SSHRC Doctoral Fellowship/CGS Doctoral Scholarship 2017/2018

SadieLou

3 hours ago, genderboi said:

Yes, I was hesitant to reapply to this committee after being rejected last year, but my research really doesn't fit neatly into any one category. I am firmly rooted in the "humanities" camp of WGS so decided to gear my SOP towards committe 1. 

Ohh interesting. I didn't even know that was an option... mine is cultural studies based so I applied to Committee 3 but mine is pretty firmly in the lit studies tradition (though I had only video art in my proposal). Got thru first round cuts so maybe it'll be ok! 

9 minutes ago, Oshawott said:

Now I'm really anxious because I've lost mail before in my apartment. I guess I can always email SSHRC to see what address it was forwarded to :'(

I saw the wrong address in my portfolio and I emailed on Monday and they replied right away confirming they sent to the right address. I'd check!

I contacted my university and have been informed that I have been awarded either the CGS or SSHRC Fellowship (although they weren't clear on which one). Can someone please explain the difference between these two awards? I'm trying to figure out which I may be getting. Online it seemed to be based upon the number of months you've been enrolled in graduate studies?

I got that from the part of the website that says "SSHRC determines the value and duration of an award based on the number of months of full-time study (or equivalent) the applicant will have completed by December 31 of the year of application."

23 hours ago, cannabisSTSguy said:

I am one of those people as of today.  Yes we just get the award in name but then get a fellowship if you end up going to the US. And it's because we are still Canadian citizens and are able to apply for the award, we just can't take it with us to the US.

would this mean that some of those initially awarded a fellowship may receive a CGS? (sorry if this is a silly question, just clarifying!)

1 hour ago, 1Q84 said:

Ohh interesting. I didn't even know that was an option... mine is cultural studies based so I applied to Committee 3 but mine is pretty firmly in the lit studies tradition (though I had only video art in my proposal). Got thru first round cuts so maybe it'll be ok! 

Mine's cultural studies also but I chose committee 1 because the project is poetry...I really wasn't too sure, though. That is something that maybe in these interdisciplinary areas we could use a bit more help on. My program put on a good "how to write it" session for students but that wasn't really something that came up. 

48 minutes ago, gradgoal said:

I contacted my university and have been informed that I have been awarded either the CGS or SSHRC Fellowship (although they weren't clear on which one). Can someone please explain the difference between these two awards? I'm trying to figure out which I may be getting. Online it seemed to be based upon the number of months you've been enrolled in graduate studies?

I got that from the part of the website that says "SSHRC determines the value and duration of an award based on the number of months of full-time study (or equivalent) the applicant will have completed by December 31 of the year of application."

The SSHRC fellowship is 20,000 for either 1, 2, 3 or 4 years. The CGS is 35,000 for 3 years.

Edited by adepaola21
adding information

30 minutes ago, gradgoal said:

would this mean that some of those initially awarded a fellowship may receive a CGS? (sorry if this is a silly question, just clarifying!)

Sometimes that happens, yes. I don't know how often. 

46 minutes ago, gradgoal said:

Congrats on getting an award. The one you are offered is based (mostly) on the score you receive (those who score in the higher range will be offered a CGS. Those who are later in their program can't get a 3 year award, however. 

16 minutes ago, Writeswell said:

Mine's cultural studies also but I chose committee 1 because the project is poetry...I really wasn't too sure, though. That is something that maybe in these interdisciplinary areas we could use a bit more help on. My program put on a good "how to write it" session for students but that wasn't really something that came up. 

Yeah, I think that's a huge oversight that needs to be addressed in the committee structure of SSHRC. Most "social science" approaches to cultural studies can easily fit into the more traditional disciplines like sociology, anthro, etc. But for those of us who mobilize more humanities-based approaches to cultural studies (psychoanalysis, aesthetics, lit/poetry, etc) it can be quite confounding to properly situate our work within any single committee. We need our own inter/transdisciplinary committee! 

I got my results today in Toronto in a booklet-sized gov't standard brown-ish envelope.

I applied to Committee 3 (or, on the application, "7523") and my score of 15.5/20 landed me a CGS.

I'm seeing based on past responses that those in the 13+ range seem to be getting Fellowships and those in the 10+-<13 range are getting wait-listed, so guessing the cut-off between CGS and Fellowships is somewhere around 14 point something?

(Edit after seeing the responses below: And obviously this seems different for different committees, as those in the 15+ range seem to be getting Fellowships in other committees.)

Best luck to those who are still waiting on results!

Edited by caracol

Right, so, got my result in Ottawa. I feel obligated to report back- even though I'm ashamed. Waitlisted :(

Edited by Liv_G

Letters arrived (unexpectedly!) in northern California today -- people in the US should hear tomorrow if they haven't already! (For those interested, it's my second time applying, and I got the fellowship with a score of 15.1 under committee 2).

18 minutes ago, caracol said:

I got my results today in Toronto in a booklet-sized gov't standard brown-ish envelope.

I applied to Committee 3 (or, on the application, "7523") and my score of 15.5/20 landed me a CGS.

I'm seeing based on past responses that those in the 13+ range seem to be getting Fellowships and those in the 10+-<13 range are getting wait-listed, so guessing the cut-off between CGS and Fellowships is somewhere around 14 point something?

Best luck to those who are still waiting!

11 minutes ago, Melian4 said:

Letters arrived (unexpectedly!) in northern California today -- people in the US should hear tomorrow if they haven't already! (For those interested, it's my second time applying, and I got the fellowship with a score of 15.1 under committee 2).

I can't even...why are some of us in Toronto still waiting while NORTHERN CALIFORNIA has received post?  Do we not share a province, Ottawa?  I'm beyond baffled at this warping of space-time.  Happy, though, for everyone who has heard.  

14 minutes ago, CrunchCrunch said:

I can't even...why are some of us in Toronto still waiting while NORTHERN CALIFORNIA has received post?  Do we not share a province, Ottawa?  I'm beyond baffled at this warping of space-time.  Happy, though, for everyone who has heard.  

Just chiming in to say--I got my letter yesterday/Tuesday (at around noon) in Southern California. I don't know what Canada Post is doing. Good luck to everyone still waiting.

Considering the late mailing date and the disparity I'm starting to think that SSHRC may have paid extra to mail the letters by courier for out-of-province and international addresses while relying on Canada Post for in-province. Someone mentioned getting their letter in Montreal way before anyone mentioned Ontario.

5 minutes ago, Oshawott said:

Considering the late mailing date and the disparity I'm starting to think that SSHRC may have paid extra to mail the letters by courier for out-of-province and international addresses while relying on Canada Post for in-province. Someone mentioned getting their letter in Montreal way before anyone mentioned Ontario.

Why wouldn't SSHRC just email everyone and save on operating costs (e.g. paying for Canada post and courier - seriously)? 

Just now, EmpiricalCriminology said:

Why wouldn't SSHRC just email everyone and save on operating costs (e.g. paying for Canada post and courier - seriously)? 

Especially since I'm fairly sure the schools get the results by email and I have to confirm everything by email....yet they won't let me activate the award because we have to "go by the book" and I haven't received the letter by snail mail yet.

2 hours ago, faraway said:

Just chiming in to say--I got my letter yesterday/Tuesday (at around noon) in Southern California. I don't know what Canada Post is doing. Good luck to everyone still waiting.

What... I'm in SoCal too and got nothing yesterday or today.... ugh.

1 hour ago, EmpiricalCriminology said:

I'm starting to think there's some agreement on the federal level to use snail mail in order to infuse Canada Post with SSHRC funds.

Edited by 1Q84

20 hours ago, Briabot said:

No problem! So I changed quite a bit, I had different references, I changed the project completely (I was a first year phD last year), I included more of my non-peer reviewed publications and placed more emphasis on my relevant work experience. The biggest thing though was that I went to my uni's SSHRC writing course (UofT). If your uni has one highly recommend going, the course organizers (who have sat on SSHRC committees) read through my draft and pointed out some of the problems. I really think that is what made the difference this year. 

I did in fact go through my uni's SSHRC course when I was an MA (in Montreal), but am now in the UK so I'm on my own! Thanks for responding, I hope my non peer review items make a bigger splash this year. I also added quite a few conferences. Congratulations again, good luck with your degree work. 

12 hours ago, elodie said:

Hi hive mind, this thread has been really informative! I am an external/independent candidate, firs time doctoral applicant, starting this fall. After still not receiving anything in the mail, I was able to speak with someone today at the university I will be attending (the same and only university I identified on my SSHRC application). They told me that my name isn’t on their list of results, however, they do in fact have the results for other external candidates. This leads me to believe that they may only have the list of external candidates that were successful? Anyone have experience with this? Hoping Canada Post TO comes through tomorrow to put an end to all this anticipation! thx

I'm also a direct applicant, and while I was under the impression there was effectively no way for us to find out via department admins, as I'm living in London (UK) and not expecting the mail to arrive any time soon, maybe I'll give this a try out of sheer desperation.

No SSHRC for me. I'm baffled by the selection process. I wrote a much better application this year, and had more conferences and publications (non peer-reviewed) but my score was even lower than that 11.2 I received last year (from which I was not wait listed). 

I think this is my final year to apply as I'm entering my 'writing up year' at a UK institution and my final submission date is September 2018. Does anyone know if one can apply for the November competition (direct applicant) despite completing their program in 2018? 

Congrats to you all who received an award. 

15 minutes ago, misswan said:

No SSHRC for me. I'm baffled by the selection process. I wrote a much better application this year, and had more conferences and publications (non peer-reviewed) but my score was even lower than that 11.2 I received last year (from which I was not wait listed). 

I think this is my final year to apply as I'm entering my 'writing up year' at a UK institution and my final submission date is September 2018. Does anyone know if one can apply for the November competition (direct applicant) despite completing their program in 2018? 

Congrats to you all who received an award. 

So sorry to hear this...it sucks! 

I don't know whether you can apply again at this point, but I think it would be worth an email to the agency. It goes by the number of months you've been enrolled full time, not the length of time to graduation. 

Question! For those of you saying that you got a bigger brown envelope: was it larger than a standard letter in dimensions? I.e. would it be considered an oversized letter?

1 minute ago, SadieLou said:

Question! For those of you saying that you got a bigger brown envelope: was it larger than a standard letter in dimensions? I.e. would it be considered an oversized letter?

It was larger than a standard letter in dimensions. Not manuscript sized (8.5 x 11) but the medium sized envelope, bigger than a business letter.