Cal State Universities MSW Applicants Thread

BackNSchool83

30 minutes ago, rmeza said:

Just got an email from CSUDH about my acceptance to their program. Still waiting on CSULB and CSULA as they are my number one and two respectfully. CSUDH is my back up but still feels good. Good luck everyone!

when did u you apply? 

Good luck with admissions everyone!

I didn't see anyone post about Humboldt State University. Does anyone know if their MSW program is as reputable as the other california state schools mentioned in this thread?

5 hours ago, rmeza said:

Just got an email from CSUDH about my acceptance to their program. Still waiting on CSULB and CSULA as they are my number one and two respectfully. CSUDH is my back up but still feels good. Good luck everyone!

@rmeza Congratulations on your acceptance to CSUDH!  Do you mind sharing your stats (GPA/ Major)?  Which concentration have you decided on? Are you going full-time or part-time?  

Please keep us updated on other acceptances. Good luck to you in the future. 

thank you, chris. 3.30 gpa on last 60 units. sociology major from csulb. couple of years working with adults with developmental disabilities and about a year of that being kinda like case management. i literally have no idea what i want my concentration to be haha lastly, two year/full time 

Edited by rmeza

5 hours ago, Slim22sworker said:

me too...i apply.same day. wow!! you got an email? i'm checking my email everyday.. thank you.

yeah, got the email right at 12pm yesterday. good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, I've applied to CSUN, CSULB, CSULA and USC. My GPA is not the greatest, being a BIO Major in my early years really screwed me over. 

Major: Liberal Studies

Minor: Biology

GPA: 2.8

Letters of Rec: 4, from advisors, supervisors of a civil rights organization I worked for and my superiors from a medical office I work at now.

I'm a really strong writer so hopefully my personal statement redeems me in some ways. Plus I made the deans list my final year of my undergrad. Hopefully the admissions committee sees all of this before making a decision. I'm nervous but honestly I'm taking it in stride and everything happens for a reason I guess. Good luck to everyone!

Edited by fkk16672

4 hours ago, fkk16672 said:

Hey guys, I've applied to CSUN, CSULB, CSULA and USC. My GPA is not the greatest, being a BIO Major in my early years really screwed me over. 

Major: Liberal Studies

Minor: Biology

GPA: 2.8

Letters of Rec: 4, from advisors, supervisors of a civil rights organization I worked for and my superiors from a medical office I work at now.

I'm a really strong writer so hopefully my personal statement redeems me in some ways. Plus I made the deans list my final year of my undergrad. Hopefully the admissions committee sees all of this before making a decision. I'm nervous but honestly I'm taking it in stride and everything happens for a reason I guess. Good luck to everyone!

CSUN CSULB only need 3 Recommedation So as other CSU. 3 is a maximum they ask for. Anyway Goodluck...i am waiting as well.

csulb emailed me this morning saying i'm in pending status and will get final decision between now and july, a rejection would have been nicer than having to wait longer - _ - 

Hi Everyone--applied to CSUN for 3 of their 4 cohorts.  Applied last year, but didn't make it.  Only applied to one school because location/distance is an issue for me. The app deadline was 1-10, I think.  I turned walked my app in on the 6th.  It's no longer first-come first-serve basis, and all info can now be uploaded online.  I walked mine in because being a prior applicant, I was allowed to use my letters of rec from the previous app year.  

Stats:  

BA in Human Development/ECD concentration

4.0 gpa in final 60

3.8 cumulative

Some volunteer experience in a hospice care fac

30 + years work experience as a Large Family D/C provider

Career changer with 5 grown children, 3 grandchildren

fluent in Spanish

BEST OF LUCK TO ALL OF YOU!  I'll post my progress here in hopes that It'll benefit someone! 

Hi everyone.

I applied to CSU San Marcos January 3rd (Closing was January 6th)

BA in Social Work

I have a 3.5 Cumulative GPA

Major GPA 3.70

I got a letter of recommendation from: a professor who taught some of the Social Work Classes I took, a Special Education Teacher I worked for for 6 months and a Case Manager I worked with at my internship for my senior year.

Because of my Major I've had volunteer work every year that I was in school.

I've volunteered at an Elementary school, Boys and Girls Club, an Elementary school in their Special Education Classroom (I was also a Yard Duty there), and at a Homeless Shelter/Transitional Program for at-risk youth.

Since graduating I've worked with Adults with developmental disabilities, as a Special Education Aide in a K-3 Mod-Severe classroom, an On call Residential Counselor for youth coming out of Juvenile Hall/in Foster Care and can't find placements, and now I currently work full time as a Residential Assistant for a 30 Day rehab/detox for adults struggling with drug addiction/alcohol addiction.

1 hour ago, ChrisMSW109 said:

Hello everyone! I have been accepted to the full-time MSW program at CSUDH; the school notified me by email earlier today.  

I am very grateful and relieved to have received such wonderful news!  

Congratulations!! 

7 hours ago, Maytebravo said:

Hi everyone! I just received an E-mail congratulating me on my admission to the msw 3 yr program at csudh!

Good luck to everyone and if you have questions, don't hesitate to ask me :)

Good evening!!

Congrats!! that is awesome!! Can you tell us when you applied?

I applied to CSUDH for the fulltime 2 year  MSW program....DH is my first choice..,,Hopefully if I am accepted we can carpool!

Thanks!

Edited by ucipsbmajor

congrats on those who got into csudh!

i just got an email from csula saying, if not done, i need to submit my transcripts. i hand delivered official copies to the admissions department and got a receipt from them. 

does the social work department require official or unofficial? i submitted my application packet with unofficial. i would have called but they sent it after 5 yesterday. anyone else get an email like this? 

16 hours ago, ucipsbmajor said:

Good evening!!

Congrats!! that is awesome!! Can you tell us when you applied?

I applied to CSUDH for the fulltime 2 year  MSW program....DH is my first choice..,,Hopefully if I am accepted we can carpool!

Thanks!

Good morning! 

I applied on October 20th... Good luck! I hope you get in :)

On 1/17/2017 at 5:01 PM, weshh said:

Good luck with admissions everyone!

I didn't see anyone post about Humboldt State University. Does anyone know if their MSW program is as reputable as the other california state schools mentioned in this thread?

I got my BSW at Humboldt State and have many friends who are getting their MSW there or have already gotten it there. What kind of questions do you have?

20 hours ago, rmeza said:

congrats on those who got into csudh!

i just got an email from csula saying, if not done, i need to submit my transcripts. i hand delivered official copies to the admissions department and got a receipt from them. 

does the social work department require official or unofficial? i submitted my application packet with unofficial. i would have called but they sent it after 5 yesterday. anyone else get an email like this? 

I'm fairly certain most csu's ask for official transcripts. I applied to CSUSM and they required it.