Who is the first person you'll tell?

Caligula

If it's good - everyone on my iChat buddy list - haha. I'll definitely call my partner and then my parents first, then let everybody else know.

If it's bad - my partner, my parents, then avoid discussing it until I have to with friends. :(

First person I personally notify will be my boyfriend. Since I'm abroad, my mom will be on the receiving end of most of my phone calls and mail anyway so she'll see it all except my email. I had to warn her not to try and console me when rejections come. I'm sure I'll get some great quotes out of her, she's hilarious.

Husband first, regardless of outcome. After that, it depends on time of day and where I am, but probably a boat-load of emails to all the people who helped me along the way. They've been super-generous and have asked repeatedly to be kept in the loop so they know how this adventure ends.

Hey guys! I'm new here but decided to register after all of you have been so helpful with past postings.

It's going to sound bad, but I'm going to email/call my two professors first who have been instrumental in helping me with the grad school process...then my mom.

I'll probably be at work when I find out. I have tons of time to hang out on the net at work so my order is this:

1) GradCafe results page

2) Email rec writers (after writing 15 recs each they surely deserve to know)

3) Email fav undergrad professor

4) Post on Myspace and Facebook

5) I'll probably see my friends after work so I'll tell them.

6) When I finally get home at the end of the day i'll tell Mom and Dad.

I'll never tell anyone at work until it's two weeks before I leave to actually go. When I do tell them I can't wait! I hate my job and telling them "I'm outta here" is going to be better than any PhD acceptance letter.

*lol* If they've ever been a grad student, they'll probably buy you a latte to celebrate!

I figure it'll be someone who speaks little to no English, won't understand why I'm jumping around excitedly and shouting at them, and they'll either run away or punch me. It'll be awesome.

I almost feel like I should post it on Facebook and Twitter immediately. My poor friends and followers have had to read so many application gripes and updates, it seems only fair they should be the first to hear!

I'm wondering about social network postings, actually - how many of you will post acceptances publicly on Facebook?

I knew a girl who thought it very uncouth to post results on F-book. She was modest and preferred to tell people only if they asked directly, plus she said she felt some animosity from people who didn't get into their schools. But then again, isn't this what social networks are for? Sharing news? There was an article in the NY Times about it, the writer thought it base to post college acceptances:

"Accepted, Rejected or Deferred? Keep the Answer Off Facebook."

I think it's totally okay to post at least where you decide to go, just maybe not a list like, "Look at all my acceptances!"

I'm wondering about social network postings, actually - how many of you will post acceptances publicly on Facebook?

I knew a girl who thought it very uncouth to post results on F-book. She was modest and preferred to tell people only if they asked directly, plus she said she felt some animosity from people who didn't get into their schools. But then again, isn't this what social networks are for? Sharing news? There was an article in the NY Times about it, the writer thought it base to post college acceptances:

I think it's totally okay to post at least where you decide to go, just maybe not a list like, "Look at all my acceptances!"

Who are these arbitrary culture police? I will tell whomever, however! As much as I've been through if I have good news and you don't and you cannot see far enough past the end of your nose to not internalize it then that's YOUR problem, not mine. I'm planning a facebook/lj photo shoot of me in the full school paraphenelia outfit i intend to purchase. :D

As of tomorrow I will be 36, and a lot of my friends are older than that. I don't think anyone else I know is applying this cycle, so it's not exactly like they should be jealous. I'm not 17 and applying for undergrad. And even if I was, I see no reason not to share good news. Like I said, my friends have heard plenty of anxiety and complaining from me lately. I imagine they'll appreciate the change. And lord knows I am sick to death of reading status updates about teething and potty training toddlers! It's time some *real* news got posted, ha ha.

Edited by rogue