Social Psychology Fall 2017 Applicants

MyDogHasAPhD

9 hours ago, ForeverJung said:

If it makes any of you feel better, the Kansas basketball team ended their 18 game win streak today. 

You know what, it totally does!

48 minutes ago, MyDogHasAPhD said:

Rejected from Albany. Seems as if they sent out acceptances already. POI emailed me following my inquiry. This one stings.. bad. It was a top choice for me. The curse of the GRE strikes again.

Standardized testing as a make or break is garbage. 

Sending positive thoughts your way ♡

I don't think I have heard anyone mention the University of North Dakota anywhere, but in case anyone has applied there (it is one of my backups) I have heard that they are beginning to make decisions. Which leads me to believe that they will be getting in touch within a week or two. I know it's not a great program in terms of rank, but the research they have going on there is great and I would be excited to hear from them just to know I may have more options. Still crossing my fingers for good news from KU and to be invited to Portland's Visitor's Day though...

Anyone else having a hard time relaxing right about now? :unsure:

I'm seriously surprised at how well hearing news, any news, has been keeping me grounded throughout this process. 

3 minutes ago, What'sMyName said:

I don't think I have heard anyone mention the University of North Dakota anywhere, but in case anyone has applied there (it is one of my backups) I have heard that they are beginning to make decisions. Which leads me to believe that they will be getting in touch within a week or two. I know it's not a great program in terms of rank, but the research they have going on there is great and I would be excited to hear from them just to know I may have more options. Still crossing my fingers for good news from KU and to be invited to Portland's Visitor's Day though...

Anyone else having a hard time relaxing right about now? :unsure:

I'm seriously surprised at how well hearing news, any news, has been keeping me grounded throughout this process. 

This forum is saving me. Being able to "plan" or "strategize" in some perceived way is invaluable

Honestly it also helps as an outlet to talk about it, because I don't want to talk my friends and coworkers to death!

3 minutes ago, marsbars said:

This forum is saving me. Being able to "plan" or "strategize" in some perceived way is invaluable

Honestly it also helps as an outlet to talk about it, because I don't want to talk my friends and coworkers to death!

That's my problem. I keep trying to not over-talk it. For one, I would hate to talk endlessly and then get rejected and have to tell everyone. And two, I like being able to be distracted by my SO and family.

What I'm finding I like the most is that I can gauge where everything is, and that helps me relax. Knowing that others haven't heard from certain programs keeps me from pulling out my own hair with frustration.

Glad to have found others who also need to talk about it! 

1 hour ago, What'sMyName said:

That's my problem. I keep trying to not over-talk it. For one, I would hate to talk endlessly and then get rejected and have to tell everyone. And two, I like being able to be distracted by my SO and family.

What I'm finding I like the most is that I can gauge where everything is, and that helps me relax. Knowing that others haven't heard from certain programs keeps me from pulling out my own hair with frustration.

Glad to have found others who also need to talk about it! 

If I don't get responses soon im going to lose it . I'm already talking myself out of writing e-mail inquiries! 

It is awesome to have the community ! 

4 hours ago, MyDogHasAPhD said:

Rejected from Albany. Seems as if they sent out acceptances already. POI emailed me following my inquiry. This one stings.. bad. It was a top choice for me. The curse of the GRE strikes again.

Ugh, so sorry to hear! Hopefully the next news will be good news...

4 hours ago, marsbars said:

Standardized testing as a make or break is garbage. 

Sending positive thoughts your way ♡

So frustrating. But I have somehow ended up snagging a few interviews with my mediocre GRE scores so hopefully not all departments place such emphasis on them. It really is so unfortunate.

37 minutes ago, MyDogHasAPhD said:

So frustrating. But I have somehow ended up snagging a few interviews with my mediocre GRE scores so hopefully not all departments place such emphasis on them. It really is so unfortunate.

It is incredibly unfortunate that some schools view the GRE as a make-or-break metric. It has been demonstrated time and time again that the GRE has limited forecasting ability in the realm of grad school success-- in fact, a recent study found that the GRE was not associated with student productivity (http://www.sciencemag.org/careers/2017/01/student-performance-measures-don-t-perform). I'm so sorry to hear that Albany would decline a qualified applicant on the basis of just one (somewhat dubious) measure :(.

I have been zen and then panicked and then back to zen again....in a matter of one day. I have heard nothing yet. It's my first time applying, is silence good or bad???

Considering some of you have heard back from UCI and UofT, I guess my chances are pretty low for them :( i'm okay with that, I think. It would just be nice to know that you're rejected or wait listed or accepted rather than be in purgatory. In terms of coping, I think I've just set the bar low and have come to accept that I won't get in anywhere that way if I do get in somewhere its a pleasant surprise. Haha, probably not the best coping method, but hey, it works. 

I guess my application wasn't that strong to garner any interviews as of yet...fingers crossed for some news soon. And I completely agree, the GRE make-or-break metric is a sham and is downright embarrassing. Don't we all value the dynamic nature of intelligence and the variability in student potential yet? How much longer will these tests be chained to application procedures? Unfortunate is the right word!

9 hours ago, thirdfromthesun said:

It is incredibly unfortunate that some schools view the GRE as a make-or-break metric. It has been demonstrated time and time again that the GRE has limited forecasting ability in the realm of grad school success-- in fact, a recent study found that the GRE was not associated with student productivity (http://www.sciencemag.org/careers/2017/01/student-performance-measures-don-t-perform). I'm so sorry to hear that Albany would decline a qualified applicant on the basis of just one (somewhat dubious) measure :(.

It is incredibly disheartening. I will be coming in with a Masters, multiple pubs, and other CV "tokens" that clearly demonstrate my abilities beyond a test score. Luckily I still have some other great options floating around but this one was a top. Especially because I was wait listed before the masters degree and was told to reapply if I went ahead and got my Masters! Well... 

7 hours ago, socialbrouhaha said:

I have been zen and then panicked and then back to zen again....in a matter of one day. I have heard nothing yet. It's my first time applying, is silence good or bad???

Considering some of you have heard back from UCI and UofT, I guess my chances are pretty low for them :( i'm okay with that, I think. It would just be nice to know that you're rejected or wait listed or accepted rather than be in purgatory. In terms of coping, I think I've just set the bar low and have come to accept that I won't get in anywhere that way if I do get in somewhere its a pleasant surprise. Haha, probably not the best coping method, but hey, it works. 

I guess my application wasn't that strong to garner any interviews as of yet...fingers crossed for some news soon. And I completely agree, the GRE make-or-break metric is a sham and is downright embarrassing. Don't we all value the dynamic nature of intelligence and the variability in student potential yet? How much longer will these tests be chained to application procedures? Unfortunate is the right word!

I couldn't agree here more. I feel like the GRE is keeping incredibly qualified applicants out of top programs. If it was a test that showed reliable predictors of success in graduate school or at least had some correlation with attrition rates, I could give it some merit. But the stats show it is only predictive of first year graduate school success. 

So much of making it through programs has to do with tenacity plus all the other "intelligent" people qualities. The GRE simply cannot measure that and while these program say "Oh we look at applicants holistically", clearly many are not. Many are using the GRE score as a cut off for funding and a way to do immediate mass eliminations. 

Such a scam.

Also silence isnt always a bad thing. Sometimes it can mean you didn't make the initial round of interviews and when they hold their interviews, someone may not click well so they go back to the drawing board. This is my second time through this process. The silence can make you crazy, absolutely. I don't know if I have it in me to do this a third time. Props to those who have. 

Edited by MyDogHasAPhD

Hey folks, in comparison to having a publication, does having a senior honors thesis make a bigger "impact" on the CV? I have heard mixed thoughts and was curious to what you all have heard. 

Have a good feeling for good news today :)

20 hours ago, PennyIsAHockeyFan said:

Anyone heard back from Simon Fraser? Do they do recruitment/interview weekends?

I'm an international applicant and I had a fun interview with my POI a month ago (Dec 27, if I remember correctly). We talked about the overlap in our research interests, possible studies, structure of the program, funding, etc. I was told I'd hear back from the department, either way, towards the end of January - no word yet. So I'm assuming there's no visitation weekend. I don't know if the process is different for students applying from within North America.

Anyway, best of luck! :)

Heard that my POI at Harvard isn't accepting any students this year. Oh well, it happens. Tried to make contact with him in September before throwing my hat in the ring and sending off my app, but received no response. Oh well - it happens. I also mentioned I'd like to work with someone else as well on my app, but I'll just go ahead and strike Harvard off my list now. So many variables at play in one admission cycle! Haha!

Edited by Thunderdog
Adding more detail