Social Psychology Fall 2017 Applicants

MyDogHasAPhD

20 hours ago, sheRocks24x7 said:

Hello everyone! This is my first post. I don't see many international applicants writing here (which is annoying!), so thought of sharing my (rejection) status as an International student. I got the 'admissions to MA in General Psychology' mail from NYU today...I am assuming that implies that I was supposed to receive the 'rejection to PhD program' mail on 15th along with others, which I didn't. 

So I guess if any of you haven't received the mail, this could be a reason...if you are unlucky...so, my advice would be to get in touch with the admission's dept.  If you are lucky, it's possible some good news awaits you. They seem to be announcing the results in the Beauty-pageant-order.

I'm an international student too and I also applied to NYU. I wasn't invited for interview but hasn't received the rejection letter either. However, when I applied, I made it clear that I didn't want to do master if rejected from the phd, probably that's why I haven't heard from them yet. Finger crossed.

Just joined as well, applied to 23 PhD programs from social psych and heard back from about 5:

Offered MA at NYU but rejected from PhD

Rejected from UCLA

Temple waitlisted then their top choice accepted offer

Interview from GWU next week

Howard extended me an unofficial offer

Has anyone heard anything from Penn, Columbia, or CUNY??

7 minutes ago, socialcoffee said:

Just joined as well, applied to 23 PhD programs from social psych and heard back from about 5:

Rejected from UCLA

Hey! Just wanted to say that I have the open house at GWU next week also! There are only four of us that will be there. I'll see you there!

If you want to message me, definitely do so! :)

Edited by MH429

4 hours ago, socialcoffee said:

Rejected from UCLA

No word from Columbia either. I emailed the program at CUNY and they told me I was waitlisted and that they were doing interviews on the 8th I believe. I haven't heard a peep since.

34 minutes ago, Phd2b18 said:

No word from Columbia either. I emailed the program at CUNY and they told me I was waitlisted and that they were doing interviews on the 8th I believe. I haven't heard a peep since.

I'm waitlisted at CUNY for the critical psych program, and haven't heard anything since the initial waitlist email either. I know they invited 10 students to the interview weekend (not sure how many slots), so not too hopeful. 

@socialcoffee My Temple status is still "ready for review", which is extremely annoying. But I'm just curious, did you have an INCREDIBLY difficult time applying to Temple? Because they really made it difficult, for me at least. Two applications, with separate fees, plus typing in my full college transcript (and high school APs!) by hand, plus spending like an hour trying to find the proper address for transcripts. 

3 hours ago, momoeatspie said:

Hi, I was admitted to UCI's program.

Congratulations on your acceptance to UCI. It is a great program with wonderful faculty members. If you wouldn't mind would you please message me the initials of your POI, thank you.

Hey everyone! Congrats on all the offers!! And to those waiting, fingers crossed for us - hope we hear good news soon! 

I see that on the results page, someone's submitted an acceptance from NYU for social psych. Did someone from here post that? Congrats!!! :-) 

I was invited to the interview weekend but have heard nothing so far. 

On 2/17/2017 at 7:53 PM, SocCog said:

@socialcoffee My Temple status is still "ready for review", which is extremely annoying. But I'm just curious, did you have an INCREDIBLY difficult time applying to Temple? Because they really made it difficult, for me at least. Two applications, with separate fees, plus typing in my full college transcript (and high school APs!) by hand, plus spending like an hour trying to find the proper address for transcripts. 

Yeah there were like two applications, but they already have their people for social psych I think

@Godpsy I applied there too but no word from them

Edited by socialcoffee

On 2/17/2017 at 4:01 PM, Phd2b18 said:

when I emailed cuny a few weeks ago, they told me my app was still processing so I emailed them again a few days ago

3 hours ago, Thunderdog said:

I see that on the results page, someone's submitted an acceptance from NYU for social psych. Did someone from here post that? Congrats!!! :-) 

That was me, thanks! NYU quickly climbed to the top of my list after interviews so I'm super excited.

Best of luck to anyone else still waiting, everyone I have met here and at interviews has been wonderful/inspiring and any program would be lucky to have you. ?

Also, I'll out my self as an international student as well (I think there are quite a few of us here, it's just hard to tell sometimes).

Edited by C is for Caps Locks

6 hours ago, C is for Caps Locks said:

That was me, thanks! NYU quickly climbed to the top of my list after interviews so I'm super excited.

Best of luck to anyone else still waiting, everyone I have met here and at interviews has been wonderful/inspiring and any program would be lucky to have you. ?

Also, I'll out my self as an international student as well (I think there are quite a few of us here, it's just hard to tell sometimes).

Well done and congratulations! NYU is an amazing place to receive grad training and one of the best places to be for social psychology! ?

I got the rejection too. :(

I just want to know how many International students who are currently residing outside U.S and don't have a U.S VISA, got in. I hope there are atleast a few.

If I have to apply again next year, I would like to know if they are really taking in any International students (with international degrees) at all now. If not, then I would rather focus more time, money and energy on non-U.S universities.

10 hours ago, JustSad said:

I got the rejection too. :(

I just want to know how many International students who are currently residing outside U.S and don't have a U.S VISA, got in. I hope there are atleast a few.

If I have to apply again next year, I would like to know if they are really taking in any International students (with international degrees) at all now. If not, then I would rather focus more time, money and energy on non-U.S universities.

I am not an international student, but have applied to over 30 PhD programs over the past 3 years. Anecdotally, it seems as though more international students are being offered admission to programs than domestic students. I attended an on-campus interview earlier this month where the ENTIRE social program consisted of international students-- I was also the only domestic student being interviewed. 

In other words, I think you have a fine chance of gaining entrance into U.S. doctoral programs-- your status might even be an advantage.

I've met a lot of other international students at interviews, however, one thing I am not quite sure of is whether most of them are international students with US degrees or not.

Purely anecdotally, a majority of the international students I've met seem to also have US degrees, with a smaller number with degrees from non-US institutions.

Edited by C is for Caps Locks

5 hours ago, milkymamahdf said:

Has anyone heard anything from University of Washington, Seattle, Boston college, and stony brook?

Just received the rejection letter from Boston College via mail. Interesting that they actually mailed it. 

Edited by milkymamahdf