I hate mass emails!

digits2006

I checked my email today and I received an email from a professor in one of my top 3 schools I want to attend. It starts off with Mr. ( insert my last name) and talking about how they are starting to review apps and how they will notify early Feb. They got my hopes up really quickly. I thought it could be a POI wanting to know more about my interests. I am happy I received the email since my 3rd LOR has not submitted yet. I hope I dont get anymore false alarms though. I hope the next e-mail is them accepting me :) I know they meet on the 11th for a meeting. I hope I receive some emails next week! Has anyone else been duped by a mass email?

The deadline for one of my programs is Jan 15th, but I sent them my app back in early Dec with the rest of my apps. A couple days after submitting my application I received an email from them saying that my application was complete and was sent to the review committee. So today I receive an email from them, with the subject line stating something about "an update on your application". So I knew that the deadline was still a week and a half away and didn't expect news anytime soon, yet some part of me was wondering if they had already made a decision. So I open the email, and the update is that my application is still under review...umm thanks, kinda figured that. I think they are just trying to mess with my mind.

On the other hand, at least they are acknowledging my existance...

Right now I would totaly take a mass email over silence on all fronts. I submtted quite early, but one of my schools was really good about keeping me in the loop about what was going on. However I have heard nothing from any of the schools now since early December. It makes me feel like I should mail the professors I contacted just to remind them I exist but all I would be doing is going 'Hello, remember our great conversations about how you liked my stats and area of interest?' not cool and I am sure more likely to do harm than good, right?! AGH!

Psychdork you are right about the messing with our minds!

I would also prefer some sign, anything at all, that they're at least reviewing my application :(

As it is right now the only feedback I've received has been problems, problems, problems: transcripts not received even though I sent them, not accepted despite being official, TOEFL not received despite being ordered, GRE not received despite being ordered, visa application not received even though I need papers from the school first and cannot fill out those forms, inability to log in to check application status because I don't have a social security number needed to retrieve my login information etc etc ad nauseam.

Enough to make me paranoid that nobody will even look at my applications because they're somehow incomplete or something...

I just got one that said, "Dream University Graduate School Application Status," which it turns out was just a reminder that the Web site had a status section. Uh, yes, I've been there at least once a day for weeks. Next time, that subject line should be, "Don't Wig Out! This Is Just a Logistical Email."

Worst mass email ever--last year Notre Dame sent the same rejection email to about 40 English lit applicants. They didn't even bother putting in our names. It was like a slap in the face to my humanity.

Actually, I think the rejection email from one sociology program last year (I think it was sociology -- fortunately I didn't get it myself) takes the cake: the sender put all the recipient email addresses into the "To:" field instead of BCC, so they were all visible to each other.

While before spam/promo emails just mildly annoyed me, now they drive me insane. Every time I see a little envelope on my blackberry screen I get my hopes up, frantically push the buttons and... "Victoria's secret end of the year sale is almost over! Hurry!". Even worse are emails from random graduate schools via ETS database - they actually have the word "GRADUATE" in their subject/address, which makes my heart stop every time. Sometimes I just want to put a filter on my inbox so that it would let in only the adcom emails:)

I agree with pretty much all of you: I hate mass e-mails that notify me that my application is still under review. I also hate the 'check your application' sites: they NEVER update, so it's just sort of useless having something there.

Although I have to laugh. Duke has sent me two e-mails since I applied back in October; each of which was titled 'Weekly Status Update'. The first one was in mid-November; the second was two days after they invited me to interview (and informed me that my application was, in fact, still under review).

On Tuesday, I got an e-mail from Columbia University saying that I had been selected for a two day interview at the school in February. I was so excited because it was the first application I sent in back in December and proceeded to tell my best friend, my mom, etc. Last night, I got another e-mail saying:

"We are terribly sorry to have to inform you that we used the incorrect list of applicants when sending out the audition invitations. Thus we are actually unable to offer you an audition at this time. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused, and greatly appreciate your understanding."

I mean, seriously, you couldn't double check the list of people you were sending it to before getting their hopes up? Really?

I just got one from WHOI/MIT. Thankfully, it was short, so I was able to skim quickly to the key sentence:

"We have received your application."

I knew that via website on December 15th!

Evidently, they have "completely changed [their] application process this year. This new system had to be developed, installed, tested and learned in a relatively short period of time."

Back to the waiting game until late February...

On Tuesday, I got an e-mail from Columbia University saying that I had been selected for a two day interview at the school in February. I was so excited because it was the first application I sent in back in December and proceeded to tell my best friend, my mom, etc. Last night, I got another e-mail saying:

"We are terribly sorry to have to inform you that we used the incorrect list of applicants when sending out the audition invitations. Thus we are actually unable to offer you an audition at this time. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused, and greatly appreciate your understanding."

I mean, seriously, you couldn't double check the list of people you were sending it to before getting their hopes up? Really?

That is just horrible!!

I was actually afraid of that when one of the adcom of THE dream school called me to say I was invited for an interview and that an email would follow - and the email didn't come for what seemed like forever- it later turned out that they had mistyped my email address but during those three days I had the worst nightmares!

I seriously feel for you two.snaps.up. you should sue them for emotional trauma

neways back to the mass email issue.

I rather have one that no news.... one of my dream schools is apparently sending invites to pple but I only got a mass email saying they are currently under review and that the decisions will be made in February or March...

so i'm hoping.... maybe the department I applied to really does review in February or March...

Oh I hate stuff like this!

I keep getting emails from "Favorite University Graduate School" only to open it to find a Happy Holidays message, a message flaunting the university's achievements and famous grads, or a "Things to do in XYZville" type site. I know they know exactly what they're doing by sending those!

I got emails on the 15th saying my application was complete. I knew that I might be receiving emails on that day so I didn't get excited. Schools should not send anymore messages after the deadline unless you are accepting me or rejecting me!

Why do you guys get the "Happy Holidays", or "Application Complete" or "Irrelevant Email With Obscure Content"? To spin off the "4 Yorkshiremen", you're lucky to get irrelevant emails! I used to dream of irrelevant emails! All I get is "Application incomplete" or "We cannot accept the official transcripts you sent us" or, more commonly, silence!

Gah! Just got one of the "weekly status update" emails from Duke (though, smartly, they've now dropped "weekly" from the subject) and it pretty much gave me a heart attack. I also received yesterday a couple of recent articles from one of the profs at Stanford (he said he would send them to me way back in November, just to be nice I think, and they got lost in the mail until now). Seeing that big fat 9x11 enveloped from Stanford also gave me a heart attack, until I saw who the sender was.

Stupid mass emails and/or professors who are fantastically nice but nonetheless make me crazy by sending things that don't have to do with my application!

I'm a little high-strung these days.

I'm glad we have a group here that understands my feelings. I'm calling my parents/friends at random hours like "omg do you think this email mean that I got in? Am i waitlisted? Shortlisted? "

....They all pleasantly nod and smile, but I know they are sick of me talking about it. :-)

Portland sent out some scholarship opportunities for bicycle and pedestrian planning, and my first thought was, "Oh! They must have read my personal statement, and they think this is relevant to me, and I have a chance at being admitted!"

Then they sent out another general scholarship e-mail that included the bicycle/pedestrian ones, and I realized, no. They're just sending these to all applicants. :(