2017 Canadian Application Thread!

3 hours ago, slp_pau said:

Hi guys!! Has anyone received an email from Western or heard anything yet? 

I was going to ask about this!

Does anyone have any idea whether or not we'll receive an email from Western (or U of T for that matter) acknowledging our application? I received one from McMaster, but that's it. It'd be nice to have some confirmation from the universities that they have received our applications.

1 hour ago, MissSLP said:

I was going to ask about this!

Does anyone have any idea whether or not we'll receive an email from Western (or U of T for that matter) acknowledging our application? I received one from McMaster, but that's it. It'd be nice to have some confirmation from the universities that they have received our applications.

I read the thread from last year and Western sent emails on February 16th. Maybe we'll get them soon!

11 hours ago, slp_pau said:

I read the thread from last year and Western sent emails on February 16th. Maybe we'll get them soon!

I hope so! I was thinking that maybe because ORPAS still doesn't have our GPA calculations thats why they haven't sent out confirmation emails yet? Just a thought! 

23 hours ago, A_linguist said:

That's great news. Thanks for contacting McMaster.

I guess for those who applied to McMaster, we find out later on this week if we get invited to interviews. I'm wondering if anyone who lives in other parts of the country (aside from Ontario) will be making the last minute trek to Hamilton. I live in Alberta but would definitely make the trip. New Leaf flies straight to Hamilton from Edmonton, too, which is awesome.

Also, I am curious about other plans that people might have in the unfortunate event that SLP doesn't work out this time around. Full disclosure: I've applied twice (to no avail), took two years away from the field to question my motivations and try other things (public sector, private sector, academic world, living overseas), but decided to come back for another shot as the other career paths weren't fulfilling. If it doesn't work out for me, I have some other coals in the fire that are in no way related to SLP. Fingers crossed that it works out this time (and for all of you, too :) ).

Since this is my first time applying, I'll probably apply again at least one more time if it doesn't happen. Do you guys think that McMaster will send emails to applicants who don't get interviews as well, or just to successful applicants?

On the McMaster website it says this:

"Applicants must achieve a four-year baccalaureate degree (120 units/credits), will require a minimum average of B or 75% or 3.0/4.0 or 8/12, calculated over the last 60 units of his/her university course work. Applicants may apply in the 4th year of their degree."

7 hours ago, SLPhopeful17 said:

Seeing the GPA conversions on ORPAS just freaked me out lol!

What do you mean seeing the conversions? You mean their chart for converting grades for different schools? I actually found they were pretty lenient but I'm mad that all my high 90s just turn out to be 4.0. So basically my 98 and 96 mean nothing, they're the same as if I had gotten 90. :(

On 2/20/2017 at 1:57 PM, slp_pau said:

I hope so! :) 

On 2/21/2017 at 1:32 AM, SLPinthemaking said:

I hope so! I was thinking that maybe because ORPAS still doesn't have our GPA calculations thats why they haven't sent out confirmation emails yet? Just a thought! 

I was also wondering when we'd hear from ORPAS! In previous years, it sounds like they sent subGPA calculations out in early February. Hopefully we'll hear something soon - this waiting game is the worst!

16 hours ago, Bananis said:

What do you mean seeing the conversions? You mean their chart for converting grades for different schools? I actually found they were pretty lenient but I'm mad that all my high 90s just turn out to be 4.0. So basically my 98 and 96 mean nothing, they're the same as if I had gotten 90. :(

I just meant actually seeing it all on ORPAS made everything feel so real! And I agree! But it also means that courses you got an 85 in are seen the same as an 89 so it evens out :) 

27 minutes ago, SLPhopeful17 said:

GUYS!! I just got an email from McMaster saying I have an interview!! Good luck to everyone waiting!

Good luck !

im waiting for an invitation to an interview at UWO for audiology 

29 minutes ago, SLPhopeful17 said:

GUYS!! I just got an email from McMaster saying I have an interview!! Good luck to everyone waiting!

Congrats! I just got a rejection email from them so everyone who applied should find out their results soon. 

48 minutes ago, SLPhopeful17 said:

Me too! I'm soooo excited but nervous! Best of luck!!

I got an interview with McMaster too! I'm a little nervous about the short notice. I'm in Saskatchewan so I need to book flights and I'm not sure how best to get there... Already freaking out about the MMI process. Has anyone had a MMI before?

Congrats everyone!!

I also got an email inviting me to come for the interview, BUT sadly I won't be able to attend as I'm overseas. Hopefully this will free up a spot for someone :) 

12 hours ago, Bananis said:

I got an interview with McMaster too! I'm a little nervous about the short notice. I'm in Saskatchewan so I need to book flights and I'm not sure how best to get there... Already freaking out about the MMI process. Has anyone had a MMI before?

I am nervous about the MMI process too! All of the practice questions online are so ethics-based, it's hard to think of the right answer on the spot

1 hour ago, SLPhopeful17 said:

I am nervous about the MMI process too! All of the practice questions online are so ethics-based, it's hard to think of the right answer on the spot

I haven't even looked at practice questions haha Mind providing the link for any questions you found useful? I saw some scenarios online when I looked up what MMIs were, and they didn't seem too bad. It was just like "your friend has this problem, what do you do?". I'm working full-time and taking two classes right now so it's just like.. ahhh interview @_@ No time to prepare!

2 hours ago, Bananis said:

I haven't even looked at practice questions haha Mind providing the link for any questions you found useful? I saw some scenarios online when I looked up what MMIs were, and they didn't seem too bad. It was just like "your friend has this problem, what do you do?". I'm working full-time and taking two classes right now so it's just like.. ahhh interview @_@ No time to prepare!

I literally just googled MMI practice questions and tons come up! Most of them seem medical based, like 'this woman has a terminal illness but only wants to use alternative medicine, have a conversation with her' ... I am hoping ours are more speech based :)