Jump to content

Welcome to the 2016-17 cycle!


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Claiming an official admission offer from UC Irvine! Oh it's a relief!

If we consider Berkeley and Princeton as rejects, I am three rejections and await on 6 more humbly (and why not count princeton and berkeley? In Russia, if something goes away and you don't hear more,

Today I decided for OSU. I hope this means somebody can get good news from the other programs that accepted me. Still have to hear definitively from Notre Dame, but to assume rejection at this po

Posted Images

I came back to share my interview experience with eveybody else. Maybe it could be of help for those who are interviewing with ND! So the professor asked three questions, why ND, what field I am most interested in (including a possible minor field). The last question was most difficult. My POI asked me where I have been accepted to, here, I kind of panicked because I didnt know whether telling them the whole list was appropriate, but I blurted out the list. My POI asked how much possibiity there is for me to go to ND if I were accepted. As ND was one of my top choices in terms of fit, I said the possibility was high. The follow up question was what the deciding factor of choosing a school would be, so I replied that the visitation weeks would be most crucial since I belive what I feel being at a certain school with particular faculty would be most important. For those who receive a similar question (the last one) how would you reply without seeming rude or undecided where to go (as all the schools I have been admitted to are a great fit)?

Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, aroundandabout said:

I came back to share my interview experience with eveybody else. Maybe it could be of help for those who are interviewing with ND! So the professor asked three questions, why ND, what field I am most interested in (including a possible minor field). The last question was most difficult. My POI asked me where I have been accepted to, here, I kind of panicked because I didnt know whether telling them the whole list was appropriate, but I blurted out the list. My POI asked how much possibiity there is for me to go to ND if I were accepted. As ND was one of my top choices in terms of fit, I said the possibility was high. The follow up question was what the deciding factor of choosing a school would be, so I replied that the visitation weeks would be most crucial since I belive what I feel being at a certain school with particular faculty would be most important. For those who receive a similar question (the last one) how would you reply without seeming rude or undecided where to go (as all the schools I have been admitted to are a great fit)?

Thanks for sharing, super helpful to be prepared for such a question. I think you did the right thing. I would reply that I only applied to places that I believed were a great fit so the possibility remains high. I don't believe that seems rude or undecided, if you have offers from multiple institutions and they are of equal fit to you then naturally a visitation experience and final funding offer would help you make a final decision. You should be proud that you have multiple offers and be willing to find what will be best for you to achieve your objective. I think it would only be rude to hold up an offer if you did not have the intention to go at all. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, robusterror said:

Thanks for sharing, super helpful to be prepared for such a question. I think you did the right thing. I would reply that I only applied to places that I believed were a great fit so the possibility remains high. I don't believe that seems rude or undecided, if you have offers from multiple institutions and they are of equal fit to you then naturally a visitation experience and final funding offer would help you make a final decision. You should be proud that you have multiple offers and be willing to find what will be best for you to achieve your objective. I think it would only be rude to hold up an offer if you did not have the intention to go at all. 

Thanks for the reply! Considering the fact that all programs I applied to were based on strong fit, and funding may be similar amongst programs, visitation would be most crucial for me to decide where to go. I wish you the best with your applications!!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks @Bibica!

I'm a Latin Americanist too. I liked Stanford because my interests are very similar to BM's, and there is also a small but amazing group of non-Latin Americanists at Stanford who share my more general substantive interests. But I would definitely say that the overall fit at Stanford wasn't quite as good as it was at other places—I'm very (happily) surprised by this one!

 

 

Edited by oakeshott
Link to post
Share on other sites

Congrats, all of you who recently received acceptances, especially those coveted Stanford and Columbia acceptances!

Also, I would like to formally request that my college stop sending me emails until this cycle is over. I'm tired of getting psyched up every time I get an email notification only to read some pointless communiqué about a campus event.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Monody said:

Do you think that they sent out all offers? After all, 9PM is quite late.

I'd say wait until tomorrow to see if any rejections come out. Hopefully there are still some acceptances pending, but last year only one person claimed an acceptance so we don't have a lot of information to go on.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Monody said:

Do you think that they sent out all offers? After all, 9PM is quite late.

It seems like Stanford's notification process is quite decentralized, in the sense that all communication is coming from POIs. So I agree that there is a good chance that some admits won't hear until tomorrow, or possibly even the weekend. 

@Bibica, I'm going to try to attend all the visits. Maybe I'll see you at Princeton? 

Edited by oakeshott
Link to post
Share on other sites

Received a call from Stanford POI at around 5 PM (Pacific)!!!!!! I probably sounded really dumb over the phone; I'm still recovering from the shock lol

I was staring into a lot of rejections before this, so everyone keep your hopes up! You never know when good news is going to come... 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.