SSHRC Doctoral Fellowship/CGS Doctoral Scholarship 2017/2018

SadieLou

16 minutes ago, RailRoadToad said:

Does anyone know if Universities know the results for applicants to applied externally? I applied externally, and indicated on my application which university I intended to study at. I'm just not sure if SSHRC would have notified that University, given that I didn't apply for the SSHRC through the university. Any feedback from external applicants (or anyone who knows) would be appreciated!

No, since external applicants did not apply through any school, the school would have no way of knowing. We have to notify our universities of our success!

54 minutes ago, crackerjacked said:

Nothing in the GTA mail today.

Anyone heard anything from York?

Strange that nothing came. People in Hamilton started getting theirs today and I would have thought that would take longer. Fingers crossed for yours tomorrow.

10 minutes ago, 1Q84 said:

No, since external applicants did not apply through any school, the school would have no way of knowing. We have to notify our universities of our success!

Thank you so much!

11 minutes ago, turkergirl said:

Direct (external) applicants are given the results, but the (non-Canadian) University is not informed, unless you (the applicant) inform them.

Thank you! 

4 hours ago, crunchtastic said:

Got my letter today in Montreal! Awarded a CGS with a score of 16.4/20 (I was in committee 3) :D

That's a great score, congratulations! Would you mind sharing if you had many publications, conferences or the like? 

42 minutes ago, thehungryscholar said:

Strange that nothing came. People in Hamilton started getting theirs today and I would have thought that would take longer. Fingers crossed for yours tomorrow.

You would think we'd get notice in Kingston, a mere 2 hours from Ottawa, right? But no. Arggh. 

Hi All,

I received word from my GPD that I was given the CGS Bombardier award.

However, I will be going to the USA for my PhD and will not be able to bring my CGS with me, as I believe it can only be held in Canada. This means some of you on the wait list may have a chance because of me! :)???

Does anyone have any experience with this? What does it mean that I have to give up my CGS? Do I still put it on my CV etc? Can I downgrade my award to a regular SSHRC doctoral fellowship?

Thanks

Hey all, 

Long-time thread lurker here, and wanted to provide data for people looking at cutoffs and things. My score was 15.4 and I was awarded a Bombardier CGS. I don't know which committee by number, but my project is research-creation-based. 

8 minutes ago, jekawrites said:

Hey all, 

Long-time thread lurker here, and wanted to provide data for people looking at cutoffs and things. My score was 15.4 and I was awarded a Bombardier CGS. I don't know which committee by number, but my project is research-creation-based. 

Yay for research-creation! It is heartening to hear of people receiving grants for this work as well as the more traditional work. (But I am glad for anyone who gets and congrats to all.)

20 minutes ago, cannabisSTSguy said:

Hi All,

However, I will be going to the USA for my PhD and will not be able to bring my CGS with me, as I believe it can only be held in Canada. This means some of you on the wait list may have a chance because of me! :)???

Does anyone have any experience with this? What does it mean that I have to give up my CGS? Do I still put it on my CV etc? Can I downgrade my award to a regular SSHRC doctoral fellowship?

Thanks

First of all, congrats!

You will be "downgraded" to a fellowship. You can still put CGS (declined) on your CV though. :) 

40 minutes ago, cannabisSTSguy said:

Hi All,

Thanks

First of all, congrats! I believe you are able to downgrade the award to the fellowship. However, I'm not sure what this means for people who are on the waitlist. 

I'm somewhat in the same boat. I've been awarded something but I'm not sure what lol (waiting for the mail). And i'm also moving to the US for school, so I have but no option to pursue the fellowship.

Does anyone know how SSHRC external funding coincides with a school's funding? Can you just combine both, loose some, decline one, etc.

Edited by ApplyingToGradSchools

11 minutes ago, ApplyingToGradSchools said:

First of all, congrats! I believe you are able to downgrade the award to the fellowship. However, I'm not sure what this means for people who are on the waitlist. 

I'm somewhat in the same boat. I've been awarded something but I'm not sure what lol (waiting for the mail). And i'm also moving to the US for school, so I have but no option to pursue the fellowship.

Does anyone know how SSHRC external funding coincides with a school's funding? Can you just combine both, loose some, decline one, etc.

great question. so for me, i have funding for 6 years at an american university. some schools have stipend caps (for my university it's $32000USD), which means your internal and external stipend money cannot exceed that amount. you can put some on hold, let one kick in (SSHRC, for example), and resume the halted one when one runs out. there is room to play for sure.

also it's astonishing how weak the CAD is lol

Edited by spicytunaroll

11 minutes ago, spicytunaroll said:

some schools have stipend caps (for my university it's $32000USD), which means your internal and external stipend money cannot exceed that amount.

Just want to chip in that my situation, if I get the fellowship, will be the one you describe here.

5 minutes ago, 1Q84 said:

Just want to chip in that my situation, if I get the fellowship, will be the one you describe here.

Interesting, I get funding through an assistantship not tied to my program so for me, I can keep both.

Long time lurker who decided to do my civic duty and report back to thegradcafe comrades. Received my letter in Ottawa today. Was awarded a CGS at 15.3 (which is definitely an improvement on last year's 8)! Do we just send an e-mail to SSHRC to accept? 

12 minutes ago, lhommependu said:

Has anyone further west than Ontario gotten a letter yet? Tryna gauge when I'm likely to see mine in Vancouver 

There are still those waiting in Ontario.  When they say 3 business days, they really mean it (and by 'they' I mean Canada Post).

Edited by CrunchCrunch
update

http://www.sshrc-crsh.gc.ca/results-resultats/recipients-recipiendaires/2015/cgs_doctoral-doctorat_bes-eng.aspx

can someone explain to me why so many students who are not in Canadian universities won the CGS? I thought it's exclusively for those in canadian institutions? do they just give them CGS in name but eventually award them with a doctoral fellowship? I am so confused...

1 hour ago, spicytunaroll said:

http://www.sshrc-crsh.gc.ca/results-resultats/recipients-recipiendaires/2015/cgs_doctoral-doctorat_bes-eng.aspx

can someone explain to me why so many students who are not in Canadian universities won the CGS? I thought it's exclusively for those in canadian institutions? do they just give them CGS in name but eventually award them with a doctoral fellowship? I am so confused...

I am one of those people as of today.  Yes we just get the award in name but then get a fellowship if you end up going to the US. And it's because we are still Canadian citizens and are able to apply for the award, we just can't take it with us to the US.

3 hours ago, CrunchCrunch said:

There are still those waiting in Ontario.  When they say 3 business days, they really mean it (and by 'they' I mean Canada Post).

It seems weird that people in Montreal are getting it then...unless SSHRC paid extra for out-of-province or sent it earlier.

12 hours ago, jekawrites said:

Hey all, 

Congrats JW! 

Would you mind sharing what publications (ie. writing, art making etc) or conferences or the like you included in your application? My research-creation project is in poetry and poetics and I've never seen one of those receive an award before...

9 hours ago, Briabot said:

Long time lurker who decided to do my civic duty and report back to thegradcafe comrades. Received my letter in Ottawa today. Was awarded a CGS at 15.3 (which is definitely an improvement on last year's 8)! Do we just send an e-mail to SSHRC to accept? 

Hi Briabot, Would you mind sharing what you did to improve your application from an 8 to a 15.3? I've gotten roughly a score of 11 the past two years and have had little idea how to improve it other than to continue publishing in my genre (creative publication). Thanks! 

24 minutes ago, misswan said:

Hi Briabot, Would you mind sharing what you did to improve your application from an 8 to a 15.3? I've gotten roughly a score of 11 the past two years and have had little idea how to improve it other than to continue publishing in my genre (creative publication). Thanks! 

No problem! So I changed quite a bit, I had different references, I changed the project completely (I was a first year phD last year), I included more of my non-peer reviewed publications and placed more emphasis on my relevant work experience. The biggest thing though was that I went to my uni's SSHRC writing course (UofT). If your uni has one highly recommend going, the course organizers (who have sat on SSHRC committees) read through my draft and pointed out some of the problems. I really think that is what made the difference this year.