Fall 2017 I/O Psych Applicants

wecanalldothis2017

Hi, fellow Decafer! I think I've been on the verge of a nervous breakdown since I started this damn application process.. :P Here's a WIP app list. How many are you applying to? I was thinking around 10-15 to build my chances, but it might be overkill.

- NYU
- East Carolina Uni
- Minnesota State
- Radford
- SFSU
- Valdosta State
- Xavier Uni
- Elmhurst College
- Uni of New Haven

10-15 is definitely not overkill, I think that is pretty standard across the board. 

I'm applying to 8...

-Portland State 

-Bowling Green 

-U SouthFlorida

-Colorado 

-George Mason 

-U of Tulsa 

-U of Albany 

-Clemson

Is this your first year applying to I/O schools? I cannot wait till all my apps are in and I can finally sleep/relax haha

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone heard anything from U of Connecticut's I/O program? I've emailed a couple people over there (+ some followups) and haven't heard a peep. They seem to have a good program but I'm not going to waste money and time applying just to find out my POI isn't taking applicants etc etc.

Edited by Volo

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Volo! 

U of Conn. was the ONE and only program that never even bothered to email me back. I kept checking my junk email to see if it got in there, I was shocked not even a reply. To be honest, other prestigious schools who emailed me back within 2 hours, I felt U of Conn. to be rather rude in not even a reply months later. I decided to take them off my list of schools because of it. I wouldn't waste my time or money applying to a school who doesn't have the etiquette or respect to do their job and email students back. *Sorry* just my two cents. Good luck! :)

38 minutes ago, Gabbie Sedotto said:

Does anyone have any helpful tips on writing personal statements? Not really sure where to start!

Here are some links you might find helpful:

https://sites.google.com/site/gradappadvice/application-essays

http://neoacademic.com/2014/01/09/grad-school-how-do-i-write-a-personal-statement/

http://lauraemariani.blogspot.com/2008/12/applying-to-graduate-school-statement.html

Edited by St0chastic

I recently graduated with a B.A. in psychology and was able to complete a fair number of graduate courses during my time at my undergraduate institution. I have had several HR internships and am in fact at the end of my assignment for my current HR internship. I'm currently interviewing for full time positions and have a few leads (entry level HR positions). The only research experience I have was conducting my senior thesis this past year. As for the GRE, I took it last year and received a 154V 152Q. I retook it about 2 days ago and was very disappointed as I only improved by 4 points (156V 154Q). I'm applying to schools in the NYC area (NYU, Baruch, Columbia). Should I take the GRE again prior to submitting my applications for the Fall 2017 semester?

Hello everyone! Glad to see some fellow I/O applicants!

I'm applying to U of Maryland

Northwestern

U of Michigan

DePaul

SUNY Buffalo

The deadlines are making me CRAZY.:o

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all,

I can't believe application season is here already. I applied last year, without any luck, and it seems like just yesterday.

I am applying to all Canadian schools across the country. I am not sure how great my chances are, but some professors have indicated I am doing okay competitive wise

The stats:

Education: B.A. Psychology (HONS), advanced diploma in psychology related field

cGPA: 3.50~ @ B.A. level and 3.77 @ college level

Last 2 years gpa: 3.80 (B.A.)

Research experience: I/O related thesis, research assistant position in a business school (7+ months), 4+ years experience in clinical settings (most of them involving some type of research -> practice), and an old article published in an academic newsletter (was based on behaviour modification within a vocational setting).

GRE: 157 V (74% below), 153 Q (51% below), -- not sure on AWA but I usually get 98%

What do you guys think? anyone have similar stats or discussions with departments around their competitiveness?

BEST OF LUCK TO ALL!

If you have time I would recommend retaking the GRE, especially if you are applying to PhD programs and also because the schools you listed are highly competitive. You probably should aim to score north of the 70th percentile at a minimum. 

On 11/22/2016 at 7:50 PM, hpgenomix said:

I recently graduated with a B.A. in psychology and was able to complete a fair number of graduate courses during my time at my undergraduate institution. I have had several HR internships and am in fact at the end of my assignment for my current HR internship. I'm currently interviewing for full time positions and have a few leads (entry level HR positions). The only research experience I have was conducting my senior thesis this past year. As for the GRE, I took it last year and received a 154V 152Q. I retook it about 2 days ago and was very disappointed as I only improved by 4 points (156V 154Q). I'm applying to schools in the NYC area (NYU, Baruch, Columbia). Should I take the GRE again prior to submitting my applications for the Fall 2017 semester?

On 12/8/2016 at 1:11 PM, Blackwater said:

If you have time I would recommend retaking the GRE, especially if you are applying to PhD programs and also because the schools you listed are highly competitive. You probably should aim to score north of the 70th percentile at a minimum. 

Thanks, I'm applying to Masters programs. I am taking the GRE in two weeks so I hope the third time is the charm. 

Hello fellow I/Oers!

Applying to PhD at:

-Rice

-George Washington University

-Penn State

-UPenn (Psychology)

-Colorado State

-Portland State

-Harvard (OB)

-Columbia

-Akron

-TAMU (OB)

Got an interview invite for TAMU yesterday (didn't realize I might hear from schools this early so I'm really excited). 

Fast Stats: GRE Composite 330 (98%) Q 165, V 165. BA Psychology GPA 3.4, MA Clinical Mental Health Counseling GPA 4.0. Research Assistant for 6 months. 1 SIOP Poster (Going for the first time in April! AHH!). 

Interests: My interests are invisible biases (mannerisms, communication style, volume, etc) and their effect on teams. Eventually I would like to be able to create and facilitate training that helps diverse teams work effectively together. 

On 11/15/2016 at 7:29 PM, Gabbie Sedotto said:

Does anyone have any helpful tips on writing personal statements? Not really sure where to start!

My research assistantship supervisor recommended not getting too personal. My first draft read like a backstory of my passion for psychology. Her advice was, "Honestly, your SOP is too personal. It should be more boring than this." I still kept the content, but I edited it to make it less narrative and more academic. 

Good luck to all of you applying to I-O programs this year! It's a pretty stressful time, but you will all make it through. Feel free to private message me if you have questions. I went through the process a couple years ago and know the whole process can be a bit of a mystery. Always remember there is no guaranteed way to get into grad school, so you may receive different advice along the way. Try to make it all work for you.

3 hours ago, Wrellie said:

Good luck to all of you applying to I-O programs this year! It's a pretty stressful time, but you will all make it through. Feel free to private message me if you have questions. I went through the process a couple years ago and know the whole process can be a bit of a mystery. Always remember there is no guaranteed way to get into grad school, so you may receive different advice along the way. Try to make it all work for you.

This is so sweet! I'm also available to answer anyone's questions (not to highjack your post!), especially about Canadian IO schools, applying to IO and business PhD programs at the same time/deciding between the two, or any other admission/application questions.

Best of luck to everyone!

9 hours ago, hpgenomix said:

Any thoughts on the Masters programs at

* University of New Haven 

* Hofstra University

* SUNY Albany

* London School of Economics

*Manchester Business School 

My friend did the masters at LSE, and she really liked it. She has a super cool job now that she really liked. The program focuses much more on the organizational side than the industrial side, in case you wanted a program that's balanced. I don't know about the rest of them.

57 minutes ago, eternallyephemeral said:

My friend did the masters at LSE, and she really liked it. She has a super cool job now that she really liked. The program focuses much more on the organizational side than the industrial side, in case you wanted a program that's balanced. I don't know about the rest of them.

Was the position in the US or international? Also did she have a difficult time finding a position with the international degree?

On 12/20/2016 at 8:41 PM, hpgenomix said:

Was the position in the US or international? Also did she have a difficult time finding a position with the international degree?

It's actually in Canada, where she is from. It was recognized just as highly as any other school of that caliber, but she did have difficulty given the current job market in Canada (not that great) and the level of education required for the positions she was looking at (frequently PhDs were required or recommended). It's just one person's experience, so take it with a grain of salt!

17 hours ago, eternallyephemeral said:

It's actually in Canada, where she is from. It was recognized just as highly as any other school of that caliber, but she did have difficulty given the current job market in Canada (not that great) and the level of education required for the positions she was looking at (frequently PhDs were required or recommended). It's just one person's experience, so take it with a grain of salt!

Absolutely, thanks for your input!

How many schools are everyone applying to? I'm looking at 6ish right now but I feel like I should apply to more. It's just getting so expensive, especially with $27 per GRE score report, and then app fees of like $75 or $100!

Quick question for any of you. I've been reviewing the profiles of current and past Phd I/O students and I've noticed the vast majority have a BA in Psychology, though the programs state that any degree may apply. I have a bachelor's and a master's in a different behavioral science. Am I delusional to think I have a chance? I have research experience, a good GPA, good GRE scores, and good letters of recommendation. I'm just worried that I've put so much effort into this, and they may just overlook me. 

Edited by QuickFelix