SSHRC Doctoral Fellowship/CGS Doctoral Scholarship 2017/2018

SadieLou

5 minutes ago, riverrr said:

I cannot believe that someone in the UK received their SSHRC letter while I, in Toronto, have not. 

Is it possible that the mail may have been lost? Did anyone else from Toronto get their's yet? That is pretty ridiculous!

3 minutes ago, SadieLou said:

It's been five business days out of an estimated 4-6 business days for standard Canada to U.S. letterpost, so I doubt they've expedited anything international, either.

I send letter mails to Ottawa from the US for student aid stuff and it doesn't even take 4 business days normally.

1 minute ago, rugox said:

Is it possible that the mail may have been lost? Did anyone else from Toronto get their's yet? That is pretty ridiculous!

Some Torontonians have received their letter, others have not.

Just now, rugox said:

Some from Etobicoke appears to have. But not hearing anyone from North York (me) or downtown.

While I heard from York that I am waitlisted, my attempt at getting more information from SSHRC directly has been unsuccessful with SSHRC saying 'wait for your package, before coming to us'.

5 hours ago, Tyler Michaels-Matthews said:

I got a letter today.  I got the doctoral fellowship, the letter says.  Much rejoicing.

But it's confusing as hell.  I have three questions about what I have do to accept it.  If any of you can help, I appreciate it.

1. So to get the award, do you have to send an email to accept the award?  

2. Regarding the "direct deposit form", they ask you to return it by snail mail.  What?  Don't they need all this stuff quickly?  Is there a deadline?

3. Regarding "the Request for Instalment and reinstatement of Award form", we see a Request for First instalment box.  And then it has a start of award line where you fill in the blank.  It's passed May 1st as of today.  Can you still request the start of the award to be May 1st?  This is so confusing.  If they mailed out notifications on April 28, how can anyone get it for May 1st?  What are all of you doing with this issue?

Thanks and good luck to those still waiting! 

PS I'm overseas (not in Canada) so it's more complicated obviously and longer wait times, different systems etc.

1. Yes, email them to accept the award. They will tell you also to inform your institution, although I don't know if you need to in the UK. 

2. I am not sure. I think there is also a "send by scan" option if you look in the award-holders handbook (they link to it). So perhaps we can do that way. 

3. I am unclear on this also. :unsure:

1 hour ago, Writeswell said:

1. Yes, email them to accept the award. They will tell you also to inform your institution, although I don't know if you need to in the UK. 

2. I am not sure. I think there is also a "send by scan" option if you look in the award-holders handbook (they link to it). So perhaps we can do that way. 

3. I am unclear on this also. :unsure:

3. I am pretty sure we still qualify for the May 1st installment, we'll obviously just have a delay getting funds. 

Hey everyone,

I am quite confused as well with the confirmation of acceptance as well. I did not receive a direct deposit form. I received a paper with the award amount, a bunch of links (conditions to the awards), and a document about the selection process. Can this be found online? I applied directly through my university if that changes things?

Thanks!

6 hours ago, solala said:

Just popping back into the thread this year (I was on this forum over the two previous years, and I understand how difficult the waiting can be!)

I'm checking for a friend who was wait-listed this year, receiving a score of 11.9 from committee 4 (Education, linguistics, psychology, social work). We are trying to find out if she still has a chance of getting the fellowship. Can others from committee 4 let us know their scores and grant status? (So far I've just seen one post from a committee-4 fellowship recipient with a 13.4).

Also, a quick note of encouragement for those who were wait-listed or rejected. I was rejected with an 8 my first year applying as a direct applicant. Last year (1st year of PhD) I was offered a fellowship, which was upgraded to a CGS a few months later. So a lot can change even within a few months. I think what made the difference for me last year was having a strong reference letter from my current supervisor, going through 8 detailed drafts  of the proposal with several profs, and also emphasizing my non-academic work experience. Hang in there and keep trying everyone! 

I got a CGS with a score of 17 from committee 4. Others in my department who were on the same committee got 9 (rejected), 11 and 12.3 (waitlisted) and 13.5 (fellowship). Hope this helps!

2 minutes ago, lhommependu said:

The big brown envelope showed up in Vancouver today. 17.15/20 after 2 years of not even making it out of my department.

Congrats!!!

I got nothing but a big fat Restoration Hardware catalogue in mail-check #1 of the day :wacko:

I think somebody asked this earlier: I did email my supervisor from my last (Canadian) institution asking very innocently if SSHRC might have given them my results, and he was like, "Nope. Sorry!" So, that route seems to be out.

2 hours ago, rugox said:

Did not get the snail mail in Toronto either, but emailed my department and got their *unofficial* reply that I got the award. So maybe contact your program administrator if you don't want to wait any more.  

51 minutes ago, genderboi said:

3. I am pretty sure we still qualify for the May 1st installment, we'll obviously just have a delay getting funds. 

at this point i wonder if i should just email sshrc and be like "i accept the award" just to troll them into telling me anything (I haven't received the letter yet lol)

Just now, spicytunaroll said:

at this point i wonder if i should just email sshrc and be like "i accept the award" just to troll them into telling me anything (I haven't received the letter yet lol)

That would result in either the best ever response or the worst ever response. I guess . . . if you like high stakes . . . not a half-bad idea.

1 minute ago, spicytunaroll said:

Well, SSHRC I feel would likely have given me the info had I just told them: yes, I had received the package and just needed further clarification ... but I didn't want to jinx it or piss someone off I needed help from later on.

I emailed SSHRC about my place on the waiting list. Please see reply below. I have 21 people ahead of me.... That doesn't bode well, does it?  Either way, I'm a bit confused re: the difference between the scores I was given by the two adjudicators -- I mean, if the second adjudicator had ranked me a little bit higher, it might have made a significant difference:

Committee 1A

Scores (2 members): 7.6 and 4.5 (out of ten)
Total Score: 12.1/20
Success rate and rank necessary to be offered award in the National competition: 
      42.1 % Success rate 
    Rank necessary to be offered award:  74/176 
    The top 74 applications in Committee 1A where offered a Doctoral Award
Your Rank: your application ranked: 95/176

10 minutes ago, turkergirl said:

I emailed SSHRC about my place on the waiting list.

Thanks so much for providing this info. And WOW, what a discrepancy between reviewers! Argh.

Out of curiosity, how long did it take SSHRC to respond to your questions?

Edited by violabec

2 hours ago, adepaola21 said:

Hey everyone,

I am quite confused as well with the confirmation of acceptance as well. I did not receive a direct deposit form. I received a paper with the award amount, a bunch of links (conditions to the awards), and a document about the selection process. Can this be found online? I applied directly through my university if that changes things?

Thanks!

Usually the university will deposit the funds, just as they would deposit any other graduate funding. I was sent an email saying that I had to: -send an email (to SSHRC) including the 'Request for Instalment' form. In order to complete this form, you have to get your supervisor(s) signatures and a signature from the 'authorized institutional official', which in my case is the 'financial support and scholarship liaison officer'. Oh, and for the funds to be deposited, I had to accept the award through my student account. 

Edited by QT55

Just got my letter in Toronto today - 

Bombardier CGS Scholarship

14.65 / 20 - entering first year PhD at U of Toronto in the fall 

Committee 1 (Fine arts)

So excited!

Edited by boho

28 minutes ago, QT55 said:

Usually the university will deposit the funds, just as they would deposit any other graduate funding. I was sent an email saying that I had to: -send an email (to SSHRC) including the 'Request for Instalment' form. In order to complete this form, you have to get your supervisor(s) signatures and a signature from the 'authorized institutional official', which in my case is the 'financial support and scholarship liaison officer'. Oh, and for the funds to be deposited, I had to accept the award through my student account. 

Thanks boho! This was very helpful.

Can the 'Request for Instalment' be found on their website or from the uni where I got the award? I haven't received this either?