Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
SG_SC

Writing a sample

Recommended Posts

Hi All, 

After reviewing some of my work, I have decided none of my papers are really what I want to submit with my application. I decided to just write a completely new sample to send in. Has anyone else done this? Or am I just going crazy and getting too stressed about this?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm in the process of doing that so I can let you know how that goes after this admission cycle ;). It depends on how much time you have. Are you planning to apply this fall, or for 2018? What field are you going into? And what are the sample length requirements of the programs you intend to apply for?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, goldenstardust11 said:

I'm in the process of doing that so I can let you know how that goes after this admission cycle ;). It depends on how much time you have. Are you planning to apply this fall, or for 2018? What field are you going into? And what are the sample length requirements of the programs you intend to apply for?

I'm applying for fall of '17 for doctoral programs in theology. Most of the applications are asking for a sample of around 15 pages, nothing excessive. I think I'm questioning whether it is worth it to write something new while still working full time, and being enrolled in a full time MA program. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, SG_SC said:

I'm applying for fall of '17 for doctoral programs in theology. Most of the applications are asking for a sample of around 15 pages, nothing excessive. I think I'm questioning whether it is worth it to write something new while still working full time, and being enrolled in a full time MA program. 

Gotcha (I was on mobile and didn't see your little avatar info on the screen!). Well it sounds ambitious to me, but perhaps doable. I'm applying to philosophy programs and started on my sample a while back (same page count) but have progressed very slowly. For me, getting started can also take forever, so that's why I started on it so long ago. And in my case, my full time job completely drains me, so my work is really all done during the weekend. 

Basically I couldn't do it, but I can fathom that someone who's rather driven and whose process moves quickly could. For example, my boyfriend is also working on his application and while he's been thinking of his project for a while, he's only started writing very recently and he's progressing very quickly on it. So it largely depends on your own process/workflow/spirit! Ymmv :)

Best of luck! 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It probably depends a lot on how you write. I'm in the process of writing a new writing sample for this upcoming application season, but I think I'm at a pretty good place. It was an idea that had been sitting on the back burner for a year or so, and when I realized I didn't have anything I wanted to use as a writing sample, I decided to try to turn my idea into a paper. I worked through the corresponding literature over the summer and busted out a solid draft over the course of a week at the end of August. I'll probably continue tinkering with it and sending it to other people until I submit my applications, but I'm pretty happy with what I have so far. So hopefully it works out!

So if you have a good idea and are familiar with the literature on the topic, I definitely think it's possible, but you better get moving. I think I'd be pretty uneasy if I didn't have a good draft by the end of September, but everyone works differently.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Glasperlenspieler said:

It probably depends a lot on how you write. I'm in the process of writing a new writing sample for this upcoming application season, but I think I'm at a pretty good place. It was an idea that had been sitting on the back burner for a year or so, and when I realized I didn't have anything I wanted to use as a writing sample, I decided to try to turn my idea into a paper. I worked through the corresponding literature over the summer and busted out a solid draft over the course of a week at the end of August. I'll probably continue tinkering with it and sending it to other people until I submit my applications, but I'm pretty happy with what I have so far. So hopefully it works out!

So if you have a good idea and are familiar with the literature on the topic, I definitely think it's possible, but you better get moving. I think I'd be pretty uneasy if I didn't have a good draft by the end of September, but everyone works differently.

Thanks. I tend to work relatively quickly, and the idea is actually one I've been kicking around since undergrad. I'm hoping to have a rough draft finished by the end of next week. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, SG_SC said:

I'm applying for fall of '17 for doctoral programs in theology. Most of the applications are asking for a sample of around 15 pages, nothing excessive. I think I'm questioning whether it is worth it to write something new while still working full time, and being enrolled in a full time MA program. 

Is it possible for you to write something new that could also be used for a course assignment for your MA program? If so, then it might be less of a burden overall if you think about your workload throughout the semester.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/10/2016 at 8:23 PM, SG_SC said:

I'm applying for fall of '17 for doctoral programs in theology. Most of the applications are asking for a sample of around 15 pages, nothing excessive. I think I'm questioning whether it is worth it to write something new while still working full time, and being enrolled in a full time MA program. 

Are most application samples double-spaced?  So is it 15 double-spaced or single?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 24/09/2016 at 7:44 AM, Louie34 said:

Are most application samples double-spaced?  So is it 15 double-spaced or single?

I've got the same question. I still have to write my writing sample (as the majority of work I have written so far is not in English, and the only actual academic paper (to be published) is co-authored), and my school asks for 25-30 pages (!), so that question is highly relevant.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/10/2016 at 7:48 PM, SG_SC said:

Hi All, 

After reviewing some of my work, I have decided none of my papers are really what I want to submit with my application. I decided to just write a completely new sample to send in. Has anyone else done this? Or am I just going crazy and getting too stressed about this?

 

That's what I'm doing as well. The only thing is that I have 1 day to write it. errr...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.