Social Psychology Fall 2017 Applicants

MyDogHasAPhD

2 hours ago, ForeverJung said:

Hey folks, in comparison to having a publication, does having a senior honors thesis make a bigger "impact" on the CV? I have heard mixed thoughts and was curious to what you all have heard. 

Have a good feeling for good news today :)

I think any research experience would only enhance your CV! Your senior honors thesis demonstrates that you are capable of formulating and implementing your own study ideas-- a requisite quality of those interested in pursuing a social psych PhD ;). Sounds like an awesome research experience... and I also hope that we all hear good news today!

Hello guys,
Its really nice to meet you all, and its reassuring to know that you are not alone. I applied for 9 Programs, of which 7 are in the US. Funny thing is they issued a Visa restriction on Iran yesterday, so Im not sure I would be able to enter the country even if I get an offer! 
I have only got one rejection from U of Michigan... which to me had an "It's not you... its me" kind of undertone  :-P
Haven't heard anything else from the other schools... Pfffff

Edited by psycho.logical

1 hour ago, psycho.logical said:

Hello guys,
Its really nice to meet you all, and its reassuring to know that you are not alone. I applied for 9 Programs, of which 7 are in the US. Funny thing is they issued a Visa restriction on Iran yesterday, so Im not sure I would be able to enter the country even if I get an offer! 
I have only got one rejection from U of Michigan... which to me had an "It's not you... its me" kind of undertone  :-P

Ugh, that Visa ban...

Aside from that, good vibes coming your way to start hearing more news (hopefully good news). Every day I play the waiting game is one more day closer to insanity. 

Glad to have you join the board though! It certainly helps to talk and support each other. Welcome!

34 minutes ago, What'sMyName said:

Ugh, that Visa ban...

Aside from that, good vibes coming your way to start hearing more news (hopefully good news). Every day I play the waiting game is one more day closer to insanity. 

Glad to have you join the board though! It certainly helps to talk and support each other. Welcome!

I can totally relate to you going insane over the long wait. Sometimes I just want to hear from someone, even if its a rejection. Negative attention is better than no attention lol

3 hours ago, psycho.logical said:

Hello guys,

Someone could correct me if I am wrong, but in the event that you are accepted into a graduate program you could defer enrollment until the Fall of 2018. Perhaps by then the Visa ban would no longer be in place?

3 hours ago, ForeverJung said:

Someone could correct me if I am wrong, but in the event that you are accepted into a graduate program you could defer enrollment until the Fall of 2018. Perhaps by then the Visa ban would no longer be in place?

Some schools do not allow students to defer enrollment. Though I am sure that in a case like this one with the Visa ban, they would look upon it more favorably as it is completely out of the student's control. 

I'm sorry about this happening to you, @psycho.logical:( The US is a scary place for people of color right now. Do know I stand with you.

Side note - as a student, I'm also terrified that federal funding towards organizations like NSF will be suspended (essentially continuing to spread from the NEA, NEH, and EPA) and none of us will receive adequate funding for graduate school. 

Edited by 01848p

I honestly wouldn't worry too much about this, from what I've read there are hiring freezes for government agencies and the EPA looks to be in trouble, but the current gov hasn't mentioned defunding research or college 

On 1/21/2017 at 11:49 PM, momoeatspie said:

Hi everyone! I'm new to grad cafe and actually just recently heard about it. I've heard back from a few programs. Here are the updates:

I've been accepted to Waterloo and Ohio State (cried lots of tears at this news).

Have interviews at: UC Irvine, Miami University, NYU, British Columbia, Indiana University, UC Santa Barbara, and Carnegie Mellon. And then I turned down University of Rochester and Rutgers for interviews. 

AHHH!!! I JUST GOT MY FIRST ACCEPTANCE! I went to the interview weekend earlier this week and didn't feel like I did too hot. Totally convinced myself that I wasn't going to get in but literally....Three. Days. Later. I GOT AN EMAIL SAYING THAT I GOT IN!! Still have a couple of more interviews to go before deciding on schools, but no matter what happens... I'm going to grad school!!!! :D

17 hours ago, canessa said:

AHHH!!! I JUST GOT MY FIRST ACCEPTANCE! I went to the interview weekend earlier this week and didn't feel like I did too hot. Totally convinced myself that I wasn't going to get in but literally....Three. Days. Later. I GOT AN EMAIL SAYING THAT I GOT IN!! Still have a couple of more interviews to go before deciding on schools, but no matter what happens... I'm going to grad school!!!! :D

Congrats! This is a major life accomplishment. It is very nice that they were able to get back to you so quickly.

Has anyone heard from the following schools:

University of Illinois - Urbana
University of Iowa
University of Delaware
University of Minnesota - Twin Cities (Have heard some acceptances but has anyone been rejected or wait-listed yet?)

9 minutes ago, ForeverJung said:

University of Iowa
University of Delaware
University of Minnesota - Twin Cities (Have heard some acceptances but has anyone been rejected or wait-listed yet?)

Have not heard from umn but I read somewhere around here the social program doesn't interview?

So I had a phone interview with my POI at Kansas State on January 11th and have yet to hear anything back. Should I just keep being patient? How long does it usually take after an interview to hear what the next step is?

3 hours ago, dormcat said:

Have not heard from umn but I read somewhere around here the social program doesn't interview?

nothing from iowa yet. 

Also waiting on Florida State, Northern Illinois, Southern Illinois at Carbondale, Wyoming, Nebraska,Kentucky,Ole Miss ,Bama,and to hear back from a phone interview. 

Anyone have news from any of these???

On 1/26/2017 at 7:07 AM, MyDogHasAPhD said:

It is incredibly disheartening. I will be coming in with a Masters, multiple pubs, and other CV "tokens" that clearly demonstrate my abilities beyond a test score. Luckily I still have some other great options floating around but this one was a top. Especially because I was wait listed before the masters degree and was told to reapply if I went ahead and got my Masters! Well... 

Don't lose hope~ I had a terrible GPA (3.0) from having an undiagnosed medical condition for my entire life, but I've gotten treatment and for the past few years have been working really hard to prove to people that my GPA is not actually reflective of 1) my intelligence/competence or 2) my work ethic (I've gotten feedback from a few professors in my program that GPA is thought to reflect mostly work ethic and sometimes intelligence). I was able to get accepted to a top 20 program (one of my very top choices in fact :)), and I'm a very strong believer that at least for social psychology, grit trumps a lot of other factors.

I did have one professor recommend to me that if I didn't get into a program this year, he thinks it would likely be because programs are unsure if I have the intelligence to perform well, and I should take some sort of quantitative course or get some sort of certification to demonstrate that I do, in fact, have good quantitative intelligence (I had bad grades in quantitative courses in undergrad, even though I was 90th percentile for GRE).

9 hours ago, ForeverJung said:

University of Iowa
University of Delaware

UD had interviews last Monday and Friday. Hope this helps! 

On 1/28/2017 at 8:24 AM, owl_eyes said:

So I had a phone interview with my POI at Kansas State on January 11th and have yet to hear anything back. Should I just keep being patient? How long does it usually take after an interview to hear what the next step is?

After one of my Skype interviews I emailed the professor the same day to thank them for their time and for the interview. That same evening I got invited to an interview weekend. I've heard of people getting contacted a few days later as well. If you haven't heard anything by now send them a thank you email and say you're looking forward to hearing what the next steps are. Do you know if that program also does interview in person? Or do they just decide after the phone call? If they do in person interviews, I personally would send a follow up email. If they decide after phone calls I would wait a little bit longer. If you feel like you should wait a few extra days overall, then go for it! Trust your gut.

Which websites do you guys normally use to find the ranking of a program? I feel like there are so many out there, I never know which one to believe. They also always seem to rank the program on psychology as a whole and not social psych.

1 hour ago, canessa said:

Which websites do you guys normally use to find the ranking of a program? I feel like there are so many out there, I never know which one to believe. They also always seem to rank the program on psychology as a whole and not social psych.

Nosek et al, 2010. Cumulative and career-stage citation impact of social-personality psychology programs and their members.

or

https://www.socialpsychology.org/gsocial.htm (these were ranked in 1997 so a little outdated)

6 hours ago, soccerplaya said:

Nosek et al, 2010. Cumulative and career-stage citation impact of social-personality psychology programs and their members.

Mmm, tasty data. :D 

Personally, I took a quick glance at US News early in the application process, before deciding it was pretty useless (largely because it doesn't separate based on research areas, which is a pretty fatal flaw given that a program could be generally good but still lacking in regards to social psychological faculty/research).

NRC is interesting, but like soccerplaya said, rankings from 1997 aren't exactly great (or even relevant given how much is likely to have changed in regards to active faculty).

I also looked at the QS World University Rankings and the Times Higher Education World University Rankings (but again they're not specific to areas of psychology).

The most effective thing I found was just to talk to all the people I work with (grad students and professors) to see what programs/people they saw as doing "excellent" research on the topics that interest me (then sort of comparing what each person said).

Edited by C is for Caps Locks

Just found out that I got wait listed at one of my top schools. I wonder if this is good or bad? My POI told me that he has extended offers to his short list and that they have until April 15th- but he has asked them to respond before. If one of them rejects, I will be offered the position.

I am conflicted. This is good news because it means I may get in SOMEWHERE, but also, I am worried that nobody will reject their acceptance. 

I was wait listed for my masters program, and managed to get in...

does anyone have experience dealing with the wait list at the PhD level? The program is phenomenal , but lacks some of the funding that others offer- maybe this will sway people to reject ?

Still waiting for 9 programs to respond, but at least this isn't outright rejection. 

Honestly just posting for reassurance/ thoughts. 

Hi all, 

This is my first time posting in this forum, though I have been [anxiously] following it for a couple of weeks. I applied to 13 programs, and have only heard from 2 so far. I am waitlisted at Penn State and City University (critical social / personality program). Radio silence on ALL other fronts. The suspense is pretty terrible! 

I hear you, marsbars, about the ambiguity around being on the waitlist. I'm hoping for the best, but preparing for the worst. 

Has anyone heard from Clark or UNH? I heard that Clark was sending out invites last week, which leads me to believe that I have been rejected (though I haven't seen anything come up about Clark on any of the forums). 

Thanks and best of luck to everyone! 

6 minutes ago, selfservingbias said:

Hi all, 

This is my first time posting in this forum, though I have been [anxiously] following it for a couple of weeks. I applied to 13 programs, and have only heard from 2 so far. I am waitlisted at Penn State and City University (critical social / personality program). Radio silence on ALL other fronts. The suspense is pretty terrible! 

I hear you, marsbars, about the ambiguity around being on the waitlist. I'm hoping for the best, but preparing for the worst. 

Has anyone heard from Clark or UNH? I heard that Clark was sending out invites last week, which leads me to believe that I have been rejected (though I haven't seen anything come up about Clark on any of the forums). 

Thanks and best of luck to everyone! 

Also applied to Clark and UNH. Nothing yet. You are in good company in the world of radio silence. Best of luck!