Will they even look....

digits2006

Wow this makes me feel really grateful for having such good relationships with my professors. Going to a LAC I never had more than 20 people in a class and I've spent tons of time with my profs outside of class just hanging out. My advisor is like a 2nd mother and most of the people in the department are close friends. I guess I am lucky. At least there will be one good part of my application haha :)

• 2 weeks later...

Exactly same experience

I emailed my prof many times and she promised to do it for me... but just no action taken...

I feel like my appl would just be ignored

waste of money

and cant find a fourth recommender in such a short time!

@Joro - sounds like you found a back-up!! YAY you can do it!! All you need is a letter so the adcomm can check that box and cover their asses. It's gonna work out!

Don't take it personally about the prof bailing on you. It blows hard, but it's probably not about you. Sounds like they're just a run-of-the-mill shitty person, with the phone tag and straight-to-voicemail BS.

I had one professor who approached me (not, I want to note, the other way around) - she actually invited me into her office out of the blue, and when I sat down thinking we were going to talk about my plans for my final project in her class, she said "Let's get you into grad school!" She offered to write me a rec letter, offered to introduce me to high-up people at a couple schools, indicated that she had a lot of influence at another school ("I was up for the department head position there, ya know!"), and then just completely disappeared when the time came to start backing up all that talk.

I emailed her over and over for weeks, never got a response. I assumed she was a flake and made other arrangements.

Randomly saw her at a gallery opening a couple months ago and she literally ran away from me, yelling over her shoulder, "Email me!"

So Joro, I want to say even if you don't get into the school - you did all you could. You didn't let this lazy douche dictate your future. You manned up and found a replacement letter, which probably involved swallowing your pride and groveling a bit. That takes balls and I commend thee, sir.

Edited by grad_wannabe