Ford Foundation Predoctoral fellowship 2017

DCTXK

15 hours ago, ribonucleic said:

I'm also on their "alternate" list but I just assumed that everyone one their honorable mentions list would be considered an alternate. Is there anyone who received an e-mail stating that they will be on the honorable list but are not alternates?

I searched old threads, and someone in 2011 got an email that says they were placed on the Honorable Mention list: 

I have a question that I hope I can get some guidance on. I was selected as an alternate/honorable mention and received my reviews. I am concerned about one reviewer in particular (said I should try again next year). This reviewer mentioned that I did not follow instructions because I only submitted a signature for my verification and that this was unacceptable. However, I checked, and my full page summary was attached in the pdf I submitted. I am worried that this was a technical mistake and that it had an effect on how this reviewer viewed my application. Does anybody have any suggestions about whether or not I should say something? Has this happened to anybody else?

I didn't have an issue with the verification page but I had one reviewer rate my academic achievement as fair when everyone else rated it very good and I have a suspicion that this is why I'm an alternate. It's for the dissertation award and we had 5 reviewers. I'm seriously like what more else could I have done in regards to academic achievement. I can't go back and fix my freshman year of college but I have two degrees and working on the third, several awards, and several entries for employment that is research and teaching related. 

On 3/22/2017 at 8:13 PM, ribonucleic said:

I'm also on their "alternate" list but I just assumed that everyone one their honorable mentions list would be considered an alternate. Is there anyone who received an e-mail stating that they will be on the honorable list but are not alternates?

I am also an alternate. I have a colleague who received an honorable mention. They are different -- honorable mentions who are not alternates cannot move up the list for funding. Alternates have the possibility of funding if another fellow declines their funds. I do not know the process of selecting someone off the alternate list in the case that more funding is freed up. Anyone have any insights into this?

Edited by socdecaf33

7 hours ago, socdecaf33 said:

I am also an alternate. I have a colleague who received an honorable mention. They are different -- honorable mentions who are not alternates cannot move up the list for funding. Alternates have the possibility of funding if another fellow declines their funds. I do not know the process of selecting someone off the alternate list in the case that more funding is freed up. Anyone have any insights into this?

It looks pretty straightforward based on what the letter stated and discussion in past years threads. Awardees have a month to decline or accept the fellowship, and alternates will get a nay or yea based on where they're ranked in their field's alternate list if awardees in your field decline the offer.

For example, you're #2 on the list in literature, but only one Lit awardee declines the award, so the alternate ahead of you gets the awardee letter.

Anyone who won the award willing to share their essays with me? I am a McNair Peer Advisor and would love to share with my students a successful application, especially in the STEM fields! Message me if you are willing to share!

• 2 weeks later...

Have any alternates heard back yet?  Does anyone know when the deadline is for when alternates should hear back by?

I'm a Ford alternate who was awarded NSF as well.  I have to declare tenure for NSF by 5/1, but if I am awarded Ford I have to put NSF on reserve and accept the first year of Ford.  So hopefully I heard back before 5/1!

On 4/19/2017 at 3:21 PM, Hiphiphooray said:

Have any alternates heard back yet?  Does anyone know when the deadline is for when alternates should hear back by?

I'm a Ford alternate who was awarded NSF as well.  I have to declare tenure for NSF by 5/1, but if I am awarded Ford I have to put NSF on reserve and accept the first year of Ford.  So hopefully I heard back before 5/1!

You won't hear anything if you don't get off the alternates list.

Wait for when the awardees & honorable mentions are announced!

Hi all, I'm going to be applying next round and had a question I was hoping to pose to you all as having already gone through this process at least once. Does anyone know how heavily they weight the statement of past research? I did not get the opportunity to do any presentations or publications in undergrad and the only independent project I've lead has been a small one, done one summer about 3 or 4 years ago. I didn't do an honors thesis of anything of that sort either. I have other research experiences, but they are not in my chosen field as I did not know this was the career path I wanted to take until my final year of undergrad. So I'm worried about my ability to answer questions about methodologies I've used or results I've expected from my research...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 5/9/2017 at 3:23 PM, msscatterbrain said:

Have any alternates heard back yet?  It's been a couple weeks since it was last asked...

Nope.

Now I'm a little antsy about when they'll release the Awardees and Honorable Mention lists.

On 5/9/2017 at 6:23 PM, msscatterbrain said:

Have any alternates heard back yet?  It's been a couple weeks since it was last asked...

Alternate here. They said we'd hear back in a month (which would be the end of April). It's the end of May, so I have come to terms with that fact that I was not selected. 

• 3 weeks later...