I hate mass emails!

digits2006

Portland sent out some scholarship opportunities for bicycle and pedestrian planning, and my first thought was, "Oh! They must have read my personal statement, and they think this is relevant to me, and I have a chance at being admitted!"

Then they sent out another general scholarship e-mail that included the bicycle/pedestrian ones, and I realized, no. They're just sending these to all applicants. :(

Ouch. It sucks when you THINK they're replying especially to you, and then it turns out...not so much. But hey, sounds like that scholarship is relevant whether or not it was particularly for you, so that's a good thing!

I apparently signed up for Columbia's arts faculty mailing list - but didn't apply there. This morning, I had an email and the 'from' field read 'admission-arts'. I freaked out.

Seriously, using that for your general info mailing list - and not noting the school name alongside - is just slightly cruel.

I just got one from Wisconsin - from a personal address, not "grad school" or similar - that started with "I am pleased to inform you..." Not impressed. Though it did give a timeframe for announcing decisions, so I'll forgive them.

I keep receiving general subfield section updates from a professor at one of the top programs. I'm just on the listserv for this section, so the subject line, of course, has nothing to do with admissions or applications. Nonetheless, every time I open my e-mail and see this professor's name in the "sender" column, my heart skips a beat. The city for the next conference is a historical wonder to explore? Fabulous, but I really just want an acceptance! :D