Social Psychology Fall 2017 Applicants

MyDogHasAPhD

13 hours ago, milkymamahdf said:

Has anyone heard anything from University of Washington, Seattle, Boston college, and stony brook?

I haven't heard anything from Washington. Nothing on the application site or Identity.UW. The application does say "they will send you notification of their decision by email or postal mail." So they might be mailed. 

I received an email to check the status of my application for The Graduate Center (CUNY), and was officially rejected. I kind of figured as much, being that they waitlisted me and had 10 people come for interviews. Congrats to those who were accepted!

50 minutes ago, Nut-ella said:

Has anyone heard anything from Penn State? I interviewed there on 2/10 but they have been silent ever since. This cannot be good

I've received an informal acceptance from my POI but haven't got the official letter yet. 

Finger crossed for you! Best of luck!

2 minutes ago, milkymamahdf said:

I've received an informal acceptance from my POI but haven't got the official letter yet. 

Finger crossed for you! Best of luck!

Thank you!! When did you hear back and can you PM me who your POI was?

1 hour ago, Phd2b18 said:

I received an email to check the status of my application for The Graduate Center (CUNY), and was officially rejected. I kind of figured as much, being that they waitlisted me and had 10 people come for interviews. Congrats to those who were accepted!

Which program did you apply?

9 minutes ago, The Mountain Goat said:

You guys still alive? Anyone heard anything today? People are hearing back from other departments, but the Psychology people seem to be extra quiet today!

Here and waiting! I received an official rejection from Colorado State University but that has been it so far... 

1 hour ago, The Mountain Goat said:

You guys still alive? Anyone heard anything today? People are hearing back from other departments, but the Psychology people seem to be extra quiet today!

I've had no news to report... just waiting to hopefully be accepted from waitlist.

Heard back from two additional programs (one of them was my top choice after visiting so I'm really happy about that), mostly now I'm waiting to finish up my last three visits (to programs that admit first then have you visit), before I make a final call as soon as possible.

I'm already uncomfortable holding on to spots in the three programs I've been admitted to but still have to visit, however having seen how much I learned visiting other universities, I also feel like I can't make a choice without having seen what those programs/POIs are like in person.

In general, I'm also just looking forward to finally knowing where I'll move with my SO for the next 5-6 years. :)

Edited by C is for Caps Locks

6 hours ago, The Mountain Goat said:

Nope. Nothing here. I got an email that UCI got my FAFSA and asking me to make a UCInetID. Just form letters I can't reply to. But it's something? 

16 hours ago, OptimiscallyAnxious said:

I've had no news to report... just waiting to hopefully be accepted from waitlist.

Apply to lab manager positions in the meantime to ease your worries about what you might do if you don't get in. :) If anything, sometimes it might be more relaxing than the PhD itself because you don't need to worry about taking classes, or responding to hundreds of emails from the freshmen in the courses you will TA...

14 hours ago, C is for Caps Locks said:

Heard back from two additional programs (one of them was my top choice after visiting so I'm really happy about that), mostly now I'm waiting to finish up my last three visits (to programs that admit first then have you visit), before I make a final call as soon as possible.

I'm already uncomfortable holding on to spots in the three programs I've been admitted to but still have to visit, however having seen how much I learned visiting other universities, I also feel like I can't make a choice without having seen what those programs/POIs are like in person.

In general, I'm also just looking forward to finally knowing where I'll move with my SO for the next 5-6 years. :)

I know what you mean. I feel really bad about holding onto offers, but I don't feel comfortable letting them go until I finish my visits. I did pass on one so far that I knew for sure I wouldn't be attending and someone was able to get off the waitlist. I'm hoping I'll know better once I'm done visiting and I can let programs know ASAP and more people can get off the waitlist. 

2 hours ago, momoeatspie said:

I know what you mean. I feel really bad about holding onto offers, but I don't feel comfortable letting them go until I finish my visits. I did pass on one so far that I knew for sure I wouldn't be attending and someone was able to get off the waitlist. I'm hoping I'll know better once I'm done visiting and I can let programs know ASAP and more people can get off the waitlist. 

That sounds like a hard decision- how did you decide ? (Also, which program- if you don't mind sharing)

:) 

Congrats on narrowing it down! 

2 hours ago, momoeatspie said:

Thanks for the reply, glad to see others have similar thoughts.

I've already decline three offers, because after visiting it was pretty clear they weren't the right programs for me and my goals, but I found that going to a program was sometimes so different from what I had expected that like you said I'm not comfortable declining offers at other great universities with some faculty I'm really interested in working with when I haven't had a chance to see them.

Edited by C is for Caps Locks

17 minutes ago, marsbars said:

That sounds like a hard decision- how did you decide ? (Also, which program- if you don't mind sharing)

:) 

Congrats on narrowing it down! 

I decided certain programs weren't for me because I just knew. There was one where I just couldn't see myself going to school there and living there and others (that I'm planning to decline their offers soon) I felt that there were other programs where the fit was better and my needs would be better met. 

19 hours ago, C is for Caps Locks said:

Make sure to take a break from feeling bad about holding onto spots to CELEBRATE! I came into this process fully aware that I would probably not ever have to make a decision. Getting into multiple programs isn't common. You must be amazing! 

Well, there goes Princeton. So all that's left of my "dream" programs is Cornell. And then I have very strong feelings that Wash State and Texas are out (one I got an email from another professor claiming my POI wasn't accepting, even though it clearly says on the website she is; the other, my phone interview was postponed and then they never wanted to reschedule.)  

Edit: Oh, and there goes Temple. Sighhhh. That is the application that cost the most and took the most time. 

Edited by SocCog

2 hours ago, SocCog said:

Well, there goes Princeton. So all that's left of my "dream" programs is Cornell. And then I have very strong feelings that Wash State and Texas are out (one I got an email from another professor claiming my POI wasn't accepting, even though it clearly says on the website she is; the other, my phone interview was postponed and then they never wanted to reschedule.)  

Edit: Oh, and there goes Temple. Sighhhh. That is the application that cost the most and took the most time. 

I am on the same boat with Princeton!

Good luck with Cornell. 

On 2/24/2017 at 5:17 PM, SocCog said:

Cornell is kind of a crapshoot anyways. :| I think their average cohort size is something like 1-2 students, compared to some other programs that accept 3-5 per cohort. I wouldn't feel too bad about that (lol I've applied three times to their program for Melissa, Tom, and David - got on the waitlist two years ago, and this cycle I think I'm getting a rejection).

And if it makes you feel better, I have two friends who have experienced Princeton (one as an interviewee, one as a grad student), and the former thought they were rather condescending and arrogant, the latter is super stressed and finds it hard to come across social support in the department, considering that the students are pretty competitive with each other. I'm a lab manager at one of the social programs that is always ranked top ten, and I don't think that type of a harsh environment is particularly necessary (or beneficial) for students.