Fall 2017 PhD Application

bachelorette

49 minutes ago, Lukebw said:

It seemed that my POIs did expect me to have a specific project and they kept asking for more details about that project. I spent half an hour explaining just one research project, so I didn't get a chance to talk about my interests and experience. That interview took place two days after Christmas and I haven't heard back since. 

oh that's interesting. Do you mind telling me what program that was for?

7 minutes ago, 2017 said:

oh that's interesting. Do you mind telling me what program that was for?

It is Brown University. The department is now sending offers to psychology and cogsci applicants but not yet to linguistics applicants. That makes me even more anxious.  

12 minutes ago, Lukebw said:

It is Brown University. The department is now sending offers to psychology and cogsci applicants but not yet to linguistics applicants. That makes me even more anxious.  

hopefully you will hear soon!

4 hours ago, Dwr said:

No email from UC Berkeley, but no decision on the page either. Still, I suppose this means rejected?

You could try emailing someone in the department and asking if all interview requests have been sent out. I did this twice, and the professors seemed open to explaining the current situation. 

17 hours ago, Dwr said:

No email from UC Berkeley, but no decision on the page either. Still, I suppose this means rejected?

Same for me - I haven't gotten an email about interviews. I just emailed the department and I'll let you know if they respond!

Also wondering about UCSD open house invites, given that I see one of them on the results page, does any one know if all of them have been sent out?

59 minutes ago, talkativet said:

Same for me - I haven't gotten an email about interviews. I just emailed the department and I'll let you know if they respond!

Also wondering about UCSD open house invites, given that I see one of them on the results page, does any one know if all of them have been sent out?

Thank you! I have emailed them as well, let us see what they will say. 

11 minutes ago, 2017 said:

Does anybody know how many people generally get invited for interviews and what percent are ultimately accepted?

I asked that question during my interview and my POI said about 80% of the interviewees will be accepted. But, I think it will depend on schools :) 

18 minutes ago, 2017 said:

Does anybody know how many people generally get invited for interviews and what percent are ultimately accepted?

I can't give you numbers, but I can tell you that linguistics programs aren't the richest, so if they're going to fly you out for an interview, chances are pretty good you'll get accepted. If it's a Skype interview it's harder to tell, but still keep in mind that these interviews take time out of everyone's day and they wouldn't talk to you if they weren't actually interested in accepting you. That said, I don't think anyone can give you odds; it probably varies to some degree by school. 

26 minutes ago, 2017 said:

This percentage may vary by departments. When I was interviewed, I was told that the percentage was about 50%. As I haven't heard back from them three weeks after the interview, I reckon that I do not belong to that fifty percent of applicants.  

18 minutes ago, fuzzylogician said:

I can't give you numbers, but I can tell you that linguistics programs aren't the richest, so if they're going to fly you out for an interview, chances are pretty good you'll get accepted. If it's a Skype interview it's harder to tell, but still keep in mind that these interviews take time out of everyone's day and they wouldn't talk to you if they weren't actually interested in accepting you. That said, I don't think anyone can give you odds; it probably varies to some degree by school. 

9 minutes ago, Lukebw said:

This percentage may vary by departments. When I was interviewed, I was told that the percentage was about 50%. As I haven't heard back from them three weeks after the interview, I reckon that I do not belong to that fifty percent of applicants.  

23 minutes ago, phonetician1368 said:

I asked that question during my interview and my POI said about 80% of the interviewees will be accepted. But, I think it will depend on schools :) 

thanks everyone!!

21 hours ago, 2017 said:

thanks everyone!!

So I got an rejection after the interview, though I thought that interview went well. If you haven't heard back a long time after the interview, it's probably not good news. 

Guest socionerd

As everyone said, the number will vary by programs. During my interview, I was told that the percentage was about 80%. 

Good luck on your interview!

Edited by socionerd

5 hours ago, Lukebw said:

So I got an rejection after the interview, though I thought that interview went well. If you haven't heard back a long time after the interview, it's probably not good news. 

Sorry to hear that :( 

4 hours ago, socionerd said:

As everyone said, the number will vary by programs. During my interview, I was told that the percentage was about 80%. 

Good luck on your interview!

thanks! do you mind telling me what school that was?

1 hour ago, zihei said:

Well, UC Berkeley said during my interview that they'd send out decisions by mid-February. I'm nervous, I haven't heard from any other school.

Is it alright to ask whom you want to work with there? 

On 1/20/2017 at 10:06 PM, Dwr said:

I have got an email from McGill. Any tips for handling the interview? 

Congrats! Actually, if you search the forum or the previous posts of this thread, you can find many helpful tips for handling the interview.  

Wish you good luck!

12 hours ago, Lukebw said:

Congrats! Actually, if you search the forum or the previous posts of this thread, you can find many helpful tips for handling the interview.  

Wish you good luck!

Thank you! I was thinking of McGill-specific advice, but anyway I will just do what I can.

8 hours ago, Dwr said:

Thank you! I was thinking of McGill-specific advice, but anyway I will just do what I can.

I have an interview with McGill in about 15 minutes. I'll let you know how it goes!