SSHRC Doctoral Fellowship/CGS Doctoral Scholarship 2017/2018

SadieLou

2 minutes ago, tylextylarus said:

Yep, mail has officially arrived in Montreal. I watched my mailwoman climb the stairs and deposit the envelope. (Successful!) Bonne chance a tous! 

Congrats to you!! Can't wait to get back home - I'm definitely leaving school early today.

9 minutes ago, tylextylarus said:

Yep, mail has officially arrived in Montreal. I watched my mailwoman climb the stairs and deposit the envelope. (Successful!) Bonne chance a tous! 

Oh, a huge congratulations to you and everyone else who has been successful this year! Can't wait to get home to know my fate.

Right now, I am trying hard to focus on all of the reasons that it will be okay if I fail in this competition. I'm in Georgia (direct applicant), so it might be a few days before I know the results.

Maybe this will be helpful for other people?

1. There are plenty of chances yet.
2. Every year that you fail is a chance to gain more and more items to put on your CV.
3. Success in this competition is not a measure of your worth.
4. Just being in grad school is akin to winning lots of competitions!

5. The harder you work to prove yourself, the better you become as a scholar.

If anybody else wants to chime in, feel welcome.

Congrats to all who were successful!

4 hours ago, FakeDoctor92 said:

The program I'm entering come fall is in Toronto but for the time being I'm living in the UK. I'm a direct applicant (my application was passed on to the "national competition"), and the university I provisionally designated as my "Organization to award the degree" in my SSHRC application package (when I had yet to hear back from either of the programs I applied to) is not the one whose offer I ended up choosing. I suspect this means there's no way for me to find out whether I was successful before the post comes... which I doubt will get here before the end of the week, if that. Looks like I'll be among the last to find out! :( 

As a side note, while I'd been reassured by a number of people that no major issues would arise in the event of my choosing a program other than the one designated on my SSHRC application--i.e. that were I successful I could take the award at the program I'd chosen--this longer-than-expected wait's given a lot of room for my anxieties to grow. I haven't counted myself out of the race, have I?

No, there should be no effect. But also, if you're a direct applicant, there'd be no way for you to find out from the department that you listed, had you gone there, before the mail comes. I think this is due to it being 2 separate streams of applications.

2 hours ago, SNS said:

Hi there,

I'm a direct applicant at an American university (in NYC) and am waiting to hear back about the results of the doctoral competition. Have any other direct applicants heard back, yet? I'm also wondering HOW we will find out: via email? Snail mail? Also, do we find out through the university in which we are enrolled or does SSHRC contact us directly? 

Look back in the past couple of pages, all your answers are there! 

3 hours ago, preambling said:

So, my result just came in the mail in Montreal. I wasn't successful, but apparently I'm on the waiting list. Does anyone know how often the waiting list thing comes through?

Depends on the year, and how many people turn down SSHRC offers. I know several people who were wait-listed and ended up getting one, so don't give up hope!

47 minutes ago, CrunchCrunch said:

Congrats to everyone who has received positive news!

Have any other cities besides Montreal received their letters? 

I'm assuming those in Ottawa have...

Nothing in Kingston. I expect tomorrow or Wednesday; even though we're close to Ottawa, mail can move slowly between the two cities. 

56 minutes ago, CrunchCrunch said:

Nothing in Hamilton yet...

Just got notified that I got the fellowship! No letter yet though. Just to give some of you with hope, I didn't get it last year - and it was pretty much the similar application. My score last year was extremely low, but this year I got the award. So don't get discouraged even if you didn't get the award! It doesn't reflect your quality as a graduate student.

I'm in Montreal too and the post just passed with no letter.  So I think it is also depending on district, will probably arrive tomorrow.  What a terrible waiting game, the mailman probably wonders why I am so excited to see him lately hehe. 

33 minutes ago, texpatriate85 said:

For anyone else in the U.S. (I'm in Texas), as a point of reference, it took 8 days from the date of my initial letter in February until I received it. The struggle is real.

Hopefully your letter comes quicker than usual. I'm in Delaware, so it will be either tomorrow or Wednesday.

18 minutes ago, violabec said:

I emailed the graduate head of my department. I got the 4-year fellowship. She knew on Friday. Wish she'd let us know!

Congrats! Were you a self-applicant? The reason I ask is that I was a self-applicant, and am wondering then if my department would even know of my result. Hope you get to celebrate now!

23 minutes ago, autumnreflections said:

I'm in Montreal too and the post just passed with no letter.  So I think it is also depending on district, will probably arrive tomorrow.  What a terrible waiting game, the mailman probably wonders why I am so excited to see him lately hehe. 

Oh, that is maddening! Where are you? I'm on the Plateau near Mont-Royal metro. We never get mail until very late in the day here, so I was assuming that it was coming today....gonna be real sad if it doesn't!

2 hours ago, CrunchCrunch said:

You are assuming wrong! I'm in Ottawa and there was nothing in my mail today. Apparently the UOttawa awards office knows, but for some reason I'm waiting till they e-mail me or I get the letter. You know when you've been waiting so long to know that you kind of don't want to know anymore... ?

Pointless hypothesis: I wonder if they send them out alphabetically.

Has anyone got news from Concordia yet? I'm not sure if I should ask my department assistant or the university Awards Office. Nothing in the mail today (Montreal) and my frustration/anticipation is mounting!

18 minutes ago, daisysss said:

You are assuming wrong! I'm in Ottawa and there was nothing in my mail today. Apparently the UOttawa awards office knows, but for some reason I'm waiting till they e-mail me or I get the letter. You know when you've been waiting so long to know that you kind of don't want to know anymore... ?

Pointless hypothesis: I wonder if they send them out alphabetically.

Crazy that the letters reached Montreal earlier than Ottawa!

2 minutes ago, CrunchCrunch said:

Crazy that the letters reached Montreal earlier than Ottawa!

different postal zones have very different speeds and processing procedures. hahaha we are all so impatient #HOLDONTIGHT
PS: my letter is going to yellowknife i think i can just forget about it