SSHRC Doctoral Fellowship/CGS Doctoral Scholarship 2017/2018

SadieLou

12 minutes ago, SadieLou said:

. . . Would anybody say that it's bigger than 5.6" by 3.6"? 

(Sorry!)

The letter is 7 by 10 inches. :) 

9 minutes ago, adepaola21 said:

The letter is 7 by 10 inches. :) 

Thaaaank you, adepaola21!

America-dwellers, Informed Delivery may or may not be helpful, since it only sends scans of machinable letters that do not need to be hand-sorted, which means that a letter of 7" by 10",  if that's what you're gonna get, probably will not be scanned.

If any America-dwellers received standard-sized envelopes, I would be interested to hear.

So a fun bit of math: within Canada, the postage fee on an oversized envelope is $1.80. With 2048 applicants to notify (IIRC) SSHRC is spending over $3600 on postage alone for the notifications. Now the actual total is obvious far higher when you consider that many applicants are located internationally (postage to Georgia, USA is $3.00 and to the UK is $6.00), the letters of those who received fellowships will be thicker and possibly overweight (more $$$), they needed to by the envelopes and paper (and print in COLOUR!), and pay for the labour to stuff and mail all of these.

A bit of back of the envelope math and I get somewhere in the neighbourhood of $4500+labour, all of which could be avoided through the magic of email. It's not enough to fund another fellowship or anything, but as someone on the waitlist I'd be happy to take the money off their hands... 

Ha ha ha ha.

I considered doing that math yesterday, but I decided to cry and sleep at 8:30 instead.

They could also give that money to unsuccessful applicants so they can afford therapy after surviving the results process.

11 minutes ago, QT55 said:

Same. 

-Letterless in London

Ditto for Toronto, or the sad part of Toronto that doesn't get letters, and by that part I mean the centrally located area of the city.  Not bitter at all.  

6 minutes ago, CrunchCrunch said:

Ditto for Toronto, or the sad part of Toronto that doesn't get letters, and by that part I mean the centrally located area of the city.  Not bitter at all.  

Exactly. 

11 hours ago, CrunchCrunch said:

I can't even...why are some of us in Toronto still waiting while NORTHERN CALIFORNIA has received post?  Do we not share a province, Ottawa?  I'm beyond baffled at this warping of space-time.  Happy, though, for everyone who has heard.  

Are you still waiting? As of now (10:46 am, Thursday May 4th) I have not yet received my results in downtown Toronto. This waiting is killing me :(

2 minutes ago, SSHRC 2017 said:

Are you still waiting? As of now (10:46 am, Thursday May 4th) I have not yet received my results in downtown Toronto. This waiting is killing me :(

Oh yes. Mail will arrive around noon-ish; will report back but might shake my fist at mailperson if no envelope big, medium or small manifest in my mailbox.  Honestly, a vial of skunk stink would suffice to communicate "you suck".  Just tell me already. 

1 hour ago, CrunchCrunch said:

Oh yes. Mail will arrive around noon-ish; will report back but might shake my fist at mailperson if no envelope big, medium or small manifest in my mailbox.  Honestly, a vial of skunk stink would suffice to communicate "you suck".  Just tell me already. 

:)) poor mailperson :)) Let's see.. Best wishes for you and those who are still waiting.

BTW., if you don't mind, which area are you living? I'm in Downtown Toronto (UofT Campus).

Mail came! I got a doctoral fellowship, score 13.4/20.

the wait is over. Thank goodness.

thanks for the great company everyone, best of luck to those that are still waiting and congrats to those who were successful.  For those who were not, I will reiterate it's a crapshoot.  This was my 3rd year applying.  

1 hour ago, CrunchCrunch said:

Mail came! I got a doctoral fellowship, score 13.4/20.

the wait is over. Thank goodness.

thanks for the great company everyone, best of luck to those that are still waiting and congrats to those who were successful.  For those who were not, I will reiterate it's a crapshoot.  This was my 3rd year applying.  

Wow, congrats... I should still wait :(

Letter received in west Toronto today. Given the mail delays, it will be especially irksome that the procedure to accept the award is merely to "email SSHRC". I kind of expected a huge volume of paperwork, etc. 

I lucked out and was awarded a CGS. I'm elated, but I do know its a crapshoot. I must have just made it over the CGS line with a 14.4 at Committee 2.

I'm so confused. I checked the mail, and there was one piece: it was Netflix junkmail. But my Informed Delivery inbox said that three pieces of mail, none of which were this Netflix piece, were slated to be delivered today. Could it be that junk mail is somehow delivered separately? Grr.

2 hours ago, SSHRC 2017 said:

:)) poor mailperson :)) Let's see.. Best wishes for you and those who are still waiting.

BTW., if you don't mind, which area are you living? I'm in Downtown Toronto (UofT Campus).

Midtown.  

I finally got my letter so I'll update on the score for people waiting/wondering what the cut-offs might be:

• Award: SSHRC Doctoral Fellowship ($80,000 over 4 years)
  • Score: 13.4 / 20
  • Committee 4: Education, linguistics, psychology, social work

Also for people wondering: Deadline to accept is May 23 for people on the wait list wondering how long the wait might be.

Edited by Oshawott

2 hours ago, SadieLou said:

I'm so confused. I checked the mail, and there was one piece: it was Netflix junkmail. But my Informed Delivery inbox said that three pieces of mail, none of which were this Netflix piece, were slated to be delivered today. Could it be that junk mail is somehow delivered separately? Grr.

Hmm I just got my informed delivery email too and only two machinable letters. That said I haven't received it physically yet so will have to see if I just end up getting junkmail too!

When I went back, I looked closer: it's actually a DVD.com rental, so not junkmail at all. DVD.com ships first class. Maybe . . . maybe first class sometimes is delivered separately from the rest of the mail? Sometimes?