in case it falls through :)

Hey razzerpears,

Thanks for the feedback, I really appreciate it. LOL you're not being harsh, just true! I figured I'd take a shot this year and apply, but I'll probably volunteer for research with one of my profs next year and take some courses to get my GPA up. Having applied twice, have you ever received any feedback as to why you didn't get in? Your stats sound impressive. 

11 hours ago, razzerpears said:

Hey babe,

This is a good dose of reality and some good advice.

I'm also curious as to whether or not you received any feedback about your application. Or just if you have any idea why you didn't get in. It sounds like you have an amazing application! 

15 hours ago, MissSLP said:

I'm also curious as to whether or not you received any feedback about your application. Or just if you have any idea why you didn't get in. It sounds like you have an amazing application! 

I agree! Razzer you are like the creme de la creme. How can you not get in?!?! ?

To whom it may concern: :-P

US kid who wanted to move to CA before it was a political joke.  Biotech undergrad.  Graduated in 2014.  
GPA is 3.42 which I thought was great until I saw your GPAs!  GRE is 162 Quantitative and 167 Verbal.  I've been working in labs for 6 years.  3 coauthor publications, tons of posters and conferences.  Great at writing but Idk if that will be different than anyone else applying here.  Last 2 years were in a renowned leukemia lab at Cleveland Clinic, but not working there now.  Will soon be second/third author on huge papers from this one, but not in time for McGill :( 

I'm applying to McGill for MPH.  Later on to Ottawa and UdM.  Lots of questions.  Mainly amount to whether this is all hopeless and I should just give up on moving to Canada forever.

On 12/12/2016 at 5:30 PM, Mattycat said:

Hey razzerpears,

Thanks for the feedback, I really appreciate it. LOL you're not being harsh, just true! I figured I'd take a shot this year and apply, but I'll probably volunteer for research with one of my profs next year and take some courses to get my GPA up. Having applied twice, have you ever received any feedback as to why you didn't get in? Your stats sound impressive. 

On 12/12/2016 at 10:38 PM, MissSLP said:

we dont get feedback on why we got rejected. they say its too much work to tell each student why. 

On December 15, 2016 at 4:17 PM, OverCaffeinated said:

we dont get feedback on why we got rejected. they say its too much work to tell each student why. 

I emailed U of A and UBC over the summer and got responses as to what I could do to improve my application.

UBC said my references weren't strong, U of A said to improve GPA. 

Hi everyone!

I am so glad I found this! I am so nervous I wish we could just fast forward to April 1! I have a subGPA of 3.89 and around 140 hours volunteering with both children and adults. I've applied to Western, McMaster, and McGill. Does anyone have any idea what my chances are of getting in? None of the schools will share the previous year's GPAs so any input would be greatly appreciated :)

Hello again everyone,

I'm just doing my ORPAS application now because school was so busy. What do they mean by "site population" in UofT's personal submissions in the volunteer experience section? I wish they'd make these a little more clear..

3 hours ago, Bananis said:

Hello again everyone,

I'm just doing my ORPAS application now because school was so busy. What do they mean by "site population" in UofT's personal submissions in the volunteer experience section? I wish they'd make these a little more clear..

Clinical population. Adults or kids? People with ASD, motor disorders, aphasia, etc., or a variety?

17 minutes ago, slp_pau said:

Hi! Are someone's letters of recommendation and transcripts delaying to appear as received on the ORPAS system? Thanks!

Mine seem to be updating correctly. After my profs/SLP emailed me saying they completed my LOR, i logged in and saw them as "Yes" under received. How long ago were they submitted? Do you know?

As for transcript, I'm still waiting on some final marks. Not sure when my school will send it but for now it's not received yet.

1 minute ago, princesst said:

Mine seem to be updating correctly. After my profs/SLP emailed me saying they completed my LOR, i logged in and saw them as "Yes" under received. How long ago were they submitted? Do you know?

As for transcript, I'm still waiting on some final marks. Not sure when my school will send it but for now it's not received yet.

Yes, both were sent more than 3 weeks ago. And the transcript like one week ago. I guess I should contact ORPAS. 

My referee just advised me that she cannot locate the e-mail ORPAS sent her regarding my reference package. 

I have confirmed the e-mail is correct so I'm thinking perhaps it got deleted out of her inbox. 

Does anyone know how to re-send the package or if this is something ORPAS will do? I am just nervous would the deadline fast approaching. 

Thanks!

On December 27, 2016 at 9:49 AM, SpeechWannaB said:

My referee just advised me that she cannot locate the e-mail ORPAS sent her regarding my reference package. 

I have confirmed the e-mail is correct so I'm thinking perhaps it got deleted out of her inbox. 

Does anyone know how to re-send the package or if this is something ORPAS will do? I am just nervous would the deadline fast approaching. 

Thanks!

Hey! The emails arrived in my referees' junk inbox, so maybe your referee should check there. If this doesn't work, I think you should call ORPAS. Good luck!

My referee just contacted me and said that his link to submit the reference letter is no longer available. Does anyone know if there is a time limit to submit it? I sent it to him ages ago so he would have plenty of time, but I thought it just had to be in before the deadline? Anyone else have this problem? I'm going to contact ORPAS but of course they're on holidays until tomorrow and I'm sure there will be a huge amount of calls..

3 hours ago, Bananis said:

My referee just contacted me and said that his link to submit the reference letter is no longer available. Does anyone know if there is a time limit to submit it? I sent it to him ages ago so he would have plenty of time, but I thought it just had to be in before the deadline? Anyone else have this problem? I'm going to contact ORPAS but of course they're on holidays until tomorrow and I'm sure there will be a huge amount of calls..

I called way back and asked if there was a time limit and I was told that there wasn't....

I'm trying to call ORPAS but can't get through but my questions are pretty simple, maybe someone can answer them...

1. When I'm entering my grades for the prerequisites, do I have to enter percentages or letter grades?

2. For the prerequisites, it asks for course websites but a lot of my courses don't have websites, it was on our school's system that the admissions people wouldn't be able to access. All I can find is the course descriptions from my school's website, should I just put that or can I say n/a?

3. ORPAS will automatically request my transcripts, right? Does anyone know how this works if you have transcripts from 2 different schools? Because I transferred universities, but both are in Ontario, so ORPAS would be requesting them for me, right?

Thanks!

Edited by Grenache

37 minutes ago, Grenache said:

I'm trying to call ORPAS but can't get through but my questions are pretty simple, maybe someone can answer them...

1. When I'm entering my grades for the prerequisites, do I have to enter percentages or letter grades?

2. For the prerequisites, it asks for course websites but a lot of my courses don't have websites, it was on our school's system that the admissions people wouldn't be able to access. All I can find is the course descriptions from my school's website, should I just put that or can I say n/a?

3. ORPAS will automatically request my transcripts, right? Does anyone know how this works if you have transcripts from 2 different schools? Because I transferred universities, but both are in Ontario, so ORPAS would be requesting them for me, right?

Thanks!

I'm trying to call ORPAS too to ask about your second question. I just get a busy signal since this morning. I provided the links in our school's catalogue, but I don't think they will be able to access them because we can only see them while logged in. Also, after entering the links, I try to copy and paste them into my browser to see if it works (signed out of my university account) and it doesn't work. I noticed it puts spaces in the link so I had to go back and delete all the spaces that appeared, but even then it didn't work.

20 hours ago, Bananis said:

I'm trying to call ORPAS too to ask about your second question. I just get a busy signal since this morning. I provided the links in our school's catalogue, but I don't think they will be able to access them because we can only see them while logged in. Also, after entering the links, I try to copy and paste them into my browser to see if it works (signed out of my university account) and it doesn't work. I noticed it puts spaces in the link so I had to go back and delete all the spaces that appeared, but even then it didn't work.

Thanks, I will try calling today again as well.

On 1/3/2017 at 3:03 PM, Bananis said:

They got back to me by email and they just said "Yes that's fine" so I'm hoping maybe it's just not that important? I'm just going to put the course descriptions from my school's website.

Is anyone applying to US schools? It's hard to even begin to know which ones to apply to because of how many there are! I have a linguistics degree and all the prereqs for the Canadian schools but since I don't have a Communication Sciences undergrad degree, it seems like I would have to do a post-bacc at any school in the States. I haven't really started looking into it, so I don't know about how expensive it would be to do a masters there either. Any advice is appreciated! 

Am I okay to submit my entire application if ORPAS has not received my transcript from my uni yet? Still waiting for a final mark from last semester and my uni is responsible for sending it to ORPAS anyways right?