Stanford GSE

day_manderly

10 hours ago, nm2016 said:

@higheredbee ooh, I'd rather not say, sorry! the doctoral cohorts at the gse are very small and I would probably identify myself :P but happy to take random non-identifying questions if you have any... nice to meet you all! and best of luck these next few weeks as the (hopefully) acceptance letters begin rolling in!

no problem! thanks for the well wishes ^_^

nonidentifying question: Was there anything about Stanford or GSE that surprised you after starting your program?

12 hours ago, higheredbee said:

no problem! thanks for the well wishes ^_^

nonidentifying question: Was there anything about Stanford or GSE that surprised you after starting your program?

great question! yes. so many things. to be fair, i will name a positive & negative:

plus: i am used to schools of education always being underfunded and underrated everywhere, but especially at prestigious schools.  not here. in fact, if you need money to kickstart a project, there are at least five sources i can run off the tip of my tongue that will probably fund you. and that's not because i know anything beyond the average student @ stanford; they drill into your head all the resources that are available for you from the moment you step foot into this place.  part-time jobs are also plentiful and pay generously, if you're into not being a starving grad student. :P 

minus: classes are by and large a mixed bag. some classes have been horrid because of star-studded faculty who are well-intentioned but honestly do not know how to teach or generally communicate.  other classes have been fine, but it is impossible to tell from looking at the course catalog.  it's widely known across the gse that it ranks low among other schools within the university on "quality of teaching and learning".  an irony considering it's the gse... 

8 hours ago, pj060690 said:

I have applied for the POLS MA. Anyone else here who has applied for the program? In terms of GRE 163V, 160 Q and 5 in AWA. 

I have applied for ICE MA. Visited Stanford in Jan. I attended a class too. It was great and very stimulating. They mentioned they wrap up decisions by end-Feb. 

28 minutes ago, Girl with Buddha Tattoo said:

I have applied for ICE MA. Visited Stanford in Jan. I attended a class too. It was great and very stimulating. They mentioned they wrap up decisions by end-Feb. 

Wow, that sounds great! Would love to know more about the class. End Feb is a couple of weeks!! Fingers crossed!

52 minutes ago, pj060690 said:

Wow, that sounds great! Would love to know more about the class. End Feb is a couple of weeks!! Fingers crossed!

There were around 20 students in the class and the course was about how society and world affects education. Prof. led the class with some big questions about different countries and the quality of higher education to K-12 in countries like Finland, Germany, Japan, India, Singapore and of course US. It was 2 hours class. He also spoke about Nationalism and how does that affect education systems. Students were well-read too. In between the Prof. and students discussed about various authors like Benedict Anderson (whose work I came across again lately by an Indian author Ramachandra Guha). So, it was kind of very stimulating and I walked out thinking a lot about the questions posed. I haven't attended classes in other Universities so I don't have anything to compare to but for me that kind of sealed the deal that what makes Stanford GSE awesome.

Edited by Girl with Buddha Tattoo

26 minutes ago, Girl with Buddha Tattoo said:

There were around 20 students in the class and the course was about how society and world affects education. Prof. led the class with some big questions about different countries and the quality of higher education to K-12 in countries like Finland, Germany, Japan, India, Singapore and of course US. It was 2 hours class. He also spoke about Nationalism and how does that affect education systems. Students were well-read too. In between the Prof. and students discussed about various authors like Benedict Anderson (whose work I came across again lately by an Indian author Ramachandra Guha). So, it was kind of very stimulating and I walked out thinking a lot about the questions posed. I haven't attended classes in other Universities so I don't have anything to compare to but for me that kind of sealed the deal that what makes Stanford GSE awesome.

Thanks so much for sharing! Ramachandra Guha's work is indeed interesting ☺ good luck to your application!

well it looks like the results are coming in any day now, based on the one SHIPS post on the results page. I'm trying not to feel glum about not getting a call, since someone obviously did, as I know there's still hope given that getting a call is POI dependent. Good luck to all of you who are waiting.

On 2/21/2017 at 2:37 AM, bzcqdacube?? said:

I am wondering if anyone knows when possibly Stanford will send out the decisions of masters for this year? 

I think it depends from program to program. I believe that there are different days for different programs. Someone I know got their decision for ICE on 6th/7th March a couple of years back. 1st week of March for all us I guess!

I don't know if you all are including STEP in this thread, but I think STEP and Master's applications were due on the same day (Jan 10th for me?) and I received my admission email last Friday... hopefully they're coming for you soon? They also notified us that their online portal is under maintenance through Wednesday so we can't log in and accept our official offers. Maybe they delayed sending out their admission emails for other programs for a few days to prevent a buildup? 

1 hour ago, OhMyGodric17 said:

I don't know if you all are including STEP in this thread, but I think STEP and Master's applications were due on the same day (Jan 10th for me?) and I received my admission email last Friday... hopefully they're coming for you soon? They also notified us that their online portal is under maintenance through Wednesday so we can't log in and accept our official offers. Maybe they delayed sending out their admission emails for other programs for a few days to prevent a buildup? 

I believe STEP applicants hear back first and then the rest of the applicants hear back. Congratulations on your acceptance :) 

But perhaps the rest of us are due to hear back soon then! 

On another note, my applicant status keeps saying incomplete even though they have received my scores officially. Is this because of the unofficial transcripts? When I wrote to the school, they informed me that it's probably because it's under process and that they will write to me if there are any issues with my application. Just adds to the anxiety though!

Edited by pj060690

11 hours ago, pj060690 said:

But perhaps the rest of us are due to hear back soon then! 

On another note, my applicant status keeps saying incomplete even though they have received my scores officially. Is this because of the unofficial transcripts? When I wrote to the school, they informed me that it's probably because it's under process and that they will write to me if there are any issues with my application. Just adds to the anxiety though!

Actually I encountered the same issue. Admission officials said they would inform me if anything was wrong.

14 hours ago, pj060690 said:

I think it depends from program to program. I believe that there are different days for different programs. Someone I know got their decision for ICE on 6th/7th March a couple of years back. 1st week of March for all us I guess!

That would be very nice to hear in the first week of March! Hopefully it is! Good luck to everyone!

I hope you all get in!

I mentioned before that I was accepted to STEP - I would really like to attend, but so far financial aid is a bit unclear. They have a "STEP fellowship" which I initially thought meant each student might get up to $25,000... though it looks more like that amount is divided among the cohort and maybe amounts to a few thousand dollars. It also looks like STEP folks are eligible for a $25,000 forgivable loan... but uh... that still leaves about $50,000 to be covered in other loans. I don't know how manageable that would be on a teacher's salary :-\

I was admitted last Friday, but nobody has mentioned any financial aid package as of yet :wacko: