Ford Foundation Predoctoral fellowship 2017

DCTXK

I'm starting this forum for those who applied to the for fellowships predoctoral competition. If you want, comment with your field and standing (e.g. Non starred, first year etc)! 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well, today is the last day to upload supplemental material. How is everybody feeling about their applications? @bposadas What did you change about you app from the first time you applied? 

On 1/10/2017 at 9:20 AM, DCTXK said:

Well, today is the last day to upload supplemental material. How is everybody feeling about their applications? @bposadas What did you change about you app from the first time you applied? 

I changed the whole thing...

When I first applied, I was a master's student in one discipline preparing for a PhD program in another. One of my weaknesses was that I didn't have enough guidance at the time to write a strong proposal in my new field. The other glaring weakness was that my master's adviser wrote one of my letters. At the time, he and I had a falling out and he knew nothing about my new field. One of the reviewers actually mentioned how I need to share my essays with my letter writers so they would know what I wanted to do... which I had done... that's how much he didn't know about my new field. 

I actually got pretty good reviews, just not enough to get anything. That's one tip I learned, if you don't get it, ask for the reviews immediately after its announced so you can address the issues and try again.

15 hours ago, dillwithit said:

First time applicant here too!! I am happy everything is in, but the waiting game will be a struggle.

If it helps, I got my notice last year around March 30th. So only 2 1/2 months to go!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Well, I guess we are all about one month away from the news. Hopefully everyone on this thread gets good news. 

Hi all!

First year applicant. Been accepted to start PhD in astrophysics/astrostatistics/astroinformatics. I'm just ready to get the results. Applied in November, upload all docs in January. I'm tired of waiting.

Well, everyone, today I tried to look at my application and wasn't able to. I think this is a sign that its getting close to "that" time!

On 3/15/2017 at 8:25 AM, DCTXK said:

Well, everyone, today I tried to look at my application and wasn't able to. I think this is a sign that its getting close to "that" time!

Seconded! Are we finding out before April 15?

On 3/15/2017 at 8:25 AM, DCTXK said:

Same here!

9 hours ago, Kaede said:

Seconded! Are we finding out before April 15?

I don't know. But I do know that on last year's thread people started finding out on the 29th of March. Hopefully this year will be the same. 

On 1/31/2017 at 3:33 PM, GatorGrad2020 said:

Third year grad student in Genetics & Genomics program at University of Florida (6-7 yr PhD program); first time applying....Good luck everyone!

Go Gators! Hopefully we can add two new fellows to UF! :D

I also applied; PhD in ethics with a focus on interreligious cooperation and political responsibility. I'm in the first year of my program, but still have a few left. Also, first-time applicant too. Curious to see what shot I really have at this - guess we'll all find out soon!