Social Psychology Fall 2017 Applicants

MyDogHasAPhD

1 hour ago, PsychaLotl said:

Well, last night I checked my email and my POI let me know that I'd been recommended for acceptance to the social and personality program at UH Manoa! I wasn't expecting this at all, as I hadn't received any interview invitations to anywhere I had applied. It still hasn't sunk in

Congratulations!!! ?

AHHHH I GOT ACCEPTED INTO TWO OF MY THREE DREAM PROGRAMS!! When I got my first acceptance a few weeks ago I just started bawling. And then I just got accepted to my other dream school, laughed because nothing this amazing happens to me ever, and then started crying again. I'm just bewildered and overwhelmed. Almost can't believe the programs I've gotten into with a 2.98 GPA, although I do feel like I've spent quite a bit of time trying make up for that. Been on this forum for four years and am glad to have finally be "graduating" from it.

3 minutes ago, almondicecream said:

AHHHH I GOT ACCEPTED INTO TWO OF MY THREE DREAM PROGRAMS!! When I got my first acceptance a few weeks ago I just started bawling. And then I just got accepted to my other dream school, laughed because nothing this amazing happens to me ever, and then started crying again. I'm just bewildered and overwhelmed. Almost can't believe the programs I've gotten into with a 2.98 GPA, although I do feel like I've spent quite a bit of time trying make up for that. Been on this forum for four years and am glad to have finally be "graduating" from it.

Congratulations! Hard work and consistency pays off! 

14 hours ago, almondicecream said:

Congratulations on your hard work, persistence and determination, friend!! Amazing news.

1 hour ago, OptimiscallyAnxious said:

Found out that my POI from UCSC will not be taking any students this year. :( However, they encouraged me to stay in touch and to consider reapplying next year.

I had the same thing happen to me from UCSC. I was definitely disappointed. 

New member, lurker for about a year. I am just feeling so anxious and nervous because I feel like I haven't heard ANYTHING. I suppose that isn't completely true, but it feels mostly true...

I received one email from UC Davis mentioning that I couldn't be invited for an interview...not exactly sure what that means but I'm considering it an unofficial 'no'. 

I've also been wait-listed for the OHSU-PSU Public Health program.

Otherwise, I had one interview of sorts in early January from Portland State and that was it. 

I'm desperate to know! Anyone else feeling like the inevitable doom and disappointment is approaching? -_-

Applied- 12 programs

Interviews- 1/12 

Acceptances- 0/12

Rejections- 0/12

20 minutes ago, Veronicat said:

New member, lurker for about a year. I am just feeling so anxious and nervous because I feel like I haven't heard ANYTHING. I suppose that isn't completely true, but it feels mostly true...

I received one email from UC Davis mentioning that I couldn't be invited for an interview...not exactly sure what that means but I'm considering it an unofficial 'no'. 

Otherwise, I had one interview of sorts in early January from Portland State and that was it. 

I'm desperate to know! Anyone else feeling like the inevitable doom and disappointment is approaching? -_-

Applied- 12 programs

Interviews- 1/12 

Acceptances- 0/12

Rejections- 0/12

I'm feeling like I will likely be reapplying to PhD programs next year. I'm more hopeful for next round since I learned so much this time.

Stay hopeful though... we only need to be admitted to one program.

2 hours ago, Veronicat said:

Applied- 12 programs

Interviews- 1/12 

Acceptances- 0/12

Rejections- 0/12

I am feeling the same! I am waitlisted at two schools, and got my first official rejection this week. Most of the schools I applied to don't interview, so I am in the dark as far as their timelines. :(

I have also prepared myself with the idea that I will be reapplying next year. I learned a lot through this process. I have some holes in my application that will be addressed by the time the next admission cycle rolls around. 

And, there's always the chance of the 11th hour miracle. Fingers seriously crossed for that outcome.

Hang in there! You're not alone! 

21 hours ago, milkymamahdf said:

Anyone who interviewed at UC Irvine heard from them yet? I saw there was an acceptance in psychology posted on the result page but just don't know if it was the psychology and social behavior program.

I too am waiting on notification of acceptance from the psych social behavior program. I did get a notification from the dean, provost that my application was sent to faculty of the department and would be carefully reviewed for consideration. The email subject said "Thank You" and congratulated me on my academic achievements. The email was sent to me on December 22nd. I dont know if that is normal or not. I have not been notified since but also have not seen that anyone else has been notified. Again, this may all mean nothing but I did notice other departments, such as social psych have been rejected as well as neuropsych along with many other departments, have sent out reject and accept emails or calls. 

The waiting is terrible. If only I wasn't so OCD it would help. I just want to know good or bad at this point. I already have backup plans in place and will apply the following fall with an even better application. I will also apply to several more schools as well in order to increase the odds. UC Irvine psych and social behavior. 

On 2/8/2017 at 11:45 AM, PsychaLotl said:

Well, last night I checked my email and my POI let me know that I'd been recommended for acceptance to the social and personality program at UH Manoa! I wasn't expecting this at all, as I hadn't received any interview invitations to anywhere I had applied. It still hasn't sunk in

Congrats! Mind if I ask who your POI is? 

On 2/8/2017 at 2:38 PM, milkymamahdf said:

Anyone who interviewed at UC Irvine heard from them yet? I saw there was an acceptance in psychology posted on the result page but just don't know if it was the psychology and social behavior program.

4 hours ago, Sneidinger said:

I too am waiting on notification of acceptance from the psych social behavior program. I did get a notification from the dean, provost that my application was sent to faculty of the department and would be carefully reviewed for consideration. The email subject said "Thank You" and congratulated me on my academic achievements. The email was sent to me on December 22nd. I dont know if that is normal or not. I have not been notified since but also have not seen that anyone else has been notified. Again, this may all mean nothing but I did notice other departments, such as social psych have been rejected as well as neuropsych along with many other departments, have sent out reject and accept emails or calls. 

I thought we would get decisions from UC, Irvine today given last year's time line. 

Edited by OptimiscallyAnxious

13 hours ago, OptimiscallyAnxious said:

I thought we would get decisions from UC, Irvine today given last year's time line. 

Yah I dont know about that. I thought I saw from last year from varying departments and I think specifically psychology, there were several acceptances given in the first week of March. I hope that is not the case but I am trying to stay sane. I have too much to do to let this keep me up at night. I have a back up plan in place if I dont get in this coming fall. I hope its good news though that I have not heard yet. I do have good recommenders and stellar research experience (3yrs). 

1 hour ago, Sneidinger said:

Yah I dont know about that. I thought I saw from last year from varying departments and I think specifically psychology, there were several acceptances given in the first week of March. I hope that is not the case but I am trying to stay sane. I have too much to do to let this keep me up at night. I have a back up plan in place if I dont get in this coming fall. I hope its good news though that I have not heard yet. I do have good recommenders and stellar research experience (3yrs). 

I heard my friend has been given official letter of acceptance from UC Irvine about 2-3 days ago, psychology and social behavior. They said that they would give offers to 16 out of 40 finalists 

Edited by matchapie

2 hours ago, Sneidinger said:

I think the March acceptances were for the cognitive psych department. The psych & social behavior department seems to have sent out acceptances in early February of last year. The rejections might be sent out later.

Best of luck to all those waiting.

Edited by OptimiscallyAnxious

Anyone heard anything from Iowa???
Also- Alabama? 
I know that my other programs make decisions later, but checking trends- these two should have said something by now? Not too sure though. 

2 hours ago, matchapie said:

I heard my friend has been given official letter of acceptance from UC Irvine about 2-3 days ago, psychology and social behavior. They said that they would give offers to 16 out of 40 finalists 

Thanks for the update!! its helpful to hear something about status. 

Does anyone else feel like there is a gap in notifications for social/community psych programs in the results page? I'm hoping this is true and most schools notify folks toward the end of February... 

guys i have a quick question, so i attended the university recruitment event and i interviewed with 5 professors, they all went well and it was good. today i got an email from my 1st rated poi, saying that he cant take me due to funding and time issues, however my application status on the school site still says under review i was wondering does this mean that other professors that i interviewed with are still considering me or am i unofficially rejected

1 hour ago, B_Allen said:

guys i have a quick question, so i attended the university recruitment event and i interviewed with 5 professors, they all went well and it was good. today i got an email from my 1st rated poi, saying that he cant take me due to funding and time issues, however my application status on the school site still says under review i was wondering does this mean that other professors that i interviewed with are still considering me or am i unofficially rejected

You can probably just send him an email back and ask for clarification-- sounds like things could go either way. Hoping for the best for you!

I just got an admissions letter, but won't be able to make a decision between that school and one I'm visiting next week until after my visit. Do y'all have any advice on how to thank the PI from uni1 while not being too forward/implying I'll go there? She told me to keep in touch as I made a decision about where to go, but it feels sort of crass to be like "Thanks so much! Btw I'm still considering my options, so stay tuned."