Jump to content

2017 EEB Applicant Profiles & Admissions Results


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got admitted to my top choice!!!

Ok, so this is not as straightforward as you might think. I emailed the coordinator and my POI, and was informed that I have a strong application and am definitely still in contention, although I was

I'm in the same boat - every time an e-mail pops up on my phone my heart stops beating for a second. I would just wait it out - don't contact them again. They usually are pretty spot on when they give

3 hours ago, dustonthedash said:

Harvard OEB is sending out invites now according to the survey.

Yep. I'm assuming they were all sent out on or by Friday (1/13). Let me know if anyone knows or has heard differently- until then, they're tucked nice and tightly into my rejection pile.

 

Someone did post a rejection from OEB, which I find curious. I'd like to know if it was a formal or actual rejection or an i-didn't-get-an-invite assumed rejection. 

Edited by Marshall
Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Marshall said:

Someone did post a rejection from OEB, which I find curious. I'd like to know if it was a formal or actual rejection or an i-didn't-get-an-invite assumed rejection. 

I posted the rejection for OEB, the PI let me know on e-mail when I inquired. Sorry for not clarifying that on survey.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Hr. Gore said:

I posted the rejection for OEB, the PI let me know on e-mail when I inquired. Sorry for not clarifying that on survey.

Ah, thanks for letting me know. So, in that case, I'll continue assuming all invitations were sent out.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm curious, how many people are applying solely to programs that are specifically labeled as Ecology/Evolution? I applied to a few Biology programs with several evolutionary biologists in the department and some general Biology umbrella programs.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, the research you were interested in, I'm assuming that people doing that sort of work were in a variety of departments if you were able to apply to EEB and general Bio.

I don't even go here tbh, Harvard is out for me so all my other applications are in Geology departments (where a majority of paleontologists reside). 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Marshall said:

Well, the research you were interested in, I'm assuming that people doing that sort of work were in a variety of departments if you were able to apply to EEB and general Bio.

I'm interested in the molecular evolution of infectious disease. I didn't go looking for general Bio departments, but several people I was interested in working in just happened to be in Bio at UWash. The current university I'm doing my Masters at only has a Biology department and has 9 evolutionary biologists. I saw UMich has an EEB program, but people mostly apply to the PIBS umbrella.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, jmillar said:

I'm curious, how many people are applying solely to programs that are specifically labeled as Ecology/Evolution? I applied to a few Biology programs with several evolutionary biologists in the department and some general Biology umbrella programs.

I applied mostly to EEB specific programs, though some of the faculty I were interested in are also under the Neurobiology/Physiology/Behavior umbrella (which is what my undergrad department was.) I picked based on the directions I want to go with my research.

Edited by dustonthedash
spelling error
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Marshall said:

Well, the research you were interested in, I'm assuming that people doing that sort of work were in a variety of departments if you were able to apply to EEB and general Bio.

I don't even go here tbh, Harvard is out for me so all my other applications are in Geology departments (where a majority of paleontologists reside). 

Only one, and got rejected by my own mentors, hahaha. Though they will take me if didn't get in to any other places

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, SysEvo said:

Only one, and got rejected by my own mentors, hahaha. Though they will take me if didn't get in to any other places

I realize you were responding to the other person, but I had the same thing happen to me my first round of PhD apps (I was in a program, had to leave due to poor fit [after way toooooo long trying to make it work]). I was like "well, fine, I didn't want to go here anyway". I did :rolleyes:.

 

Good luck with those interviews you have lined up!!

Link to post
Share on other sites

So, I haven't heard anything officially from any school and am starting to get antsy. During the application season I had really good rapport with a PI who made it seem that I would almost certainly get into her lab, would it be tacky to contact her to get back in touch? I wouldn't ask her directly about admissions, I just fear how it would look to send her a random "check in" email after a month of no contact, when it happens to be interview invite week.

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, BSB825 said:

Does Michigan State University EEBB have formal interviews?

EEBB is an interdisciplinary program that doesn't hold its own interviews, but most of the departments that are part of EEBB do. What department did you apply to?

Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Pitangus said:

EEBB is an interdisciplinary program that doesn't hold its own interviews, but most of the departments that are part of EEBB do. What department did you apply to?

I applied to integrative biology. I'm not sure if they do interviews.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.