Cal State Universities MSW Applicants Thread

BackNSchool83

17 hours ago, Maytebravo said:

Does anyone know how much the csudh 3 yr MSW program costs? I know it's more expensive than the 2 yr program

They only have costs for this year posted; however, I heard that they may increase tuition next year.

http://www4.csudh.edu/future-students/more-info/costs/index 

I'm very interested in pursuing a MSW from a CSU but am concerned my undergraduate GPA makes it unlikely I would get in. I earned a 2.3 cumulative GPA from UC Davis (I graduated in 2011). Despite my poor grades I have very strong and relevant work experience and have significant volunteer experience thru CASA and believe I would make a good addition to the programs. 

Is there a way for me to raise my GPA by taking classes despite the fact that I've already graduated? I have also read that people with weaker GPAs sometimes take the GRE as a way to improve their application. 

Thanks!

12 hours ago, Catlover133 said:

I got my BSW at Humboldt State and have many friends who are getting their MSW there or have already gotten it there. What kind of questions do you have?

Well, I'm wondering if there is an assortment of field placement options available in the area? Also wondering if there are sites that could contribute towards accruing LCSW hours post graduation?

I'd  like to know your/their opinion on the quality of the program?

Did you/your friends gain experience in the field working with the native american population? If so, what was their experience like?

Lastly, did you like Humboldt or feel like the rural nature of the area would be too limiting for a social worker?

21 hours ago, Catlover133 said:

I'm fairly certain most csu's ask for official transcripts. I applied to CSUSM and they required it. 

thanks for the reply. yeah i totally understand. but i had already submitted mine in person. i was just wondering if someone else also got a similar email

20 hours ago, MSWprograms said:
I'm very interested in pursuing a MSW from a CSU but am concerned my undergraduate GPA makes it unlikely I would get in. I earned a 2.3 cumulative GPA from UC Davis (I graduated in 2011). Despite my poor grades I have very strong and relevant work experience and have significant volunteer experience thru CASA and believe I would make a good addition to the programs. 

Is there a way for me to raise my GPA by taking classes despite the fact that I've already graduated? I have also read that people with weaker GPAs sometimes take the GRE as a way to improve their application. 

Thanks!

i know csula and csudh accept classes/transcripts post graduation to help raise your gpa, as i took a class over the summer and asked if it could be counted towards my gpa. i graduated 2014

but csulb said they don't accept anything after graduation

On 2/9/2017 at 10:42 PM, BackNSchool83 said:

For those of you who were accepted, congratulations. Could you please share your stats with the rest of us in terms of GPA and experience, or any other pertinent info you think helped you stand out?

Graduated from csuf with a 3.32 GPA. Psychology major. Worked at an organization founded by therapists and psychologists for 6 years as their receptionist. Volunteered for 1.5 years at an after school program for kids ages 5-11 that had behavioral problems and were at risk of getting held back as their mentor. 

Hello,

I turned in my application for the advanced standing program at CSULA on Jan 11th. Today, I received a call to interview with the MSW school of social work.  Did any 1 year applicants also receive a call for an interview? I know their ASP program is relatively new, but does anybody know somebody currently in the program and know the type of questions they asked during the interview?

Thanks! 

Hi All ! 

I applied to CSUB, CSUSB, & CSULB. I'm currently a social work undergrad at SDSU and a Title IV-E recipient. I've been stalking this forum since December and needed to post now because my wait anxiety is taking over me. lol I'm freaking out because I really want to know where I'm going so that I don't have to go to work yet. Applications open for the county in April/ May and if I don't know what program I'm in by that time, I have to go work for the county for a year. So in order for me to go to grad school , I have to get into their program and their title iv-e program to defer my payback for the county. I can't take this wait!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I stalked this website so much I gotta give back...

Applied to: CSUSM, CSULB, CAL STATE LA, CSUDH for the 2yr program.  Mailed applications around the first week of December.

Background: transferred from a JC and graduated from Boise State with a B.S. in psychology.  I have a 3.1 GPA (gave an explanation that I was a student athlete a reformed lazy student in my essays).  I have 3 years experience working at a level 14 treatment facility, and almost 2 years as a mental health case manager for a community clinic (informing people of basic resources). I had some solid letters of recommendations from coworkers but the academic letter was a stretch (resourcefully used a past coach).

I received emails from CSUDH (02/02/17) and CSULB (02/20/17) notifying me of my acceptance.  I haven't heard anything from Cal State LA and only heard back from San Marcos to resolve an error on my transcript.

Goodluck to all of you.  Hope this helps. 

On 1/30/2017 at 10:20 AM, rmeza said:

csulb emailed me this morning saying i'm in pending status and will get final decision between now and july, a rejection would have been nicer than having to wait longer - _ - 

@rmeza good luck, hope you hear good news soon! i also applied for CSULB and am wondering when you submitted your application?

22 hours ago, emily18ma said:

@rmeza good luck, hope you hear good news soon! i also applied for CSULB and am wondering when you submitted your application?

@emily18ma good luck to you too! i applied on november 17 and got wait listed on jan 30th. when did you apply?

...in other news, i got my acceptance letter in the mail from CSULA! 

Hello everyone, congrats to those who received acceptance letters to a grad-program. I received my CSUDH acceptance last week. I applied on Jan. 13th and received my acceptance on February 17th. I am still waiting to hear back from CSULA, CSULB. Last month, I received an email stating that my LB application was sent to the MSW program. This week I received an email stating that the MSW program received my application. Now we just wait... 

I am a Human Services major

GPA: 3.9

I have a ton of retail management experience and l'd say I have little experience in the helping profession.  

@rmeza Congrats on CSULA! I'm still waiting on a response. I'm getting so anxious. I turned in my application in person on November 15th. So you didn't get an e-mail about your acceptance? Thanks a bunch!

@jacky22 thank you! a friend of mine also received an acceptance letter the same day i did. yeah, no emails from csula about anything. wishing you luck on your acceptance! i feel like a decision should be coming soon for you 

Congrats on everyone who's been accepted to a program! I get so excited when good things happen to people.

On the other hand, I feel for those who are still waiting anxiously... like me... hopefully the wait will be over soon. *fingers crossed* 

Lol with each letter of acceptance I hear about it makes me more obsessive about my schools. It makes me wanna call in and say what's taking so long? I'm starting to feel like every school I didn't apply to is letting their applicants know now. ?

@rmeza I still haven't received any notice from CSULA, so I called the office. They said since I submitted my application by the priority deadline, I should be receiving a letter by next week and that some review teams may take longer than others. I'm hoping for the best! 

10 hours ago, ladymentha said:

I just got my acceptance letter from CSULA dated 03/01/2017. I submitted my application on 01/13/2017 (The last possible day...:huh:)

Is anyone planning on going to CSULA? 

HEY! I turned in my application to CSULA on January 11th and was accepted Feb 27th! I was accepted to the ASP cohort! What program did you get accepted to?!?!

On 3/2/2017 at 0:12 PM, jacky22 said:

@rmeza I still haven't received any notice from CSULA, so I called the office. They said since I submitted my application by the priority deadline, I should be receiving a letter by next week and that some review teams may take longer than others. I'm hoping for the best! 

@jacky22 i dropped off my commitment to the department in person and i was being nosy and it looks like there's still a few acceptance packages left to be sent (i did not look at anyone's names, nor saw there was any names in view; i just saw a small stack of acceptance/commitment letters on the desk) so there's still hope for yah!

as of right now i'm committed to csula as i'm waitlisted at long beach 

8 hours ago, hern171 said:

HEY! I turned in my application to CSULA on January 11th and was accepted Feb 27th! I was accepted to the ASP cohort! What program did you get accepted to?!?!

I applied for the three years program since I plan to continue to work full time the 1st year and part-time the 2nd and 3rd. This will be my 2nd master's degree so I hope I know what I am getting myself into. :mellow: 

If I was younger (I am still in my 20's...haha)  and don't have a job with full benefits, I would go for the two years route. 

@rmeza Thanks for the heads up! When you recieved your acceptance letter from CSULA, was it a packet or an envelope?

For anyone that has gotten accepted into CSULA, what are your stats (majored in, GPA, experience, ect.)? Thank you (: