Fall 2010 application season Chem responses

Steph<3Chem

Hi,

So far (Jan. 7, 2010) I've heard back from UT Austin, UNC, UW Madison, and UIUC. I'm waiting on MIT, CalTech, Berkeley, and Stanford. What about everyone else?

seems like we're applying to almost exactly same schools. So far, only accepted to Scripps Research Inst., and waiting on MIT, Caltech, Berkeley, Stanford, and Harvard. Anyone heard from any of those?

Edited by spybear

Hi,

So far (Jan. 7, 2010) I've heard back from UT Austin, UNC, UW Madison, and UIUC. I'm waiting on MIT, CalTech, Berkeley, and Stanford. What about everyone else?

Only heard back from UC Davis and UC San Diego. Madison, Boulder, Stanford, Harvard, and Michigan have not responded yet.. I'm willing to bet some of these schools have rolling admissions..

Only heard back from UC Davis and UC San Diego. Madison, Boulder, Stanford, Harvard, and Michigan have not responded yet.. I'm willing to bet some of these schools have rolling admissions..

What do rolling admissions mean?

What do rolling admissions mean?

Admits are sent throughout the admission period. The first batch of applications are reviewed, standouts are accepted, others are outright rejected or placed aside for consideration later. This proceeds until all slots are filled.

So if you're competitive at a high level, but not a standout, you might not be accepted in the first wave.. don't fret if others have already been accepted.. that's all I'm saying.

Since when do Chemistry departments have interviews?

Mine are interview/recruitment weekends - I'm not sure how much the interviews have to do with admissions. Seems like they might have more to do with selecting fellowship recipients or even just giving us a chance to meet faculty and find out more about the research. Also, not all of my departments are straight chemistry - I'm biological chemistry, so some are Chemistry departments, some are biochem departments, and some are integrated programs in biosciences.

Hi,

Hey, guys and gals.

Heard positively (invitations to visit and stipend offers) from CalTech, UIUC, Northwestern, Scripps, and Princeton. Waiting for Yale, Harvard, MIT, UT Austin, and Stanford.

I'm going for bio-organic chemistry - basically looking at groups that use organic synthesis for bio-related problems. Heh, I know that's pretty broad, but so are my interests. :-)

Good luck, everyone!

Edited by UptownWit

Hey, guys and gals.

Heard from CalTech, UIUC, Northwestern, Scripps, and Princeton. Waiting for Yale, Harvard, MIT, UT Austin, and Stanford.

Good luck, everyone!

UptownWit: Can you (and others) reply with a little more about what specific programs you applied to (i.e generic chemistry or a specific sub-program)/outcome? I think it would be helpful for others to have this information rather than just knowing vaguely what schools someone has heard from. Thanks!

Hey UptownWit, do you mind telling us how much is the stipend offer of Caltech?

I actually just got the call from them on Saturday, and they said it'd be in the letter they mailed. I'll tell you as soon as I find out.

Hey Everyone!

I applied to a ton of places (my interests are kind of specialized) but I haven't heard back from anybody yet. Then again, I just submitted the January 15th apps and most places didn't receive my GRE subject scores until one to two weeks ago due to an ETS catastrophe. Have I screwed myself over by getting things in late or too close to the deadline?

I applied to Physical Chemistry and a few Biophysics programs at (drumroll):

UC Berkeley (Biophysics), Stanford, Caltech, UCSF, Scripps (also Biophysics), Northwestern, Chicago, UNC, Michigan Ann Arbor, Harvard, Colorado Boulder, Madison, Cornell, UIUC, and Columbia.

Too many I know.

In response to earlier requests that posts be more detailed/specific and recent news from schools, here is my updated "heard back" list with the school, program, date & method I heard back, and when I plan to visit (too much info, I know, but people were asking...):

UT Austin (Biochemistry), heard by email 12/15, visiting 1/28

UNC Chapel Hill (BBSP), heard by email 12/29, visiting 2/11

UW Madison (IPiBiochemistry), heard by phone 1/4, visiting 2/18

UIUC (Chemistry), heard by email 1/5, visiting 3/19

Stanford (Chemistry), heard by phone 1/13, will select visit date from 2/25, 3/4, or 3/11

UC Berkeley (Chemistry), heard by email 1/15, will select from same weekends as Stanford

MIT (Chemistry) waiting

Caltech (Chemistry) waiting