Social Psychology Fall 2017 Applicants

MyDogHasAPhD

On 1/12/2017 at 3:23 PM, ForeverJung said:

Hello folks, has anyone heard from the following programs regarding interviews?
University of Iowa - Social Psychology

I'm currently wrapping up my undergrad and a week or two ago I heard from the grapevine that at least some of the professors here hadn't even started looking at applications yet (I'm guessing they'll start when classes start on the 17th of January), so it might be a little bit longer until they start emailing people (although  I can't make any guarantees).

-------------

As to my own applications:

Interviews (in-person*), all upcoming, with the universities comping my travel costs:

University of Pennsylvania

University of Texas at Austin

University of Toronto

University of California Irvine

New York University

*A couple of universities also seemed to do "pre-interview" interviews via Skype, but so far most of them have just called me to invite me to their interview/open house dates).

I went kind of crazy with the number of schools I applied to (15), but there's so many great programs/researchers and I really want to keep doing research. For the remaining schools, I'm just waiting to see if I'll hear from any more (I figure more options never hurts).

I also didn't have to interview but I was accepted to the PhD Social Psychology program (with a focus on social rather than personality type of work) at the University of Michigan with the PI I was most interested in working with, so that made my week/month/year. :D 

@C is for Caps Locks congrats on U of M and on all your interviews! Out of curiosity, were you able to make contact with your POI prior to submitting your application? I had tried reaching out to a couple professors there, in the social program, back in October and never received a response from either of them. 

11 minutes ago, C is for Caps Locks said:

I'm currently wrapping up my undergrad at the University of Iowa and a week or two ago I heard from the grapevine that at least some of the professors here hadn't even started looking at applications yet (I'm guessing they'll start when classes start on the 17th of January), so it might be a little bit longer until they start emailing people (although  I can't make any guarantees).

-------------

Interviews (in-person*), all upcoming, with the universities comping my travel costs:

University of Toronto

New York University

*A couple of universities also seemed to do "pre-interview" interviews via Skype, but so far most of them have just called me to invite me to their interview/open house dates).

I went kind of crazy with the number of schools I applied to (15), but there's so many great programs/researchers and I really want to keep doing research. For the remaining schools, I'm just waiting to see if I'll hear from any more (I figure more options never hurts).

I also didn't have to interview but I was accepted to the PhD Social Psychology program (with a focus on social rather than personality type of work) at the University of Michigan with the PI I was most interested in working with, so that made my week/month/year. :D 

Ayy cyber high five. I'll be seeing you at the umich recruitment weekend. :) I also applied to NYU but I guess I didn't get an interview. 

2 minutes ago, 01848p said:

@C is for Caps Locks congrats on U of M and on all your interviews! Out of curiosity, were you able to make contact with your POI prior to submitting your application? I had tried reaching out to a couple professors there, in the social program, back in October and never received a response from either of them. 

I emailed my POI at umich 3 separate times and he never responded, but it worked out still. I've also gotten two skype interviews with POIs who I emailed but never received a response from, so sometimes it's because they're busy and only sometimes is it because they're not interested.

Thanks!

16 minutes ago, 01848p said:

As to contacting POI, I didn't actually contact most of my POIs (I emailed two people before sending applications in).

In general, the advice I got from the professors I work with was that not contacting my POIs beforehand was unlikely to hurt my applications (my advisers cited people being busy, especially more famous researchers), and in general they seemed to feel that if a person didn't list if they were taking on grad students this cycle a quick "Are you accepting grad students?" email was the best option.

On the flip-side some graduate students I talked to advised me that emailing people is usually a good idea, however, ultimately I decided to just focus on good personal statements/other application stuff.

However, I did email a couple of faculty members that specifically requested that they be emailed if you were applying to them. One of those professors contacted me back and we've been corresponding via email for a couple of weeks (we also had a really nice Skype chat about research).

Counting it out, I'm fairly certain I only emailed 2/15 professors and I've only corresponded with one of them (the other one didn't reply, but as @soccerplaya said professors especially at big universities are pretty much buried in applications and stuff to do, so they might just not have time to reply).

Ayy cyber high five. I'll be seeing you at the umich recruitment weekend.

*High Fives*

I'm happy to see that this great forum has brought me to other potential UM people. :D

-----

Sidenote: Forgot to mention in my first post, long time lurker (thanks to admins, mods, and past posters for all the great stuff found here), just wanted to post after the relief of getting some interviews and being accepted at a university.

Edited by C is for Caps Locks

23 hours ago, ForeverJung said:

University of Minnesota Twin Cities - Social Psychology
University of Kansas - Social Psychology
University of Delaware - Social Psychology

I saw that someone posted in the results section that they have been accepted to the Social Psychology program at UM but there is no post regarding interviews. I am a bit skeptical that a program such as the University of Minnesota would go without interviews. Do some professors simply choose to not interview candidates? Such as, they have an applicant planned out?

Hope all is well.

I applied to UMN and haven't heard anything. 

1 hour ago, 01848p said:

Has anybody heard from University of Washington or Stanford social programs?

I applied to UW and haven't heard anything, though I wasn't a great fit for the program so I'm not sure I'm a good measurement of whether invites have gone out!

On 1/12/2017 at 4:06 PM, MyDogHasAPhD said:

Really great advice. Thank you. 

I was wondering if you got the typical "Tell me about yourself" question and if so, how did you answer it? Did you provide background details about your life at all outside of psychology or did you keep it mostly academic?

Yes, the PI at UCSC asked me about my past research experience as an undergrad (which is where the majority of my presentations/papers are from). Honestly I interpreted his tone as him being skeptical that I had actually put in the work so I felt a bit more defensive than I normally would when asked about my background. Typically I would walk someone through how I got involved in research > simplified explanation of topics > CV-worthy outcomes. I did not talk at all about my personal life with him. Between the two interviews the only time I talked about non-academic topics was during my interview with the PI at Michigan; we talked about the Women's March on Washington and since I live right outside DC I offered any grad students she knows will be attending a place to stay. 

1 hour ago, C is for Caps Locks said:

I'm currently wrapping up my undergrad at the University of Iowa and a week or two ago I heard from the grapevine that at least some of the professors here hadn't even started looking at applications yet (I'm guessing they'll start when classes start on the 17th of January), so it might be a little bit longer until they start emailing people (although  I can't make any guarantees).

-------------

University of Toronto

New York University

Hey, by any chance can you share which POI you are interviewing with at NYU also, when did you receive invites for these schools?

Also, if it's not too much, do you mind sharing your stats (GPA, GRE, experience).

Congratulations!!!

Good luck to all of you with interviews and congratulations to those already accepted!!!

As for myself, another week with and still no news from 4/5 graduate programs I applied to, but at least you've all provided a lot of questions I could use to prepare myself in the event I do eventually get an interview, thank you.

16 hours ago, 01848p said:

Has anybody heard from University of Washington or Stanford social programs?

To respond to myself (lol), it looks like someone posted on the results page about receiving an email invitation for an interview today for the social program at Stanford. Someone got the same for UW too. Hope this means good news is coming my (our) way(s)! 

Edited by 01848p

8 hours ago, fadedfigures said:

Y'all are getting news, and I'm still sitting here in the dark. My interview will be here one day, someday soon. (Hopefully.) :unsure:

The good thing about psychology PhDs is that it's a war of attrition, really (maybe the exception is if someone has exceptionally low GRE scores). If you really care about it, stick with it, find good mentors, and you will get in. If not this year or in two  years, then in four.

33 minutes ago, soccerplaya said:

The good thing about psychology PhDs is that it's a war of attrition, really (maybe the exception is if someone has exceptionally low GRE scores). If you really care about it, stick with it, find good mentors, and you will get in. If not this year or in two  years, then in four.

You're right determination and hard work will pay off, but I was hoping not to have to go through this process again. Although, I already see ways to improve myself and my application for next year in the event I'm not offered admission this year. 

On 1/12/2017 at 6:23 PM, ForeverJung said:

I saw that someone posted in the results section that they have been accepted to the Social Psychology program at UM but there is no post regarding interviews. I am a bit skeptical that a program such as the University of Minnesota would go without interviews. Do some professors simply choose to not interview candidates? Such as, they have an applicant planned out?

Hope all is well.

Hello! First off- if this post is incorrectly formatted- my apologies. I literally just created my account and am trying to get used to the forum. 

I have also applied to Kansas and Iowa, and have not yet heard back. 

Hope that we both get good news ! 

Hello! I just made my account here as a way to help me wind down the hours- watching my e-mail. I thought it would be best to commiserate with you all- instead of bugging my friends/coworkers.

I sent out 12 apps for the fall 2k17 season, and am looking to research social identity in teams (as well as culture and leadership emergence in teams)

Kansas State- I/O (I have my masters in I/O)
University of Kansas
University of Kentucky
University of Nebraska- Lincoln
University of Iowa
University of Wyoming 
Texas Tech University
Florida State University 
Northern Illinois University (applied- I/O & Social)
Southern Illinois University (applied- I/O & Social)
University of Alabama
Ole Miss

So far, I have had one phone interview and am hoping and praying for an invite to an in person interview (T-tech)! 

On 1/12/2017 at 5:23 PM, ForeverJung said:

Hope all is well.

Hope your application season is going well! 

UMN social psychology does acceptances without formal interviews. 

Here's a big thing that is throwing me into a loop today. So I'm a social psychology applicant, but my research interests are better suited for a clinical psychology PI. I checked at the schools where I applied, and each school and the PIs I applied to work with said that their programs allowed this sort of cross-field mentorship. However, a number of the schools interview their clinical applicants a few weeks before the other applicants.

I'm seeing on the results page that interview offers are being made to clinical applicants, and I'm sitting here thinking, "...don't forget me!" It's rough.

Many departments I applied to seemed to have pretty different deadlines and interview dates depend on the focus, so if you applied to the social/personality to me at least it seems likely the dates won't coincide with the clinical people.

Basically, I would assume whatever your primary "sub-field" is, dictates what dates to pay attention to (for example if you applied to a social/personality POI but also talked about working with some clinical people, I'd assume you'd still fall under social/personality in regards to when they'd be looking at your stuff).

Edited by C is for Caps Locks

3 minutes ago, C is for Caps Locks said:

Many departments I applied to seemed to have pretty different deadlines and interview dates depend on the focus, so if you applied to the social/personality to me at least it seems likely the dates won't coincide with the clinical people.

Basically, I would assume whatever your primary "sub-field" is, is the dates to pay attention to.

I understand to keep an eye on my sub-field's date. I'm just (probably irrationally) worried that the professors will end up making their choices among the clinical students, and I'll be out of luck when I show up a few weeks later as a social student. Say Dr. Clinical is looking to take two new students, and he meets two he really likes during the clinical interview weekend. He might already make the decision to accept them, and then there's no more slots for me to try for.

I'm realizing how silly this sounds now that I'm typing it all out. I'm sure departments hold off on making admissions offers until they interview ALL the students (and I'm sure they make all the interview invites before they start interviewing anyone). I just have to admit it's a worry I've had today. Hurray for this process and the fact that it makes some of us think irrationally.