How will you celebrate?

NachoConnoisseur

This reminds me..

Last year, a friend of mine, while checking his email during a stats class (one he was desperately trying not to fail, and where everyone thought he was complete idiot), saw that he had gotten into a PHD in physics at his dream school.

In the middle of the class, he stood up, gave his astonished peers a beaming smile while crumpling up the graph he'd been working on, then stuck his tongue out to the teacher and walked out. :)

now that's what i call a victory dance.

Haha, wow, I love it.

This reminds me..

Last year, a friend of mine, while checking his email during a stats class (one he was desperately trying not to fail, and where everyone thought he was complete idiot), saw that he had gotten into a PHD in physics at his dream school.

In the middle of the class, he stood up, gave his astonished peers a beaming smile while crumpling up the graph he'd been working on, then stuck his tongue out to the teacher and walked out. :)

now that's what i call a victory dance.

Sweet! But I hope he didn't need that class to graduate!

Walk up to the hottest girl i know and kiss her!

My brain instantly thought, "Oh noes!1!! What if you are on a komodo dragon sanctuary or something!?" But then again, I'm weird that way.

An aside...I'm applying to Harvard and Hopkins too, but for public health (community health focus). I worked in a Big 10 school Dept. of Health Policy & Admin. for several years, so I have many friends who are health policy faculty & researchers. Good luck, hope all goes well for you! :)

I'm actually going to call the school and not only confirm but then ask them why'd they pick me? I can't believe it if I get into a school so I'm eager to know their answer. wink.gif

This reminds me of when I got my undergrad diploma in the mail. It said magna cum laude on it. I was so used to doing poorly (I started as an engineering major and failed out spectacularly, before switching schools and majors) that I called and said, "There appears to be some mistake..." They laughed at me.

My brain instantly thought, "Oh noes!1!! What if you are on a komodo dragon sanctuary or something!?" But then again, I'm weird that way.

An aside...I'm applying to Harvard and Hopkins too, but for public health (community health focus). I worked in a Big 10 school Dept. of Health Policy & Admin. for several years, so I have many friends who are health policy faculty & researchers. Good luck, hope all goes well for you! :)

Nacho! awesome you are also applying. Which program did you apply to at Hopkins? I applied to the health services and policy division. At Harvard I applied to the GSAS health policy program. And still working on the SOP for Michigan. My interests are in information technology and its role in public health. what are you focusing on?

its nice to see others with similar interests!!

Nacho! awesome you are also applying. Which program did you apply to at Hopkins? I applied to the health services and policy division. At Harvard I applied to the GSAS health policy program. And still working on the SOP for Michigan. My interests are in information technology and its role in public health. what are you focusing on?

its nice to see others with similar interests!!

Schools of Public Health at both. At JHU, I'd be next door to you in the Dept. of Health, Behavior & Society :) It's a long shot for me, but worth trying.

I'm interested in CBPR to address health disparities, myself. I have a good friend who teaches a graduate course in healthcare IT, so I know a little about it. Drop me a line (my email is linked in my profile) and we'll talk more shop!

If I get into MIT, I will immediately buy plane tickets to go Boston to meet the faculty and show my fiance the acceptance letter in person. In the meantime, I will run around like a small child and freak out my cats with my dancing and singing.

First, I will scream. Then I will probably cry tears of joy and relief. Then I will call my parents, advisor, and best friend. Then I will scream some more. Then I will inform other important people of the good news. then I will start planning everything. Then I will go out to celebrate....probably with ice cream. At some point I will probably request to be pinched or something to assure myself I am not dreaming.

celebrate? I'll feel a true dualistic state of mind - profound satisfaction in acceptance, yet apprehension at the enormous amount of academic work that has suddenly been thrown on my plate. While dancing a little victory jig, I'll be on the phone with my sister in Boston, asking her to pick up certain textbooks at the Coop so I can get a head start on some work. An acceptance isn't a prize or an award for your past efforts - it's simply an invitation for greater academic challenge/difficulty/struggle/misery/education/contribution to the sum total of human knowledge....

I don't know if I'll celebrate or be filled with an enormous sense of dread. My applications are not widespread and while I think I have a shot, I also recognize that there are people just as qualified as me out there.

If I do get in (fingers crossed), I'll celebrate with my family and then get on to Amazon and order a bunch of books so that I am well prepared come fall! wink.gif

Celebrate?? Will I? I am not sure.. I am sure I will be accepted in few places..but lately I am not looking forward to join a rigorous PhD program..but I have to since I don't have any other options as of now...I will mourn the official guaranteed exit from jovial undergraduate days:)

I have a roadtrip planned with four of my best friends at the end of March. I didn't mean to plan it this way (the purpose of the trip is a concert in San Fran that weekend) but I realized after starting the planning that I was probably going to know most, if not all, of the decisions by that point.

If I got in nowhere: use the trip to start scoping out places to move, since I won't have anywhere else to go!

If I got an acceptance: walk about with a happy glow the whole time. I'll be seeing people I haven't seen in awhile, so I might get to do the half-modest, "Oh, yes, I did hear from the adcoms, turns out they want me at [...]!" (which will doubly suck if I got in nowhere: "oh, yeah, sorry we haven't talked in awhile, I was kind of a hermit for six months while I applied to grad school ... no, didn't get in anywhere, haha!")

...get on to Amazon and order a bunch of books so that I am well prepared come fall! wink.gif

Ha! If I end up in a history program (not likely anymore) instead of religion, I will sooo be joining you.

I got my first acceptance yesterday and I immediately burst into tears. lol. I certainly hadn't planned on doing so, but the tidal wave of relief and joy overwhelmed me. Then I called my mom. Then I did a happy dance for about 15 minutes. Then re-read the email about 10 times. And tonight I'm going to have several celebratory martinis. :D