Social Psychology Fall 2017 Applicants

MyDogHasAPhD

2 hours ago, ForeverJung said:

Nothing like a rejection email to start your Saturday :) Am I the only one who uses these types of emails as motivation? At least now I have a clear-cut number 1 school on my rankings. 

What schools did you apply to if you dont mind sharing? Maybe I missed that post?..... I am just curious because there still does not seem to be much on the psych social and behavior at UC Irvine out yet that I can see. Someone did give a stat so that was helpful. 

2 minutes ago, Sneidinger said:

What schools did you apply to if you dont mind sharing? Maybe I missed that post?..... I am just curious because there still does not seem to be much on the psych social and behavior at UC Irvine out yet that I can see. Someone did give a stat so that was helpful. 

I was referring to the University of Minnesota - TC, I got my email from them today. It was anticipated. 

6 hours ago, dormcat said:

I just got an admissions letter, but won't be able to make a decision between that school and one I'm visiting next week until after my visit. Do y'all have any advice on how to thank the PI from uni1 while not being too forward/implying I'll go there? She told me to keep in touch as I made a decision about where to go, but it feels sort of crass to be like "Thanks so much! Btw I'm still considering my options, so stay tuned."

My email verbatim. :P Quite honestly though, both schools are 2/3 of my dream schools so I suppose you could maybe tone down the excessive excitement.

Hi ____,

Thank you for this AMAZING news!!!! I feel honored that you and the other faculty would be interested in working with me, and I was so, so happily surprised by how easy it was to get along with the students and the prospective students. Would you potentially have time to talk later, perhaps between February 22nd and March 8th? I could email you to set up a date a few days before.

I was invited to the __________ recruitment weekend and will need some time to think since both programs are dream schools for me. But I will try my best to figure out what opportunity is best for me by early March so I don't inconvenience people too much.

Again, thank you so much!! 

10 hours ago, dormcat said:

I just got an admissions letter, but won't be able to make a decision between that school and one I'm visiting next week until after my visit. Do y'all have any advice on how to thank the PI from uni1 while not being too forward/implying I'll go there? She told me to keep in touch as I made a decision about where to go, but it feels sort of crass to be like "Thanks so much! Btw I'm still considering my options, so stay tuned."

Hi Dormcat,

Congrats on your admissions letter!! This is what my thank you letters have been (they're a bit more short and sweet since I previously sent thank you emails following my interviews that were much more detailed):

"Dear __________,

Thank you so much. This is very exciting news and I am thrilled to hear from you! I was so impressed by the atmosphere and the great work being done at __________. I will be sure to let you know as soon as possible when I have made a decision. I will also let you know if I have any additional questions. Thank you again!

All my best,
"
Edited by canessa

So this might be a long-shot, but I don't suppose there are any well-organized databases regarding placement of social psychology programs?

I have looked at the Nosek et al. 2010 paper, but I'm trying to compare a couple of the programs I've been accepted to (particularly in regards to success/placement after attaining a PhD) in order to better inform my choice.

21 minutes ago, C is for Caps Locks said:

So this might be a long-shot, but I don't suppose there are any well-organized databases regarding placement of social psychology programs?

I have looked at the Nosek et al. 2010 paper, but I'm trying to compare a couple of the programs I've been accepted to (particularly in regards to success/placement after attaining a PhD) in order to better inform my choice.

Looking for the same thing. Trying to decide between a very established Prof in the field from a smaller school and a very respected school with a good program. 

44 minutes ago, C is for Caps Locks said:

Check out the National Center For Education Statistics if you haven't already. Not sure it has exactly what you're looking for, but there's a lot there.

Just received a notification from UCI's Psych & Social Behavior program. I've been waitlisted :( this was my top choice. 

Congratulations to those fortunate enough to be admitted. 

Edited by OptimiscallyAnxious

I am waiting to hear from them from the same school of ecology psych and social behavior. I hope at least one person decides to decline for you! I am still "under review" as of right now. I did hear from them in December congratulating me on my outstanding achievements and that I would hear something in the next weeks from faculty. But nothing since so I hope this means I will hear something soon. I really hope you get in. I know how difficult all this is and how much you have to want it to even apply! Good luck! 

11 hours ago, milkymamahdf said:

Hi all,

Just wondering how you guys respond to school that waitlisted you. Any suggestions? Many thanks!

I sent concise emails stating my continued interest in the program, and my happiness at the possibility of hearing back from them in the future. I avoid anything negative! 

I also attached an updated CV to my emails, as I had a couple of posters accepted to conventions since submitting my applications in the fall. Hope this helps, and good luck! Fingers crossed for us waitlisters. :) 

1 hour ago, selfservingbias said:

I sent concise emails stating my continued interest in the program, and my happiness at the possibility of hearing back from them in the future. I avoid anything negative! 

I also attached an updated CV to my emails, as I had a couple of posters accepted to conventions since submitting my applications in the fall. Hope this helps, and good luck! Fingers crossed for us waitlisters. :) 

Thank you very much!

Do you all know if rejections are generally sent out at the same time? I've seen that people have posted that they didn't get in via email or via the programs website, but my status still says "submitted".

I wonder if that could mean I'm waitlisted or still in the running, or perhaps that they haven't gotten to my application yet?

2 hours ago, Sneidinger said:

I am waiting to hear from them from the same school of ecology psych and social behavior. I hope at least one person decides to decline for you! I am still "under review" as of right now. I did hear from them in December congratulating me on my outstanding achievements and that I would hear something in the next weeks from faculty. But nothing since so I hope this means I will hear something soon. I really hope you get in. I know how difficult all this is and how much you have to want it to even apply! Good luck! 

Thank you kindly. My application still says "under review" as well... but I expect those accepted should be receiving a phone call sometime this week. Hopefully, you're among those receiving a call. Best of luck!

38 minutes ago, Phd2b18 said:

Do you all know if rejections are generally sent out at the same time? I've seen that people have posted that they didn't get in via email or via the programs website, but my status still says "submitted".

I wonder if that could mean I'm waitlisted or still in the running, or perhaps that they haven't gotten to my application yet?

I'm not entirely sure actually. I have one application that also just says "submitted". I saw someone was rejected via email but only after they inquired about admission from POI. I haven't seen anything else from this school except one acceptance from I/O.

55 minutes ago, Phd2b18 said:

are you looking at the graduate application tracker that is the login you need to check? It would say "under review" or rejected or accepted. https://socialecology.uci.edu/webapps/tracker/index.php 

31 minutes ago, Sneidinger said:

are you looking at the graduate application tracker that is the login you need to check? It would say "under review" or rejected or accepted. https://socialecology.uci.edu/webapps/tracker/index.php 

Thanks, I didn't apply to that program specifically though. I applied to NYU and there were a couple of submissions saying that they had an automated email saying to check their status on the website, and it gave them the generic "rejected" answer.

whereas mine still says "submitted", and I didn't receive any emails.

9 minutes ago, Phd2b18 said:

Thanks, I didn't apply to that program specifically though. I applied to NYU and there were a couple of submissions saying that they had an automated email saying to check their status on the website, and it gave them the generic "rejected" answer.

whereas mine still says "submitted", and I didn't receive any emails.

I see. I apologize for the confusion. Good luck to you!

Rejected from Kentucky.

Today has been a shit show. 

Work computer had a meltdown and stopped functioning (in the AM- so I had to teach 200 high schoolers / community college students with 0 tech and 0 warning of 0 tech)

Tag is expired so I had to brave the DMV

And my gradschool e-mail address is expiring (they told me TODAY, with 1 day warning)- so I had to rush home and change all of my e-mails (for credit cards, loans, electric bill, social media) ,and contact 9 different departments that the e-mail is changing :(

I need some prayers for peace (or positive thoughts- whatever floats your boat).

8 minutes ago, marsbars said:

Rejected from Kentucky.

Work computer had a meltdown and stopped functioning (in the AM- so I had to teach 200 high schoolers / community college students with 0 tech and 0 warning of 0 tech)

And my gradschool e-mail address is expiring (they told me TODAY, with 1 day warning)- so I had to rush home and change all of my e-mails (for credit cards, loans, electric bill, social media) ,and contact 9 different departments that the e-mail is changing :(

I need some prayers for peace (or positive thoughts- whatever floats your boat).

I'm sorry about your day... sending positivity and good thoughts your way. 

2 hours ago, marsbars said:

Rejected from Kentucky.

Sounds like a very rough day. I hope tomorrow brings only good news for you. Sending warmth and good wishes!

Heard back from ASU, recommended for admission (so not a formal offer quite yet), and invited to visit. 

Really excited as they're an awesome program and some of their PhD graduates are people I applied to work at in other universities.

Edited by C is for Caps Locks

31 minutes ago, C is for Caps Locks said:

Heard back from ASU, recommended for admission (so not a formal offer quite yet), and invited to visit. 

Really excited as they're an awesome program and some of their PhD graduates are people I applied to work at in other universities.

Thats so awesome!!!! Congrats!!!