Fall 2017 Applicants

fbuggey93

1 hour ago, alisham said:

Ugh, this waiting is killing me and I've only been waiting for about a week and a half.  I've applied to UConn, Boston College, Rhode Island College, and University of South Carolina.

I applied to UConn on 1/2 and I am so anxious!!! It doesn't help that according to past forums, it takes them forever to get back to applicants... I'm hoping the earlier deadlines this year will help with that!

25 minutes ago, bquinn said:

I applied to UConn on 1/2 and I am so anxious!!! It doesn't help that according to past forums, it takes them forever to get back to applicants... I'm hoping the earlier deadlines this year will help with that!

Yeah, I honestly think it'll take a while for them to get back.  I know the website said we should know by the beginning of March, but I saw somewhere else that we should know by April.  Something tells me that I'm going to have to put down a deposit for another school, just in case.

1 hour ago, alisham said:

Yeah, I honestly think it'll take a while for them to get back.  I know the website said we should know by the beginning of March, but I saw somewhere else that we should know by April.  Something tells me that I'm going to have to put down a deposit for another school, just in case.

On the website it says that if you apply before January you'll hear by the end of this month. Wondering how closely they'll follow that. Best of luck with your other applications!

Hello, future MSWs! 

Congratulations to everyone who has received their acceptance so far. Many more to come for those of us who are still waiting! I've applied to advanced standing programs at Columbia, NYU, Chapel Hill and Charlotte. I am planning to use my MSW to pursue clinical licensure and have heard great things about NYU's focus on direct practice. I would like to work with victims and survivors of sexual trauma and human trafficking. I have researched a few agencies in New York that specialize in my interest for field placement, so I would be thrilled to attend either Columbia or NYU. Due to some delays, my checklists were finally complete in the beginning of January. I guess this means I will not receive a decision until much later.. Hopefully there is a seat left for me!  

I'm wondering if schools don't send out decisions without you first completing the FAFSA... my app at Simmons has been sitting for WEEKS but I haven't heard a peep out of them. Only submitted my FAFSA today so maybe that's what the holdup is... (also, is anyone else annoyed that they changed how they offer aid?) 

12 minutes ago, academicbirb said:

I'm wondering if schools don't send out decisions without you first completing the FAFSA... my app at Simmons has been sitting for WEEKS but I haven't heard a peep out of them. Only submitted my FAFSA today so maybe that's what the holdup is... (also, is anyone else annoyed that they changed how they offer aid?) 

I don't know, when I was admitted by NYU they reminded me to submit my FAFSA ASAP. I already had, but I don't think they would remind you to if you were supposed to have done so already before they send an admission letter?

How was it changed?

2 minutes ago, adorablepancreas said:

I don't know, when I was admitted by NYU they reminded me to submit my FAFSA ASAP. I already had, but I don't think they would remind you to if you were supposed to have done so already before they send an admission letter?

How was it changed?

Jeeze Louise I am *not* liking my chances for getting in now, haha. This year might be a wash of even my safety schools OTL 

They're basing it off of the previous year's tax returns instead of the upcoming one (so this year they're looking at 2015 for the 2017/18 school year) and since I was still a dependent of my parents the fed probably isn't going to be very generous even though that's no longer the case. 

2 minutes ago, academicbirb said:

Jeeze Louise I am *not* liking my chances for getting in now, haha. This year might be a wash of even my safety schools OTL 

They're basing it off of the previous year's tax returns instead of the upcoming one (so this year they're looking at 2015 for the 2017/18 school year) and since I was still a dependent of my parents the fed probably isn't going to be very generous even though that's no longer the case. 

Ohhh yeah, they are using 2015. I knew that, sorry for forgetting! Do they see that you were considered a dependent then? As a graduate student you're considered independent regardless, no? And you don't have to submit your parents' information? That's what my research told me, and I did not submit my parents' info.

There's still hope! I wouldn't give up, maybe Simmons just takes longer to reply. And it wouldn't hurt to call them and ask! :) I'm sure you'll get in to a great school. 

2 minutes ago, adorablepancreas said:

Ohhh yeah, they are using 2015. I knew that, sorry for forgetting! Do they see that you were considered a dependent then? As a graduate student you're considered independent regardless, no? And you don't have to submit your parents' information? That's what my research told me, and I did not submit my parents' info.

There's still hope! I wouldn't give up, maybe Simmons just takes longer to reply. And it wouldn't hurt to call them and ask! :) I'm sure you'll get in to a great school. 

Nah, it's all good! It said I was an independent student since I no longer live with them, but because I'm also applying to MPH programs (which do want your parents' info) I had to list them. But IIRC they still base aid decisions on your parents' expected financial contribution even if you don't live with them -- one of my friends basically had to get her parents to sign a letter saying they wouldn't give her money for college in order for them to bump up their loan amount to her. As an undergrad I was still offered some loans from the fed, but not enough to cover full tuition + fees, and that's really not the boat I want to be in if I can't work during an MSW, lol. 

2 minutes ago, academicbirb said:

Nah, it's all good! It said I was an independent student since I no longer live with them, but because I'm also applying to MPH programs (which do want your parents' info) I had to list them. But IIRC they still base aid decisions on your parents' expected financial contribution even if you don't live with them -- one of my friends basically had to get her parents to sign a letter saying they wouldn't give her money for college in order for them to bump up their loan amount to her. As an undergrad I was still offered some loans from the fed, but not enough to cover full tuition + fees, and that's really not the boat I want to be in if I can't work during an MSW, lol. 

Hmm...that sucks that MPH programs do want the info! I'm only doing MSW but I think I indicated that my parents would not be paying at all...my dad did offer to loan me some money so I don't owe the government, but I don't remember if I included that.....

1 hour ago, academicbirb said:

My application to Simmons was finished on December 20th, and I got an email on Friday the 13th that they made a decision and mailed it. I haven't received it yet, though.

When was yours submitted exactly? You may want to reach out to them depending on when it was 

7 hours ago, HaleyWantstobeaTherapist said:

My application to Simmons was finished on December 20th, and I got an email on Friday the 13th that they made a decision and mailed it. I haven't received it yet, though.

That is probably one of the most evil/cruel things that the admissions department could do -
Emailing you that they made a decision, and are mailing you the results.
They dropped the mail into the department outbox (probably after the mail pickup for the day) on Friday.
Nothing gets picked up on Saturday ot Sunday
Monday happened to be a Federal holiday - no mail movement
It gets picked up by the school's internal mail on Tuesday afternoon
Delivered to the post office on Wednesday morning
4 more days before it gets to you
oops - it is now Sunday - no mail delivery
fingers crossed for Monday.

On 1/18/2017 at 2:05 PM, alisham said:

Ugh, this waiting is killing me and I've only been waiting for about a week and a half.  I've applied to UConn, Boston College, Rhode Island College, and University of South Carolina.

I applied to Boston College too! They said they don't even start reviewing applications until this month, so we probably won't hear until February at least... The anxiety is really starting to get to me though. I just want to know I'm in somewhere so I can go ahead with my moving plans to the Boston area!

20 minutes ago, Amanda87 said:

I applied to Boston College too! They said they don't even start reviewing applications until this month, so we probably won't hear until February at least... The anxiety is really starting to get to me though. I just want to know I'm in somewhere so I can go ahead with my moving plans to the Boston area!

Boston is so expensive! I've been looking at apartments and it's insane.

19 minutes ago, alisham said:

Hint: Boston has a choo-choo train that connects it with more affordable housing. Living in any major city center is going to be expensive.

12 hours ago, avflinsch said:

That is probably one of the most evil/cruel things that the admissions department could do -
Emailing you that they made a decision, and are mailing you the results.
They dropped the mail into the department outbox (probably after the mail pickup for the day) on Friday.
Nothing gets picked up on Saturday ot Sunday
Monday happened to be a Federal holiday - no mail movement
It gets picked up by the school's internal mail on Tuesday afternoon
Delivered to the post office on Wednesday morning
4 more days before it gets to you
oops - it is now Sunday - no mail delivery
fingers crossed for Monday.

Honestly though. I've been checking like a maniac every day since then even knowing there's virtually no way it'll be there ?

I recieved the email at 1 I the morning, too. So technically on a Saturday morning. Pretty bizarre. 

Hah, spoke to soon!

I still haven't gotten the letter in the mail, but I got an email in the middle of the night last night saying "Confratulations on your acceptance to the Simmons College School of Social work" so that's super exciting!!! :)

still waiting on some info about funding. I hope that'll be included in the mailed letter!!

16 hours ago, alisham said:

It is, but I'm not opposed to having roommates or living along a public transportation route (bus or T) so I can live further out from the city. 

3 hours ago, HaleyWantstobeaTherapist said:

Hah, spoke to soon!

I still haven't gotten the letter in the mail, but I got an email in the middle of the night last night saying "Confratulations on your acceptance to the Simmons College School of Social work" so that's super exciting!!! :)

still waiting on some info about funding. I hope that'll be included in the mailed letter!!

Congratulations! 

Hi guys!

Has anyone heard back from Hunter yet for the fall ? I applied a few months ago, was invited for an interview for Dec. 28. At the end of the interview we were told we'd hear back in two weeks. I called them last Thursday because my application status said "pending interview" still. They said the results would be out the next day. I called again this past wednesday and they told me it would be another 48 hours. I'm nervous as this is my top choice ! I've already been accepted to Fordham and they give you a month to respond. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks ! 

Edited by Superbblake

Anyone else applying to Ohio State? I submitted my application back in Nov 13th but 2 out of 3 letters weren't submitted until just yesterday 1/21. I'm wondering if they review the applications as they come then wait to receive everything to finalize the answer or if they don't even look at it until everything is in. I'm super nervous either way. 

Jumping on the bandwagon for solidarity in this anxious time haha. 

I applied to NYU, Columbia, and Berkeley in the U. S. and social work or similar programs at the  University of Gothenburg and Lund University in Sweden and the University of Geneva. 

I was admitted to NYU last week but am anxiously awaiting the others. It looks like the earliest acceptances from my other schools are usually mid February? So I'm dying haha.