25 minutes ago, Herringk said:

Which one do you want to go to? I was admitted to Texas, UNC, and Michigan (got in 2 March), but I am deciding between UNC and Michigan. My choice is ultimately going to come down to finances, so as of now I'm leaning towards UNC, but I'm waiting to hear back from UMich about scholarships...

What are you planning on focusing on? Is money an issue? I think those are the two most important factors to consider.

Hi Herringk,

I am deciding between UW and Michigan(though I didn't have the admission yet).If Michigan rejects me then I will definitely go for UW.

I want to focus on Children's services and technology if I can. I like Michigan but the tuition is so expensive almost twice that of UW. I don't think that I can get any scholarship or aid. Maybe I should just wait for the admission result before I make any decisions. But waiting is so excruciating:(

2 hours ago, fantastic356 said:

Hi Herringk,

I am deciding between UW and Michigan(though I didn't have the admission yet).If Michigan rejects me then I will definitely go for UW.

I want to focus on Children's services and technology if I can. I like Michigan but the tuition is so expensive almost twice that of UW. I don't think that I can get any scholarship or aid. Maybe I should just wait for the admission result before I make any decisions. But waiting is so excruciating:(

I am in a very similar boat!!! UM is really expensive!!! I'm out of state, so two years there would almost be as much as my four year undergraduate degree from an in state school!!!

I would recommend waiting. Unless UW is pressuring you to accept now, nothing bad can happen if you wait. Just in case! I really empathize, too. Waiting to hear about funding has honestly been harding than waiting to hear of acceptance!

8 hours ago, Herringk said:

I am in a very similar boat!!! UM is really expensive!!! I'm out of state, so two years there would almost be as much as my four year undergraduate degree from an in state school!!!

I would recommend waiting. Unless UW is pressuring you to accept now, nothing bad can happen if you wait. Just in case! I really empathize, too. Waiting to hear about funding has honestly been harding than waiting to hear of acceptance!

May I ask when did you complete your application to Michigan with all of your materials and LORs submitted? I submitted mine before Jan 15 and due to delay on my recommendations my application was complete in late February. Last week I emailed the information school and they said they are still reviewing. I really want to know how long this phase normally takes.

On 2017/3/22 at 11:25 AM, mcgatay said:

University of Washington sent out their decisions on 3/14 - accepted! 

Hi magatay! Congrats! I got accepted to UW too. Do you want to go there?

11 hours ago, fantastic356 said:

May I ask when did you complete your application to Michigan with all of your materials and LORs submitted? I submitted mine before Jan 15 and due to delay on my recommendations my application was complete in late February. Last week I emailed the information school and they said they are still reviewing. I really want to know how long this phase normally takes.

Of course-- I actually submitted my application in late September (I think the 27th)! My recommenders submitted their recommendations by 1 Oct. However, I didn't receive an email telling me my application was complete until the middle of December! I studied abroad over winter break, that's why I wanted my applications to be done EARLY. Doing that, however, has made waiting a g o n y. I heard back from UNC in Feb., and Texas and Michigan on the 1st and 2nd of March, respectively. So Texas and Michigan had my applications for five months! I remember when I got back to the US, I checked my application status on Michigan's website to see if anything had happened... and it said that my application had been completed in January. Long story short, I think Michigan takes their sweet time. 

I wouldn't worry too much about it. I know a LOT of people are still waiting on their Michigan acceptances. I think the first round (that I was part of) is for the people that completed their applications early. I have heard they normally do three rounds. Since they don't have a deadline for their offers, this makes sense. Most schools do however... UNC's is 15 April (like most other schools), so I need to know about scholarships soon!

I hope this eases your worry!

20 hours ago, Herringk said:

Of course-- I actually submitted my application in late September (I think the 27th)! My recommenders submitted their recommendations by 1 Oct. However, I didn't receive an email telling me my application was complete until the middle of December! I studied abroad over winter break, that's why I wanted my applications to be done EARLY. Doing that, however, has made waiting a g o n y. I heard back from UNC in Feb., and Texas and Michigan on the 1st and 2nd of March, respectively. So Texas and Michigan had my applications for five months! I remember when I got back to the US, I checked my application status on Michigan's website to see if anything had happened... and it said that my application had been completed in January. Long story short, I think Michigan takes their sweet time. 

I wouldn't worry too much about it. I know a LOT of people are still waiting on their Michigan acceptances. I think the first round (that I was part of) is for the people that completed their applications early. I have heard they normally do three rounds. Since they don't have a deadline for their offers, this makes sense. Most schools do however... UNC's is 15 April (like most other schools), so I need to know about scholarships soon!

I hope this eases your worry!

Thanks for your kind response. That really helps!! Hope that you can receive scholarships and see you there in Michigan!

On 3/21/2017 at 10:39 PM, Herringk said:

Yay! Congrats! Is that your top choice?

On 3/23/2017 at 10:27 PM, fantastic356 said:

Hi magatay! Congrats! I got accepted to UW too. Do you want to go there?

I'm a bit of an odd duck in that UW is the only library science program I applied to. They're certainly one of my top choices, but my other two are a rhetoric program and a publishing program. UW's a serious contender though! It's probably going to come down to whether I get funding offers from my other heavyweights.  @fantastic356 have you decided to attend UW? 

I'd love to talk to anyone who is seriously considering UW. 

19 hours ago, mcgatay said:

I'm a bit of an odd duck in that UW is the only library science program I applied to.

I don't think that's all that odd, to be honest. A lot of library folk are more regionally locked for a variety of reasons. :) At least far more so than a lot of other disciplines.

10 hours ago, Neist said:

I don't think that's all that odd, to be honest. A lot of library folk are more regionally locked for a variety of reasons. :) At least far more so than a lot of other disciplines.

Nor I, @mcgatay! I'm almost 100% I'll be going to the school that's the closest to me as well!

• 2 weeks later...

I called UMD today. They said they rejected me a while ago, but they still haven't sent me an email and the website still says my application is under review. Filled out the Survey.

Edited by poopyhead

3 hours ago, Herringk said:

@poopyhead Oh no, I'm so sorry!!! That's really disappointing. I'm sorry!

Thanks ... At this point I had already given up anyway. Have you heard back? Oh, I forgot to mention, when I called them, they initially said something like, "If you still haven't heard back, you're probably on the waitlist" (apparently they just forgot to send me my rejection notice?), so if you're still waiting, that's probably your situation. They were very friendly and courteous on the phone, so it might be worth a call.

9 hours ago, Herringk said:

@poopyhead I got into UNC, which is where my heart was set on, and I actually officially accepted on Tuesday! So I'm officially graduate school bound. 

Again, I'm sorry. That's really sucky. Especially because they didn't even give you any idea!

Hey! Congrats! So you have declined your offer from Michigan? I got the email on Tuesday that says they have given out the first round scholarships.Did you hear any positive response about funding?And I am still waiting =,= for admission

10 hours ago, fantastic356 said:

Hey! Congrats! So you have declined your offer from Michigan? I got the email on Tuesday that says they have given out the first round scholarships.Did you hear any positive response about funding?And I am still waiting =,= for admission

Yes, I declined my offer from Michigan. I didn't get any funding in the first round. I also didn't want to wait around for the second! Which, they said, would be in mid-April. UNC has a deadline (of 15 April), and they were my first choice, regardless. Easy decision. I also declined my Texas offer, but I did that awhile ago. 

In regards to scholarships, I don't know anyone that got anything from the first round. No one on the prospective student page got anything on FB (or admitted if they did), and no one did in a Whatsapp prospective group I was a part of. I know the second round for admissions went out recently, I saw people post in the FB group. Here's the link for that group, if you're not already a part of it. https://www.facebook.com/groups/UMSIProspective2017/. I'm not sure when the third one will go out... 

I wouldn't hesitate to contact them. Things are getting close!