Fall 2017 PhD Application

bachelorette

Soooo seems kinda quiet around here with the fall 2017 PhD application to Linguistics. Is no one applying this year?? Tell me now so I can apply to Harvard lololol just kiddinggggg.

But seriously - anyone submit any applications yet?? How's it going...???

16 minutes ago, Kristin said:

Soooo seems kinda quiet around here with the fall 2017 PhD application to Linguistics. Is no one applying this year?? Tell me now so I can apply to Harvard lololol just kiddinggggg.

But seriously - anyone submit any applications yet?? How's it going...???

It does seem a bit quiet in here, but maybe try posting in the already existing (albeit dead) 2017 thread to get more responses? Anyways I'm happy to help with any questions you might have (I applied last year). 

Thanks so much for the offer of help, @vonham ! Just curious how it's going for people, where they're applying, if/when they hear back, etc. So it might be a little early for that. I started on my applications over the summer, however, already submitted one, and the others are pretty much ready to go, awaiting a few minor tweaks. From what I see, most applications are due starting the beginning of December, so still time for people to report. :)

On 11/3/2016 at 11:48 AM, vonham said:

It does seem a bit quiet in here, but maybe try posting in the already existing (albeit dead) 2017 thread to get more responses? Anyways I'm happy to help with any questions you might have (I applied last year). 

Did any of your programs require interviews as part of the admissions process?

4 hours ago, Kristin said:

Two of my programs required phone/skype interviews. None of my programs required in person interviews prior to being accepted, but the program I'm in now did have a recruitment weekend for accepted students, that I went to. 

6 hours ago, Kristin said:

It's common for linguistics departments to do post-acceptance Open House events to try and recruit students. Some programs do interviews, or they might want to talk to some students if they aren't sure about something to do with their application even if they don't have official interviews. Most of those will be Skype/phone interviews, just because of the funding and logistics involved. I think I had two phone interviews and I had an invitation to an on-campus (pre-acceptance) interview that I declined. I'm not sure if those schools still do things in the same way, which is why I'm not posting names. But yes, it happens sometimes, though often enough you'll submit your application and then just hear back a yes or no without any communication inbetween. 

Hi! It's nice to meet guys applying for a linguistic PhD! I am towards the end of submitting my application. Well, what I want to do is experimental phonetics and psycholinguistics.

Edited by Lukebw

On 11/10/2016 at 3:48 PM, Lukebw said:

Hi! It's nice to meet guys applying for a linguistic PhD! I am towards the end of submitting my application. Well, what I want to do is experimental phonetics and psycholinguistics.

Welcome! I agree, it's great to collaborate. Just FYI I am not a guy - I am a woman.

What schools are you looking into?

4 hours ago, Kristin said:

Welcome! I agree, it's great to collaborate. Just FYI I am not a guy - I am a woman.

What schools are you looking into?

@Kristin  Oh, sorry. No offence. I just used "guy" in a gender neutral way. 

I am now applying for the PhD programs in Ohio State University, Cornell and the University of Kansas. There are some other universities but I am still procrastinating my decisions...

Some of the programs are really competitive. Well, I am not quite sure how far I can go. 

So I guess you are interested in syntax and semantics as you want to go to Harvard?

Edited by Lukebw

On 11/13/2016 at 6:17 PM, Lukebw said:

@Kristin  Oh, sorry. No offence. I just used "guy" in a gender neutral way. 

I am now applying for the PhD programs in Ohio State University, Cornell and the University of Kansas. There are some other universities but I am still procrastinating my decisions...

Some of the programs are really competitive. Well, I am not quite sure how far I can go. 

So I guess you are interested in syntax and semantics as you want to go to Harvard?

Oh I was just kidding about Harvard since it seemed like no one was applying anywhere, that I might get in everywhere. I am looking more into language documentation and contact, change, variation etc. When are your applications due? Have you started working on them yet?

On 11/16/2016 at 7:02 AM, bachelorette said:

Oh I was just kidding about Harvard since it seemed like no one was applying anywhere, that I might get in everywhere. I am looking more into language documentation and contact, change, variation etc. When are your applications due? Have you started working on them yet?

I am now busy working on application forms and personal statements. I realized that most programs I am applying for are due in December……

It seems that I have started too late. It's excruciating. 

Wish you good luck!

• 4 weeks later...

@bachelorette thanks for reviving the fall 2017 phd thread! i had been hoping to hear from others in the process of applying as well. all 5 of my applications are in, with one outstanding LOR that needs to be submitted. and i'm also interested in language contact and variation! what programs did you apply to? for linguistics i applied to georgetown (sociolinguistics) and stanford, as well as second language education at university of minnesota (they have a language policy focus that i'm interested in). i also applied to the joint phd programs in social policy at harvard and princeton, so we'll see!!!

Edited by songofgallifrey

Hi, I've been lurking around for quite some time now, but never posted anything haha

@songofgallifrey I also applied to Georgetown and Stanford (both in Sociolinguistics). In addition, I applied to the University of Michigan (Sociolinguistics), and UC Santa Barbara and CU-Boulder (Sociocultural Linguistics). Wish y'all good luck!

5 hours ago, songofgallifrey said:

@pandalove I'm glad to [virtually] meet someone else applying to Georgetown and Stanford for sociolinguistics! Good luck!! Looking at the Results page, it seems like we should hear from both of them by early March, but that seems so far away :(

I also applied to Stanford and Georgetown! Socio seems to be popular. I was rejected from Stanford last year so I decided to re-apply. I was admitted to Georgetown but without funding, so I deferred my admission and am being reconsidered for funding along with this year's applicant pool. 

@2017 good luck!! I've seen a lot of Georgetown admits on the results page without funding in previous cycles, so I'm worried that will happen with me as well. This is my first year applying to PhD programs and I'm not sure what my chances are.

Edited by songofgallifrey

On 12/16/2016 at 9:18 AM, songofgallifrey said:

@2017 good luck!! I've seen a lot of Georgetown admits on the results page without funding in previous cycles, so I'm worried that will happen with me as well. This is my first year applying to PhD programs and I'm not sure what my chances are.

good luck to you as well! 

Anyone applying to the the Second Language Studies program at University of Hawaii at manoa?

I am applying for SLS phD program this year and a bit freaked out after reading a few "reject" posts from past years saying the program is VERY competitive considering they had 10 plus years of research and/or teaching experience and still got a rejection after a couple of interviews with the admission committee.

I have not officially applied yet (did not pay the application fee) and still working on my SOP, but I am nervous about the result already. Anyone who feels the same?

On 12/16/2016 at 6:18 AM, songofgallifrey said:

Yep, Georgetown is great for socio, but no guaranteed funding, which is such a shame!