How will you celebrate?

NachoConnoisseur

A co-worker asked me how I'll celebrate "when I receive my first acceptance letter." The superstitious part of me quivered, of course, but the question did make my brain juices gurgle a bit in consideration. Here's what I think will happen:

Step 1: Read the email or letter, stop halfway through to screech and jump up & down.

Step 2: Call my husband and screech some more.

Step 3: Invite friends to join me for dinner and good beer at Dogfish Head that evening.

Step 4: ? Something silly and fun to blow off steam. Moonlight sled-riding, perhaps?

Step 5: Next day, remember to finish reading the letter tongue.gif

A co-worker asked me how I'll celebrate "when I receive my first acceptance letter." The superstitious part of me quivered, of course, but the question did make my brain juices gurgle a bit in consideration. Here's what I think will happen:

Step 1: Read the email or letter, stop halfway through to screech and jump up & down.

Step 2: Call my husband and screech some more.

Step 3: Invite friends to join me for dinner and good beer at Dogfish Head that evening.

Step 4: ? Something silly and fun to blow off steam. Moonlight sled-riding, perhaps?

Step 5: Next day, remember to finish reading the letter tongue.gif

i agree on steps 1 & 5, i will do the same, probably call half my family in between, and then read the letter or email at least 5 times to check if there is a smallprint somewhere that says"if you do not respond this within 5 minutes of reception, you won't be accepted.."

Edited by mario

I am less and less confident of ANY acceptances as the minutes pass, but I guarantee that, if I do get in anywhere, the first, second, third, fourth, and fifth things I will do will ALL be: cry.

same here. i will cry, read the letter 16 times to make sure it's actually addressed to me, call my parents, my boyfriend, my sister, etc. and then probably sit in a stunned haze for a while before celebrating.

asides of smoking a lot and fantasizing my new university...

I think that I will read the letter over a few times to make sure that it is accurate. Hopefully I would not find out by phone call, then I might mistake the news as a hallucination. After submitting myself to the new reality I would start by thanking everyone in my life who helped me get to this point. That really would be a lovely reality.

I think that I will read the letter over a few times to make sure that it is accurate. Hopefully I would not find out by phone call, then I might mistake the news as a hallucination. After submitting myself to the new reality I would start by thanking everyone in my life who helped me get to this point. That really would be a lovely reality.

Same here, I will read the letter about 10 times before I do anything. Then wait an hour that they do not send an "oops, we just mis-sent a few emails, disregard what it says"

Same here, I will read the letter about 10 times before I do anything. Then wait an hour that they do not send an "oops, we just mis-sent a few emails, disregard what it says"

yes, we call all agree that the worst thing possible right now is false acceptance or a misunderstanding of some sort

I am less and less confident of ANY acceptances as the minutes pass, but I guarantee that, if I do get in anywhere, the first, second, third, fourth, and fifth things I will do will ALL be: cry.

Me too.

Hahha I agree with drinking. Is it bad that I might have tears of joy if I get accepted to a PhD program? If i get accepted to a masters program I will be happy, but not as happy if I am accepted to a PhD. Ahh i cant wait to start hearing back. I have now started emailing programs asking if they will still look over my app with 2 letters bc my 3rd has not sent..ah

Hahaha, can I just say how much I LOVE this response? I laughed out loud when I read it because that is exactly what I'm going to do, too. Heck, I've been crying enough already; I might as well cry over something GOOD for once!

Good luck to you, Sparky, and to all others waiting on those fated letters ;-)

Haha, you have all mentioned rereading the letters...if you get a phone call, make sure you listen. I think I missed about half the conversation that happened on the phone immediately after I learned I'd been accepted to my top choice program, just because my brain was screaming OMG OMG...and boy was I sorry later on when I had no memory of that half!

If I get into UCSD, I'll play Phantom Planet's "California" on my iPod as loud as my ears can take it.

If I get into Columbia, I'll play Jay-Z's "Empire State of Mind" on my iPod as loud as my ears can take it.

Then I'll scream it out on facebook.

This of course coming after reading the letter 15 times. :)

Aww :( It takes a not insignificant amount of intelligence and stick-with-it-ness to get through the grad app process. Even if no acceptances arrive, you *do* have what it takes to make your dream happen, if perhaps via a more circuitous route. Best of luck and hang in there!

You are so lucky! Dogfish Head is yummm.

As for me, I didn't even celebrate much. :rolleyes: I just sort of stared at the computer screen and then called everyone important. :D

Even more lucky because Dogfish is literally just across the street from my apartment *drools* The temptation!

And congrats!!! Who knows, maybe that's how I'll end up reacting, too :)

This reminds me..

Last year, a friend of mine, while checking his email during a stats class (one he was desperately trying not to fail, and where everyone thought he was complete idiot), saw that he had gotten into a PHD in physics at his dream school.

In the middle of the class, he stood up, gave his astonished peers a beaming smile while crumpling up the graph he'd been working on, then stuck his tongue out to the teacher and walked out. :)

now that's what i call a victory dance.

Edited by melusine