Social Psychology Fall 2017 Applicants

MyDogHasAPhD

1 hour ago, ZosoPage said:

Update: Got invited to campus interview @ UNC-Chapel Hill on February 10th (Social / Neuropsychology).

Just received an invite for a phone interview @ Duke University for tomorrow. My POI implicated that invites were going out today and tomorrow (before Christmas). 

Best of luck to you all!

Congratulations and best of luck with your interviews. 

Hello everyone! I figured I'd join in because my nervousness has gotten the better of me! 

I've applied for four different PhD programs: University of Denver (top choice), Colorado State University, Oregon State University, and University of Oregon. Still waiting to hear back from all of them, which is making me incredibly nervous.

I should be okay, as I have a strong application this time around. (I was in a different PhD program and disliked it, but learned a lot which helped my application this time around.) However, the silence is deafening, and I am hoping that "no news is good news" holds up at the moment. 

Best of luck to everyone, and I can't wait to see what turns up for all of us. (I myself am holding out for a Christmas Eve phone call with good news. Or New Years Eve. Or even tonight at midnight. Whenever is cool. I'll wait.)

10 hours ago, fadedfigures said:

Hello everyone! I figured I'd join in because my nervousness has gotten the better of me! 

I've applied for four different PhD programs: University of Denver (top choice), Colorado State University, Oregon State University, and University of Oregon. Still waiting to hear back from all of them, which is making me incredibly nervous.

I should be okay, as I have a strong application this time around. (I was in a different PhD program and disliked it, but learned a lot which helped my application this time around.) However, the silence is deafening, and I am hoping that "no news is good news" holds up at the moment. 

Best of luck to everyone, and I can't wait to see what turns up for all of us. (I myself am holding out for a Christmas Eve phone call with good news. Or New Years Eve. Or even tonight at midnight. Whenever is cool. I'll wait.)

Also applied to Colorado State and haven't heard a peep so you're in good company!

5 hours ago, cuppyduppy said:

Also applied to Colorado State and haven't heard a peep so you're in good company!

The last few weeks have been nothing more than obsessive email checking. Glad to hear I'm not missing anything. (I say, as I check my spam folder again just to be sure.)

After being rejected from two schools, PI at UMich requested phone interview. Michigan does phone interviews (or at least does not do in-person interviews, can't speak for all faculty) and then a recruitment weekend for accepted students. Really excited but also super nervous since it's my first choice.

16 minutes ago, dormcat said:

After being rejected from two schools, PI at UMich requested phone interview. Michigan does phone interviews (or at least does not do in-person interviews, can't speak for all faculty) and then a recruitment weekend for accepted students. Really excited but also super nervous since it's my first choice.

Best of luck! My program at U-M (CPEP) doesn't even do a phone interview, I just have to wait until January to find out ??

1 minute ago, 01848p said:

Best of luck! My program at U-M (CPEP) doesn't even do a phone interview, I just have to wait until January to find out ??

Aw, good luck! I totally understand how hard the wait is. Hopefully you get some good news soon since January is just around the corner!

3 hours ago, dormcat said:

That's fantastic news! Good luck! Hoping for the best for you!

(And send some of that interview luck our way! We could use some good news on our ends too!)

17 hours ago, OptimiscallyAnxious said:

Congratulations!!! That's great news as the year is coming to a close.

Thank you! This was a pleasant surprise as it was on my list of "reach" schools due to my low quant GRE.  Everytime an interview comes in, my imposter syndrome grows stronger! Lol

On 12/30/2016 at 3:12 PM, fadedfigures said:

Congratulations! Send some luck to those of us still waiting for a shred of news!

I have a feeling this week and next  will bring all of us some hopefully much awaited news, once everyone is back from the holiday break. Happy new year! :)

On 1/1/2017 at 7:26 PM, Godpsy said:

Congratulation everyone! I have just received an email from the POI of UIUC!

She invited me to skype and send me a chunk of papers, asking me to read in detail and discuss with her in the interview. 

BREAK OR MAKE!!! she said decision will be made a few days after the interview!!!!

Congratulations! Make or break time! You'll do wonderfully!

For everyone else: I've noticed that the Social Psychology thread seems to be updated infrequently, while the other fields (Clinical, Counseling, etc.) seem to have a lot of activity. Have we largely been hearing nothing as Social Psych applicants? I mean, no news is good news, but I'd like to confirm that there really is no news so far.

4 hours ago, fadedfigures said:

Congratulations! Make or break time! You'll do wonderfully!

For everyone else: I've noticed that the Social Psychology thread seems to be updated infrequently, while the other fields (Clinical, Counseling, etc.) seem to have a lot of activity. Have we largely been hearing nothing as Social Psych applicants? I mean, no news is good news, but I'd like to confirm that there really is no news so far.

I think it could be that Clinical and Counseling programs generally have more applicants and therefore, probably an increased presence on this forum. Also, unlike a lot of the Clinical programs, Social PhD programs have later deadlines. I have two schools that aren't even due until the 15th of this month! Also, traditionally, many Social programs do not make decisions regarding admission until after SPSP, which is the 19th-21st of this month. Many times, POIs use SPSP as an opportunity to scope out applicants. I do think in the next few weeks we will see an increase in activity (or one could hope, because I too am slowly losing it!). 

4 hours ago, MyDogHasAPhD said:

I think it could be that Clinical and Counseling programs generally have more applicants and therefore, probably an increased presence on this forum. Also, unlike a lot of the Clinical programs, Social PhD programs have later deadlines. I have two schools that aren't even due until the 15th of this month! Also, traditionally, many Social programs do not make decisions regarding admission until after SPSP, which is the 19th-21st of this month. Many times, POIs use SPSP as an opportunity to scope out applicants. I do think in the next few weeks we will see an increase in activity (or one could hope, because I too am slowly losing it!). 

...I cannot wait until the end of this month for some news. I mean, I can, but it doesn't mean I want to. The waiting is starting to drive me a little nutty. I was debating calling the department today to ask about the status of my application, but I figured I've give more time before reaching out. 

Either way, the time needs to go by much more quickly. 

4 hours ago, ZosoPage said:

I wonder how those "reach-outs" look to the eyes of faculty? Is it annoying or frowned upon?

I'm not sure how it would be viewed by faculty or ADCOM members, but the idea is sounding more appealing by the day. 

On January 1, 2017 at 10:26 PM, Godpsy said:

Congratulation everyone! I have just received an email from the POI of UIUC!

She invited me to skype and send me a chunk of papers, asking me to read in detail and discuss with her in the interview. 

BREAK OR MAKE!!! she said decision will be made a few days after the interview!!!!

Best of luck!!! I have my fingers crossed for you!

Hey all, got an email yesterday from a POI at UCSB saying she saw my application and wants to talk about research interests via skype tomorrow. Not sure if this is an informal chat or not but I'm definitely preparing for it like it's an interview. 

Edited by canessa

Uhh just now got an email from a second UCSB POI saying that her and said previous POI were both interested in my application and now she wants to set up a skype chat this week too! Is it typical for a university to set up two separate skype talks/interviews by two different professors?

16 hours ago, canessa said:

Hey all, got an email yesterday from a POI at UCSB saying she saw my application and wants to talk about research interests via skype tomorrow. Not sure if this is an informal chat or not but I'm definitely preparing for it like it's an interview. 

Just received an invite from my POI @Penn State for a phone interview. She said she'd like to discuss research interests too. My first interview, very nervous. 

I also wonder how specific the "research interests" need to be.

35 minutes ago, milkymamahdf said:

Just received an invite from my POI @Penn State for a phone interview. She said she'd like to discuss research interests too. My first interview, very nervous. 

I also wonder how specific the "research interests" need to be.

After talking to one of my mentors who's in grad school now, she reassured me that her interview was very conversational and relaxed. Definitely know your own interests and be able to articulate them well, know your research experience and be able to say what you took away from each experience and know what the POI's current research is - have a couple of questions ready for them too. Her experience was a really short 15 minute Skype where they just sorta wanna feel you out as a person.

Good luck on your phone interview! I'm nervous for my Skype interviews today too!!