HKS 2017

HKS hopeful

9 minutes ago, coffeebean13 said:

I hope we get these decisions soon. I spoke to a friend and recent HKS alum, and he said that we would be hearing back next week. Hope he's wrong. 

No brainers. He is absolutely wrong.

Hi -

Isn't HKS going to call those who are accepted to tell them this? Everyone else who is rejected will learn this from their application system..? I know HKS MPA/ID has done this in the past. Obviously they do not say this on the blog, so that everyone would not expect a phone call...especially MPA/ID is a very small program...Carol can call each student to tell them. 

How many applied to MPA/ID here, where are you from?

Cheers

12 minutes ago, Optimus007 said:

Hi -

Isn't HKS going to call those who are accepted to tell them this? Everyone else who is rejected will learn this from their application system..? I know HKS MPA/ID has done this in the past. Obviously they do not say this on the blog, so that everyone would not expect a phone call...especially MPA/ID is a very small program...Carol can call each student to tell them. 

How many applied to MPA/ID here, where are you from?

Cheers

According to what they tell us in the Admissions blog, we will all get an e-mail saying that our application status has been updated. In the application system there will be a letter with the three possible outcomes: rejected, waitlisted, accepted.
No phone calls.

4 minutes ago, Optimus007 said:

I know what they say to the masses, I am telling you what they actually do. You will get that update in the application system, but if you are accepted you will also get a phone call

Dude. Seriously. I dont even see they have asked for our contact number in the application or I may be missing something.

11 minutes ago, Optimus007 said:

I know what they say to the masses, I am telling you what they actually do. You will get that update in the application system, but if you are accepted you will also get a phone call

That is not true. For starters, HKS has been very transparent about the whole process so I don't see why they would lie about that. Second of all, check this out: http://thegradcafe.com/survey/index.php?q=hks. Here you will notice how, in the past, Master students have found out about decisions (via email telling them to check out the portal). Phone calls are only made to PhD students. 

Edited by ArellaV

3 minutes ago, ArellaV said:

That is not true. For starters, HKS has been very transparent about the whole process so I don't see why they would lie about that. Second of all, check this out: http://thegradcafe.com/survey/index.php?q=hks. Here you will notice how, in the past, Master students have found out about decisions (via email telling them to check out the portal). Phone calls are only made to PhD students. 

Ok you are showing me one student there who checked he was accepted via email...that is not a very big sample. He could have been in Korea 12 hours away from US time zone, so they did not call him...or they did we cannot know for sure. 

3 minutes ago, Optimus007 said:

They did not ask for phone number...? They did man...you dont remember

Whether they did or not doesn't matter because HKS receives applications from around the world. It's not feasible for the Ad Com to call every single candidate across different time zones. For example, it'll be almost 3am when the result comes out, and I'm in Asia.

Ph.D is more likely, given the number of years that students spend attending, as well as interviews undertaken and research to be conducted under auspice of specific professors. 

2 minutes ago, carpe_diem_0618 said:

Whether they did or not doesn't matter because HKS receives applications from around the world. It's not feasible for the Ad Com to call every single candidate across different time zones. For example, it'll be almost 3am when the result comes out, and I'm in Asia.

Ph.D is more likely, given the number of years that students spend attending, as well as interviews undertaken and research to be conducted under auspice of specific professors. 

I was talking about MPA/ID. there are only ~65 students in that program in any year. Students have to write multiple essays and a policy research memo, while the admission committee take 4 months to review these applications (compared to HBS and others who do 10K+ applications in few weeks). My point is, they take pride in really spending lot of time to learn each applicant and by the end of the review, each professor knows each student by name already. It is not hard to call 65 students. For instance, I know for a fact that Wharton Business calls each of 200-300 students they admit. 

Ok you are showing me one student there who checked he was accepted via email...that is not a very big sample. He could have been in Korea 12 hours away from US time zone, so they did not call him...or they did we cannot know for sure. 

No, I am not. Refer to the "Decision and date" column, not just the "notes" one.

2 minutes ago, ArellaV said:

No, I am not. Refer to the "Decision and date" column, not just the "notes" one.

on that list there is one student admitted to MPA/ID program in 2016. There are few more in 2013 and other years. I was talking about experience of my friends who got admitted in 2015 and 2016. 

Regardless, we will know soon enough 

on that list there is one student admitted to MPA/ID program in 2016. There are few more in 2013 and other years. I was talking about experience of my friends who got admitted in 2015 and 2016. 

Regardless, we will know soon enough 

I see, you have outside information. I cannot attest to that, but I guess we will indeed find out soon enough and we could always post it to let future applicants know ;). 

1 minute ago, ArellaV said:

I see, you have outside information. I cannot attest to that, but I guess we will indeed find out soon enough and we could always post it to let future applicants know ;). 

Wherw are you from? What program did you apply for? Do you want to chat?

11 minutes ago, Optimus007 said:

I was talking about MPA/ID. there are only ~65 students in that program in any year. Students have to write multiple essays and a policy research memo, while the admission committee take 4 months to review these applications (compared to HBS and others who do 10K+ applications in few weeks). My point is, they take pride in really spending lot of time to learn each applicant and by the end of the review, each professor knows each student by name already. It is not hard to call 65 students. For instance, I know for a fact that Wharton Business calls each of 200-300 students they admit. 

I won't argue with you on the feasibility of calling. It's just that HKS admissions team looks a lot smaller than that of B-schools, and I've only seen them communicating via email. I read in previous threads that they do ensure to include personalized message in their acceptance letters, though. 

1 minute ago, carpe_diem_0618 said:

I won't argue with you on the feasibility of calling. It's just that HKS admissions team looks a lot smaller than that of B-schools, and I've only seen them communicating via email. I read in previous threads that they do ensure to include personalized message in their acceptance letters, though. 

I mean who knows. I know for a fact they did this one or two prior years...could have been just an experiment, we will see what happens. The fact they call to let people know does not mean you wont get notification in the system or personalised letter also..good luck to all