Fall 2017 CANADIAN clinical psychology

BeezKnees

First time applicant here :) I applied to 6 schools, in Canada only.

Got an email from the POI at Concordia yesterday, letting me know that I'm part of the shortlist and inviting me to the school visit. Very excited :) 

Anyone knows how those visits go at Concordia? The POI has not been very specific in the email.

Edited by Neposydko

29 minutes ago, Neposydko said:

Got an email from the POI at Concordia yesterday, letting me know that I'm part of the shortlist and inviting me to the school visit. Very excited :) 

Anyone knows how those visits go at Concordia? The POI has not been very specific in the email.

I sent you a PM :) 

14 minutes ago, beccsx0x said:

Is it worth it to email profs at this point to follow up on your application? Or is it better to wait things out until they (possibly) contact you? 

I'd wait things out. Traditionally, most Canadian schools don't contact applicants about interviews until the second or third week or January, depending on when their interviews are. With some schools, it's the individuals POIs who will be doing the contacting (I know Ryerson does this, along with Carleton), so even if someone else has heard something from the one school, it may be that that your POI is still in the process of contacting their applicants.

5 hours ago, FacelessMage said:

I'd wait things out. Traditionally, most Canadian schools don't contact applicants about interviews until the second or third week or January, depending on when their interviews are. With some schools, it's the individuals POIs who will be doing the contacting (I know Ryerson does this, along with Carleton), so even if someone else has heard something from the one school, it may be that that your POI is still in the process of contacting their applicants.

That's kind of the way I was leaning. Thank you! :)

1 hour ago, The Waiting Game said:

I'm curious where everyone would rank Concordia's and Dalhousie's clinical programs relative to each other and to the other programs in Canada? Thoughts?

I'm not sure how other people would rate them on this thread, but on this ranking website of Canadian and American schools:

https://www.socialpsychology.org/clinrank.htm

Concordia comes in 6th place overall, whereas Dalhousie comes in 95th.

1 hour ago, The Waiting Game said:

I'm curious where everyone would rank Concordia's and Dalhousie's clinical programs relative to each other and to the other programs in Canada? Thoughts?

I feel like "ranking" clinical programs in Canada is pointless if they're accredited by the CPA. I think the rankings matter more in the US since there's a glut of non-accredited clinical PhD and PsyD programs. There's the basics such as funding, practicum opportunities, etc. that you need to consider when making a decision, but it's more important to consider the reputation of your individual POI, as they're the ones who will, largely, be writing reference letters for you, which will determine what internship opportunities you get (take it from me, the right POI can open doors for you in terms of research and clinical opportunities). 

What's most important is that you attend a program that will provide you with the necessary skills and experience to 1) get an accredited internship, and 2) meet the licensing requirements in your province. I have yet to hear of a Canadian program that fails to do this. 

14 hours ago, FacelessMage said:

For anyone applying to SFU, interview notifications have just been sent out. 

Hey, is this done through email? Also, do you know if they update our application status on their online system? As when I go to check, it doesn't say anything except the date mine was submitted. Thank you :)

2 hours ago, poojan.25 said:

Hey, is this done through email? Also, do you know if they update our application status on their online system? As when I go to check, it doesn't say anything except the date mine was submitted. Thank you :)

SFU does all their notifications through email. If you didn't get an invitation to interview, you'll likely get a rejection email within the next 2 weeks (this is my fourth time applying to SFU, so I know the drill).

FacelessMage, if you don't mind my asking, is your interview at Ryerson a preliminary interview with your POI or were you invited to the actual interview day? I'm pretty sure the official invitations aren't going out for a while, but I'm neurotic and had to ask! And congrats on all the interviews!

10 minutes ago, hsnl said:

FacelessMage, if you don't mind my asking, is your interview at Ryerson a preliminary interview with your POI or were you invited to the actual interview day? I'm pretty sure the official invitations aren't going out for a while, but I'm neurotic and had to ask! And congrats on all the interviews!

It's a preliminary interview via Skype. From my understanding (via my friend at Ryerson), the POIs usually contact folks for a preliminary interview before the invitations to the interview day go out.

Also, thanks! This is my fourth time applying, and I can't believe the amount of success that I've had!

3 hours ago, FacelessMage said:

SFU does all their notifications through email. If you didn't get an invitation to interview, you'll likely get a rejection email within the next 2 weeks (this is my fourth time applying to SFU, so I know the drill).

Thank you :) Hopefully I hear back from the other schools. 

5 hours ago, PhDPLZ said:

I have not heard back from any schools yet :( Getting worried since I have applied to Ryerson, SFU, and Concordia 

Don't give up hope for Ryerson! The initial contact is largely dependent on POI. I think there still may be POIs who have yet to contact applicants. 

On 2017-01-04 at 10:37 AM, Neposydko said:

If you don't mind sharing your POI with me privately it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

10 hours ago, FacelessMage said:

It's a preliminary interview via Skype. From my understanding (via my friend at Ryerson), the POIs usually contact folks for a preliminary interview before the invitations to the interview day go out.

Also, thanks! This is my fourth time applying, and I can't believe the amount of success that I've had!

Would you mind sharing your POI at Ryerson with me? Many thanks!

13 hours ago, PhDPLZ said:

I have not heard back from any schools yet :( Getting worried since I have applied to Ryerson, SFU, and Concordia 

I don't think ryerson POIs are done contacting people yet, so you might still hear from them! Also, I believe the Concordia interview day is just for certain POIs. 

Don't give up on them yet :) 

Edited by hsnl