SSHRC Doctoral Fellowship/CGS Doctoral Scholarship 2017/2018

SadieLou

1 hour ago, Brillantine11 said:

Which "initial" letter are you talking about ? The one that states you're forwarded to the national competition ? The results will be announced by the end of April, that's when we should know about our scores.

Hi Brillantine11,

Yes, I meant the letter that informs an applicant that they've been forwarded. So, to confirm, we won't know our scores until the final results are announced in April?

21 minutes ago, texpatriate85 said:

Hi Brillantine11,

Yes, I meant the letter that informs an applicant that they've been forwarded. So, to confirm, we won't know our scores until the final results are announced in April?

Exactly! :) 

So, we're getting close to April. I'm wondering if our results will be delayed as it seems as though the Post Doc ones were this year. I know, different competitions... 

That being said ... as it takes so bloody long from submission to results I feel oddly disconnected from the whole thing!

3 hours ago, violabec said:

So, we're getting close to April. I'm wondering if our results will be delayed as it seems as though the Post Doc ones were this year. I know, different competitions... 

That being said ... as it takes so bloody long from submission to results I feel oddly disconnected from the whole thing!

how were the post doc ones released this year?

1 minute ago, Oshawott said:

So NSERC applicants have been hearing back at my school. I'm just wondering if SSHRC will take longer because they do it by mail (not sure if NSERC does to or if its online)

NSERC sent results by email.

8 minutes ago, MathCat said:

NSERC sent results by email.

Honestly, I didn't think that the social sciences were so underfunded that SSHRC can't afford email

Joking aside, I do wonder why SSHRC is so far behind the times with regards to electronic applications.

Unfortunately, I think we have awhile to wait awhile. I know a prof on one of the committees who just finished reviewing applications last week. 

15 hours ago, Oshawott said:

Honestly, I didn't think that the social sciences were so underfunded that SSHRC can't afford email

Joking aside, I do wonder why SSHRC is so far behind the times with regards to electronic applications.

I also wonder that, but to be fair, this is the first year that NSERC has emailed the PGS-D results. 

1 hour ago, MathCat said:

I also wonder that, but to be fair, this is the first year that NSERC has emailed the PGS-D results. 

Did they say they would only be mailed though? SSHRC still has that on their page. 

47 minutes ago, genderboi said:

Did they say they would only be mailed though? SSHRC still has that on their page. 

As of today, NSERC's website still says this about notification:

"NSERC notifies applicants whose applications were submitted to NSERC of the results by mail by March 31. NSERC will not provide results by telephone or email."

But this year they emailed us the results so....

FYI Last year my university had the results well before they mail was delivered (can't remember exactly when, sometime early April) so I guess you *could* ask the dept that oversees sshrc apps at your school, if they're willing to disclose the results when they receive them

Hey everyone,

I thought I would add into this board to see when others start hearing back.  From previous boards it would seem the week of April 22nd was when people started to get letters.  I received the letter from my university that I was forwarded in early January,  can't wait to hear back from SSHRC.

14 hours ago, DanielaM said:

FYI Last year my university had the results well before they mail was delivered (can't remember exactly when, sometime early April) so I guess you *could* ask the dept that oversees sshrc apps at your school, if they're willing to disclose the results when they receive them

That's what my advisor told me as well - that some people at school probably already know the results and I *could* ask. But I feel like it's inappropriate to ask...? (I know some people would feel comfortable asking about those kind of things but I feel like I'm supposed to wait for the results like everyone else). I'll try to hang on for a couple more weeks, maybe I'll change my mind about asking.

I have a question regarding your scholarships (I am a master's student) out of curiosity. When you are at the doctoral level, do you make your application yourself or do you get chosen by your school to submit an application? 

1 hour ago, Adelaide9216 said:

I have a question regarding your scholarships (I am a master's student) out of curiosity. When you are at the doctoral level, do you make your application yourself or do you get chosen by your school to submit an application? 

Anyone can apply. You submit your application to your school/department (then they decide which applications are sent to the national competition) or directly to SSHRC (for those who can't apply through a school).

On 4/3/2017 at 9:36 AM, apoc19 said:

Emailed SSHRC -- results won't be sent till mid to end April :(

Thanks for doing that and letting us know! I had it marked in my calendar as April 1 since the letter said we'll be informed April 2017... so naive.

My guess is that it's going to be at least another 2 weeks before we know. :unsure:

Also, at least at my Uni, the students will know before the department. (At least, this what I've been told--and what happened last year.)